Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   County Championship Division Two 2017 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=22650)

paulsre 4th July 2017 13:59

Dickson's got his 300. The first triple in English cricket, I believe, since KP's in 2015.

Ali TT 4th July 2017 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsre (Post 761644)
Dickson's got his 300. The first triple in English cricket, I believe, since KP's in 2015.

:bravo:

Although a bit of a collapse from Kent's middle order :cheesy:

Summer of '77 4th July 2017 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsre (Post 761644)
Dickson's got his 300. The first triple in English cricket, I believe, since KP's in 2015.

The second highest individual score ever for Kent, in their second highest ever team total.

In terms of landmarks, my cricket-watching cup hath runneth over this past week.

paulsre 6th July 2017 16:34

Ben Duckett has a new string to his bow as he gets his first wicket, dismissing Sam Northeast. Prior to this match he'd bowled just 2.5 overs in his career.

WeAreKent 8th July 2017 17:36

Sussex's victory throws Div Two promotion wide open and it is interesting that both Worcs and Northants have better win ratios than the apparent favourites Notts.

Two out of these five for promotion:

Northants 5 wins from 8

Worcs 5 wins from 8

Notts 5 wins from 9

Sussex 4 wins from 8

Kent 4 wins from 9

Kent have the worst win ratio of the top five - but several of the first four named above have to play each other. All Kent's remaining games are against teams that are already out of the promotion race so they could yet pull it off and end a dismal seven year run marooned in Div Two.


Second half of the competition is going to be gripping, I think.

Rigs 19th July 2017 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeAreKent (Post 762109)
Sussex's victory throws Div Two promotion wide open and it is interesting that both Worcs and Northants have better win ratios than the apparent favourites Notts.

Two out of these five for promotion:

Northants 5 wins from 8

Worcs 5 wins from 8

Notts 5 wins from 9

Sussex 4 wins from 8

Kent 4 wins from 9

Kent have the worst win ratio of the top five - but several of the first four named above have to play each other. All Kent's remaining games are against teams that are already out of the promotion race so they could yet pull it off and end a dismal seven year run marooned in Div Two.


Second half of the competition is going to be gripping, I think.

Pretty flawed stats there on a number of levels. Notts haven't lost a game and probably should have won at least 2 of the games they drew (but hey that's cricket), they are also the leading Batting and Bowling point scorers. Because of this they are 15 points clear of Worcs, 28 clear of Kent and 37 clear of Northants, who have a game in hand. I would suggest this makes them justifiable favourites.

Notts have to play Northants twice, Worcs, Sussex and Derbyshire so not the easiest of run ins but they have made life a lot easier for themselves by getting ahead of the pack in the 1st half of the season. Had Gloucs, Glamorgan not produced flat tracks and the weather stayed away for an hour against Kent we would have been pretty much promoted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/c...sion-two/table

Summer of '77 19th July 2017 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs (Post 763262)
Pretty flawed stats there on a number of levels. Notts haven't lost a game and probably should have won at least 2 of the games they drew (but hey that's cricket), they are also the leading Batting and Bowling point scorers. Because of this they are 15 points clear of Worcs, 28 clear of Kent and 37 clear of Northants, who have a game in hand. I would suggest this makes them justifiable favourites.

Notts have to play Northants twice, Worcs, Sussex and Derbyshire so not the easiest of run ins but they have made life a lot easier for themselves by getting ahead of the pack in the 1st half of the season. Had Gloucs, Glamorgan not produced flat tracks and the weather stayed away for an hour against Kent we would have been pretty much promoted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/c...sion-two/table

I don't think anyone is seriously doubting that Notts will storm back to Div One, almost certainly as champions. WAK has pretty much said so himself in earlier posts.

Mind, Notts may still have to deal with deliberately prepared flat wickets and worse home weather than the South Eastern counties in the coming weeks so they'll know they'll still need to battle hard.

Arachibutyrophobic 19th July 2017 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 763273)
I don't think anyone is seriously doubting that Notts will storm back to Div One, almost certainly as champions. WAK has pretty much said so himself in earlier posts.

Mind, Notts may still have to deal with deliberately prepared flat wickets and worse home weather than the South Eastern counties in the coming weeks so they'll know they'll still need to battle hard.

I think the stronger sides will fancy their chances a little more against a Notts side without Broad, Pattinson and Ball. Apart from, possibly Derbyshire (who would have beaten us at TB without rain), I would be surprised if we thrashed anyone else this season.

Rigs 19th July 2017 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 763273)
I don't think anyone is seriously doubting that Notts will storm back to Div One, almost certainly as champions. WAK has pretty much said so himself in earlier posts.

Mind, Notts may still have to deal with deliberately prepared flat wickets and worse home weather than the South Eastern counties in the coming weeks so they'll know they'll still need to battle hard.

I try and not be too biased but had to set the record straight on that one particular post.

Notts have 5 games left and most/all of them have meaning. As Arachibutyrophobic says though, Notts will also be without Broad, Pattinson Ball for differing reasons although Ball may play having just come back from injury. Fletcher is also out for the season but Notts have signed Footit. So it will be up to him and the likes of Gurney, Wood, Hutton to step up and show they are good enough.

