Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   County Championship Division Two 2017 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=22650)

Aidan11 24th April 2017 21:32

A stubborn last wicket stand cost us the game today.

Draw was a fair result.

B@sil 6th May 2017 00:40

is it me, or is there a chasm opening up between the top four and the rest in Div 2?

sanskritsimon 7th May 2017 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by B@sil (Post 757768)
is it me, or is there a chasm opening up between the top four and the rest in Div 2?

I'm not sure about the use of the present continuous tense here. CC season 2017A has finished, and 2017B is yet to begin.

Maty 8th May 2017 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by B@sil (Post 757768)
is it me, or is there a chasm opening up between the top four and the rest in Div 2?

Seems that way and i'd suggest rightly or wrongly that before to long we'll be heading towards a three division structure. Personally i wouldn't be adverse to that but i presume there are a lot on here who would be.

Zebroston Chase 8th May 2017 15:54

I would much rather have 3 divisions of 6 and an equal fixture list than the farce we have atm.

paulsre 8th May 2017 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Zebrade (Post 757927)
I would much rather have 3 divisions of 6 and an equal fixture list than the farce we have atm.

Though fwiw, for most of its history the Championship has been played in some lopsided way - it's only since the adoption of 2 divisions that teams played each other equally home and away. Apart from a period in the 1990s, when teams played each other just once, most seasons saw teams play some teams once and some twice. And for some periods, including as recently as 1962 not all the teams even played the same number of matches!

WeAreKent 8th May 2017 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsre (Post 757933)
And for some periods, including as recently as 1962 not all the teams even played the same number of matches!

1962 was the last golden year before #propercricket began it's long, slow death.

There was no horrible one day cricket as the Gillette Cup was still a year away.

For sadly the last time we had Gentleman v Players at Lord's, in which working-class oiks like Trueman were quite rightly not allowed to enter the field of play by the same gate as the Oxbridge elite.

And nobody was crass enough to insist that Leics and Northants had a right to play as many games as Surrey and Yorkshire.

Ah, for the good old days...

Summer of '77 8th May 2017 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeAreKent (Post 757940)
And nobody was crass enough to insist that Leics and Northants had a right to play as many games as Surrey and Yorkshire.

Although, in 1962, those counties did play as many games as Surrey.

Maty 8th May 2017 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Zebrade (Post 757927)
I would much rather have 3 divisions of 6 and an equal fixture list than the farce we have atm.

I agree with you 100%

I'm in two minds as a derbyshire supporter given it would only really serve to widen the gap but on the other hand it would at least add some purpose whereas this year in reality the best we could hope is a meandering mid table finish.

Zebroston Chase 8th May 2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maty (Post 757947)
I agree with you 100%

I'm in two minds as a derbyshire supporter given it would only really serve to widen the gap but on the other hand it would at least ads some purpose whereas this year in reality the best we could hope is finishing the best mid table.

More chance for a 3rd division county to really work on grassroots etc to move up than the inertia clad 2nd div we have at the moment. In theory.

paulsre 9th May 2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeAreKent (Post 757940)
1962 was the last golden year before #propercricket began it's long, slow death.

There was no horrible one day cricket as the Gillette Cup was still a year away.

For sadly the last time we had Gentleman v Players at Lord's, in which working-class oiks like Trueman were quite rightly not allowed to enter the field of play by the same gate as the Oxbridge elite.

And nobody was crass enough to insist that Leics and Northants had a right to play as many games as Surrey and Yorkshire.

Ah, for the good old days...

You don't say. I was just pointing out that for most of its history the Championship has had lopsided fixture programmes, nothing else.

WeAreKent 9th May 2017 10:56

I appreciate that, Paul. Do they not do irony in Stockholm? (smiley thing goes here!)

paulsre 9th May 2017 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeAreKent (Post 757969)
I appreciate that, Paul. Do they not do irony in Stockholm? (smiley thing goes here!)

Yes, of course. They do. They also do a snowstorm today, which didn't put me in the greatest mood.

Summer of '77 22nd May 2017 12:23

Darren Stevens reaches a hundred at his old home ground of Grace Road - Kent avoid the follow on and remain well placed for max batting points.

In 7 CC innings this season, Stevens has made four half centuries and one century. He also has 23 wickets at below 12. 41 is the new 25.

Notts Exile 22nd May 2017 14:50

Can Glamorgan bat two days to avoid defeat against Notts? (75% of the way there!) What has happened to the pitch? Are Notts toothless without James Pattinson?

stevieh 22nd May 2017 15:02

Glamorgan are putting up some resistance to thwart Notts, with Ingram scoring a century in the follow-on. Still, they are 5 down and only 90 ahead.

paulsre 22nd May 2017 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notts Exile (Post 758366)
Can Glamorgan bat two days to avoid defeat against Notts? (75% of the way there!) What has happened to the pitch? Are Notts toothless without James Pattinson?


Apparently it is a very easy pitch but it is nevertheless a terrific effort in application. It's rare for a side to bat two whole days to save a match. Usually they crumble under scoreboard pressure, and they were 54-3 at one point.

Notts Exile 22nd May 2017 16:47

Doesn't reflect particularly well on the Notts attack. Green track bullies maybe?

paulsre 22nd May 2017 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notts Exile (Post 758371)
Doesn't reflect particularly well on the Notts attack. Green track bullies maybe?

It's going to be interesting to see how they get on without Ball, Broad and Pattinson.

Summer of '77 22nd May 2017 17:31

Sussex well in control against Durham, with Wells and Van Zyl's 3rd wicket stand now past 350. The county record of 385 set by Yardy and Goodwin in 2006 could be broken this evening.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org