Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   County Championship Division Two 2017 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=22650)

sanskritsimon 13th June 2017 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersax (Post 759762)
If you read the report of today's play on Cricinfo, you'll see that the writer condemns the pitch as doing 'more damage to the County Championship' than any city-based T20 competition'. The fact that Notts resorted to Riki Wessels filthy legspin half an hour after lunch says it all really.

Notts do lack a quality frontline spinner, but toothless is a bit harsh.

It probably is. But Notts have been playing an unbalanced attack as standard for years now, with no frontline spinner, so they're bound to get into trouble when there isn't really any assistance for the quick bowlers, and they're bound to resort to substandard part-time spinners in such situations as a result. I don't really see how a pitch that exposes a rather one-dimensional attack for what it is is bad for the county championship. Maybe they'd've done better with a full-strength attack; who knows. But I think it devalues the batting efforts to blame the pitch for the draw.

gmdf 13th June 2017 17:51

While not wanting to intrude on private grief (;)), it might be worth pointing out that Notts batted a whopping 166 overs at 3.22 in scoring 535-8 dec. and then failed to bowl out Gloucs in 96 overs.

Maybe if they'd batted a bit faster, they'd have had time to win? Oh, and also if they'd selected a balanced attack!

Notts Exile 16th June 2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmdf (Post 759844)
Maybe if they'd batted a bit faster, they'd have had time to win? Oh, and also if they'd selected a balanced attack!

I think it's pretty clear that the wouldn't have scored over 500 had they batted more aggressively. The wickets just didn't encourage strokeplay, look at Samit's strike rate, is he a man to plod along?

Your point about a more balanced attack is interesting, two left armer swing bowlers, two right arm and a slow left armer. Suggests reasonable balance, maybe it's just the quality of slow bowler you're challenging? Don't worry, many of us have done so for quite a while.

Rigs 16th June 2017 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmdf (Post 759844)
While not wanting to intrude on private grief (;)), it might be worth pointing out that Notts batted a whopping 166 overs at 3.22 in scoring 535-8 dec. and then failed to bowl out Gloucs in 96 overs.

Not sure your summary of the batting 'speed' or the Notts balanced attack is entirely accurate but thanks anyway.

WeAreKent 16th June 2017 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notts Exile (Post 760097)
Your point about a more balanced attack is interesting, two left armer swing bowlers, two right arm and a slow left armer.

lol...nobody to bowl underarm reverse-swinging off-cutting googlies!

Rigs 19th June 2017 09:55

Two big CC games in the next two weeks. Both at home to Leics and Kent respectively. The Notts website is saying Broad and Ball are available against Leics, starting today. Pattinson is also back so I expect Taylor to come in for Pujara. We need to use these two games to create a gap between us and 3rd. A win and draw would be ideal, two wins even better (obviously).

Ricky_Rabbit 19th June 2017 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs (Post 760287)
Two big CC games in the next two weeks. Both at home to Leics and Kent respectively. The Notts website is saying Broad and Ball are available against Leics, starting today. Pattinson is also back so I expect Taylor to come in for Pujara. We need to use these two games to create a gap between us and 3rd. A win and draw would be ideal, two wins even better (obviously).

I cannot fathom why Leics decided to bowl, on a red hot day, against a side who have just racked up 800 runs in less than 100 overs.

Samit keeps racking them up and its already looking like a game Notts cannot lose.

Rigs 20th June 2017 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_Rabbit (Post 760318)
I cannot fathom why Leics decided to bowl, on a red hot day, against a side who have just racked up 800 runs in less than 100 overs.

Samit keeps racking them up and its already looking like a game Notts cannot lose.

Negative cricket to me. If its a scorcher you bat.

paulsre 20th June 2017 07:34

Quote:

Maybe because Derbyshire did that in the last game and bowled Notts out for 229.

Arachibutyrophobic 20th June 2017 09:22

Quote:

Because the pitch looked a little green and they were terrified of facing Broad, Pattinson and Ball. Absolutely the wrong decision.

paulsre 20th June 2017 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arachibutyrophobic (Post 760347)
Because the pitch looked a little green and they were terrified of facing Broad, Pattinson and Ball. Absolutely the wrong decision.

I think everyone has put Notts in at Trent Bridge this season. I think it's only worked out once.

Ricky_Rabbit 20th June 2017 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsre (Post 760351)
I think everyone has put Notts in at Trent Bridge this season. I think it's only worked out once.

...and we still didn't lose.

One poor performance does not a summer make.

Rigs 21st June 2017 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsre (Post 760351)

I have a feeling the ground staff are intentionally leaving the top a little green to confuse the opposition captain. Add this to the perception that it is a seamer's paradise and this results in dodgy insertions. As has been said at Trent Bridge since April 'Don't look down, look up!'

1000yardstare 21st June 2017 12:45

One over from Broad and he has left the field.

Notts Exile 21st June 2017 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000yardstare (Post 760458)
One over from Broad and he has left the field.

Hmmm. From what I've seen of him this summer he's lost something too. He's not had that nip that gets him wickets. He's been outbowled by James Pattinson and by Jake Ball too.

1000yardstare 21st June 2017 14:07

That didn't take long Notts. An innings and 280 runs.

stevieh 21st June 2017 15:18

Kent vs Worcs is bubbling up nicely, with Denly leading the way in Kent's second innings. Moeen has been innocuous, which could be a concern were Kent counting on Yasir to bowl them to victory. Good to see Joe Clarke getting an important century for Worcester.

ScottyMuser 21st June 2017 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieh (Post 760475)
Kent vs Worcs is bubbling up nicely, with Denly leading the way in Kent's second innings. Moeen has been innocuous, which could be a concern were Kent counting on Yasir to bowl them to victory. Good to see Joe Clarke getting an important century for Worcester.

It could be a concern about Ali's bowling, or it could be more an indication of how completely useless he actually is in the longer forms at trying to take wickets - seems unfair to compare Shah, who in the last 18 months has 73 test wickets from 14 matches, SR of 64 and Average of 35.9 with Ali, who in the same time has 37 from 17 matches, SR of 86 and Average of 53, then concluding that Shah won't be able to, on a 4th day wicket (instead of 3rd day), take wickets

1000yardstare 21st June 2017 15:59

If a team wins by an innings I think they should get 2 extra points. :)

Rigs 21st June 2017 16:30

Perfect result between Kent and Worcs for Notts would be a draw. Essex got promoted last season on 235 points. We are currently on 148.