I think it will be good run in for Div2. I just think that as long Notts don't implode (this is Notts though!) I think they will squeeze home by 10 or so points. Notts to take it to the last game....typically!

Summer of '77 19th July 2017 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs (Post 763282)
I try and not be too biased but had to set the record straight on that one particular post.

Notts have 5 games left and most/all of them have meaning. As Arachibutyrophobic says though, Notts will also be without Broad, Pattinson Ball for differing reasons although Ball may play having just come back from injury. Fletcher is also out for the season but Notts have signed Footit. So it will be up to him and the likes of Gurney, Wood, Hutton to step up and show they are good enough.

I think it will be good run in for Div2. I just think that as long Notts don't implode (this is Notts though!) I think they will squeeze home by 10 or so points. Notts to take it to the last game....typically!

Aye, you can never be sure, although history shows that the side in pole position in Div Two at the mid-season break tends to be the side that either wins the thing or gets promoted as runners up. Notts are in excess of a max points win ahead of Kent in 3rd place. Northants are theoretically better placed with their game in hand but if Notts keep piling on the batting points and not losing, it's going to take some effort to catch them. The odd points system that can see 21 awarded for some wins and 13 for a max point draw can make playing catch up a difficult task. And Northants have so far managed just 17 batting points from 8 games, which includes the road at Beckenham. I can see Notts being promoted with a game to go and perhaps needing a Trump handful of points in the final match to take the title.

Supersax 21st July 2017 09:06

I think a lot may depend on who Notts get as their overseas player for the last 4 games (Dan Christian is likely to fill in for the Derbyshire game). Notts are still hoping that Pattinson may return.

Ricky_Rabbit 23rd July 2017 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersax (Post 763450)
I think a lot may depend on who Notts get as their overseas player for the last 4 games (Dan Christian is likely to fill in for the Derbyshire game). Notts are still hoping that Pattinson may return.

Well I would say that Footitt will give Notts attack an extra dimension on flat wickets and if Patto comes back, that would be the icing on the cake. We don't know what will become of Jake Ball of course, he might end up playing a game or two.

Although its sad for Lumb to retire when he did, I think it will have a positive effect on our CC batting.

Supersax 3rd August 2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersax (Post 763450)
I think a lot may depend on who Notts get as their overseas player for the last 4 games (Dan Christian is likely to fill in for the Derbyshire game). Notts are still hoping that Pattinson may return.

It looks like Pattinson is not going to be returning to Notts. Moores says that Ish Sodhi is now in contention to play in the next Championship game at Derby

Fred 8th August 2017 18:11

Sussex's win over Worcestershire today makes the promotion race more interesting.

Ricky_Rabbit 9th August 2017 19:39

Notts win with maximum points despite losing four sessions to weather. Oh, and with a home grown bowling attack!

For my money, the others are playing for second place now.

B@sil 9th August 2017 20:49

Worcestershire are in need of a new overseas player for the rest of the season as John Hastings has gone back to Oz with a foot injury. I would pick Santner as he is already here for the T20 and I think we can cover Hastings' loss as a bowler.

Rigs 10th August 2017 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_Rabbit (Post 765600)
Notts win with maximum points despite losing four sessions to weather. Oh, and with a home grown bowling attack!

For my money, the others are playing for second place now.

Great win made all the better with a number of draws and Worcs losing. I think it will be us and Sussex to go up as they seem to have momentum.

Didn't click about the home grown attack, but yes great stuff and without Fletch as well!

Summer of '77 10th August 2017 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_Rabbit (Post 765600)
Notts win with maximum points despite losing four sessions to weather. Oh, and with a home grown bowling attack!

For my money, the others are playing for second place now.

I think the money of most Div 2 fans has been on Notts for a fair while now, Ricky. In theory, they have a difficult run in but I suspect those games will be more difficult for their opponents.

Ricky_Rabbit 11th August 2017 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 765630)
I think the money of most Div 2 fans has been on Notts for a fair while now, Ricky. In theory, they have a difficult run in but I suspect those games will be more difficult for their opponents.

It's tricky, but can see us winning 2 out of 4.

WeAreKent 24th August 2017 16:35

Well it's Notts and one from Worcs, Northants, Sussex and Kent.

Very honest assessment by Kent, who say they will need to win three of their remaining five games to finish in the top two.

It will be some achievement if they do, as after a good start in winning their first three, they went off the boil after the departure of Parnell and Harris and have only won one of their last six.

I quite fancy Sussex for a late run. They've still got to play Notts and Northants, but will expect to beat GLamorgan at Colwyn Bay next week (not least because last night Rudolph said he wants to rest all their best players in advance of T20 finals day ) and fancy their chances of seeing off Derby and Durham.

However, there's a quiet efficiency about Worcs and their signing of Ashwin is likely to prove more successful than Kent's bold but ultimately fruitless recruitment of Yasir Shah for three winless matches.

Worcs also have to play Notts but will fancy their chances against Glos, Leics and Durham.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org