Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Women's Cricket Thread (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=17374)

Rey 30th March 2014 22:44

Women's Cricket Thread

Currently in the middle of the Women's World T20 - England had come into this tournament slightly less fancied than usual, with a couple of injuries and Arran Brindle retiring. However they're into the semis after winning three out of four games. Anya Shrubsole has taken 3-6 and 3-9, and leads the wicket table with 10. Of course Australia are in the semis with them, with one round of games left to decide the other two teams.

Biju 31st March 2014 11:11

Anyone watching?

Hector 31st March 2014 20:59

I wonder whether the women's team, probably free of the politics and other shenanigans that seemingly hamstring the mens team, are able to perform better cos they are able to pick the best team available?!

cabinboy 31st March 2014 22:54

Think I'd rather watch the women's team.

Rebelstar 3rd April 2014 13:50

Why did someone schedule the men's and women's events to be taking place at the same time?!?!?

While the women's game is always likely to lag behind in popularity, this is hardly a great decision. They could have played one then the other, unless someone did it deliberately to sabotage the women's game

JG_ 3rd April 2014 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelstar (Post 621362)
Why did someone schedule the men's and women's events to be taking place at the same time?!?!?

While the women's game is always likely to lag behind in popularity, this is hardly a great decision. They could have played one then the other, unless someone did it deliberately to sabotage the women's game

This has happened for the last 4 tournaments, keep up. Generally some games are played back-to-back with the men's games so the women play in front of much bigger crowds than usual, it's been quite well received.

Zebroston Chase 4th April 2014 15:45

Could Anya Shrubsole play for the men's team please. Maybe a composite team could be put together for the first test of the summer.

Cook
Edwards
Bell
Root
?
Stokes
Taylor+
Broad
Anderson
Shrubsole
Panesar

We'd only need to find one batsman then...

Zebroston Chase 4th April 2014 15:45

Lottie could captain too.

Midnight 6th April 2014 15:03

Pretty awful standard; Aussie women far too good.

ConfusedMale 6th April 2014 15:08

I'm surprised not many more were following, considering the English women were in the finals.

square leg umpire 6th April 2014 18:22

Perhaps Ashley Giles gave our women a pep talk.

Silly Deep Cover 7th April 2014 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabinboy (Post 621089)
Think I'd rather watch the women's team.

Me, too. At least they do better than expected.

JG_ 7th April 2014 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Deep Cover (Post 621864)
Me, too. At least they do better than expected.

I think they did exactly as expected this tournament- they were the second favourites, weren't they?

sillypoint 10th April 2014 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by JG_ (Post 621386)
This has happened for the last 4 tournaments, keep up. Generally some games are played back-to-back with the men's games so the women play in front of much bigger crowds than usual, it's been quite well received.

Quite. And no broadcaster is going to bring a crew over for the women's game, but if the games are played at the same venues during the same time period, the women's games might actually get a mention during the coverage of the men's games.

Ali TT 14th July 2014 13:43

The ECB have announced that the women's team have signed their first standalone sponsorship deal with Kia Motors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28293479

Presumably this is subsidising the women's game over the men's or something.

Hector 14th July 2014 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 634881)
The ECB have announced that the women's team have signed their first standalone sponsorship deal with Kia Motors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28293479

Presumably this is subsidising the women's game over the men's or something.

Sky Sports is apparently.

Northantsfanone 14th July 2014 21:49

The KIA deal gives the girls free cars and little else.

Ali TT 13th August 2014 12:59

England v India in a one-off test starts today. England 5/1 off 8 overs currently. Probably weighed down by all those subsidies.

Hector 13th August 2014 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 639485)
England v India in a one-off test starts today. England 5/1 off 8 overs currently. Probably weighed down by all those subsidies.

Couldnt have picked a better venue than Wormsley. Apparently this is India's first test in 8 years!

Hector 13th August 2014 14:13

The Indian women are showing their male counterparts how its done! England 49-5 now.