Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   South Africa v England 1st test, Durban Dec 26-30 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=20367)

Chin Music 24th December 2015 07:57

South Africa v England 1st test, Durban Dec 26-30

Ok folks step right up for the Boxing Day test.

SA from Elgar, Van Zyl, Bavuma, Amla, Du Plessis, De Villiers, Duminy, Roussouw, Abbott, Piedt, Morkel, Rabada, Steyn

Eng (likely line-up) Cook, Hales, Compton, Root, Taylor, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Finn.

Edit: Dobell and Cricinfo confirm that Anderson has been ruled out of the first test. As I said on the tour thread I thought it was highly likely with only 2 days gap between this game and the 2nd test.

For SA I would have thought that Bavuma may open and that Roussouw and Rabada would be the ones to miss out but the likes of Slop and Maty may be able to suggest otherwise.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 24th December 2015 08:08

Could be some low scores this series. The batting doesn't look too clever.

Surely Woakes for Jimmy, as you say.

Rey 24th December 2015 08:55

This article highlights some of South Africa's batting problems. Bavuma is likely to bat in the middle order because of his height.

I'd like to know opinions on Russell Domingo - he has the air of another Peter Moores to me.

Psyduck 24th December 2015 09:19

Massive blow to lose Jimmy at the eleventh hour. I think this series was shaping up as too close to call but this changes things somewhat. I remain to be convinced Woakes is test class but he will likely be given an opportunity to prove otherwise.

Chin - Van Zyl will definitely open with Bavuma to come in at 6 or 7. I agree that Roussouw and Rabada will be left out. Quite a long tail for SA with Steyn likely to bat at 8.

Chin Music 24th December 2015 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyduck (Post 696272)
Massive blow to lose Jimmy at the eleventh hour. I think this series was shaping up as too close to call but this changes things somewhat. I remain to be convinced Woakes is test class but he will likely be given an opportunity to prove otherwise.

Chin - Van Zyl will definitely open with Bavuma to come in at 6 or 7. I agree that Roussouw and Rambada will be left. Quite a long tail for SA with Steyn likely to bat at 8.

Cheers Psy, I've read that he's going to bat in the middle order. They certainly have more than a couple of gaps in the batting, but then again so do England.

I did think that England were going to pick a more defensive seamer after Anderson was ruled out and Woakes was the more obvious choice. I couldn't see them going in with Finn and Fottitt although it might have been fun to watch.

cg3 24th December 2015 09:29

Quote:

Yeah, that's a really huge blow. Just seeing Anderson's name on the team sheet raises the intimidation factor for the opposition - he has become a really exceptional bowler in all conditions.

That said, as mentioned above the SA batting line-up is a bit short on confidence at the moment.

Chin Music 24th December 2015 09:35

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte....html?genre=27

Mark Butcher is superb on this podcast. Head to the second part of this that discusses the make up of the team and the contrast between where the two teams are at.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 24th December 2015 09:48

Quote:

Chin - Van Zyl will definitely open with Bavuma to come in at 6 or 7. I agree that Roussouw and Rabada will be left out. Quite a long tail for SA with Steyn likely to bat at 8.

They have steyn at 8 and we have broad at 10. Wouldn't it be fun if we won the series because of power order runs? Moeen, Woakes, broad and Finn is a decent tail.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 24th December 2015 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cg3 (Post 696274)
Yeah, that's a really huge blow. Just seeing Anderson's name on the team sheet raises the intimidation factor for the opposition - he has become a really exceptional bowler in all conditions.

That said, as mentioned above the SA batting line-up is a bit short on confidence at the moment.

Last time Jimmy missed a test the media were building up as crucial we put the oppo in and had a bat before lunch :)

Psyduck 24th December 2015 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 696277)
Last time Jimmy missed a test the media were building up as crucial we put the oppo in and had a bat before lunch :)

The last time Jimmy missed a test we put the oppo in and they made nearly 500 at four an over. England lost by an innings. They only difference in the likely bowling attack is Woakes instead of Wood, which clearly weakens it.

YAMS 24th December 2015 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin Music (Post 696275)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte....html?genre=27

Mark Butcher is superb on this podcast. Head to the second part of this that discusses the make up of the team and the contrast between where the two teams are at.

Butcher is superb in general. Fantastic cricket pundit/expert.

slop 24th December 2015 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cg3 (Post 696274)

SA are Philanderless and I have a feeling Steyn will be missing for a test or two, and that's assuming he's at full fitness now.

D/L 24th December 2015 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 696276)
They have steyn at 8 and we have broad at 10. Wouldn't it be fun if we won the series because of power order runs? Moeen, Woakes, broad and Finn is a decent tail.

Well, you're half right on this occasion.

Not sure a compulsive slogger at 10 and a compulsive blocker at 11 is really what we need.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 24th December 2015 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by D/L (Post 696281)

Not sure a compulsive slogger at 10 and a compulsive blocker at 11 is really what we need.

Name me a better number 10 in world cricket. In fact how about five better in the history of test cricket.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 24th December 2015 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyduck (Post 696278)
The last time Jimmy missed a test we put the oppo in and they made nearly 500 at four an over. England lost by an innings. They only difference in the likely bowling attack is Woakes instead of Wood, which clearly weakens it.

That was not after a massive build up though was it? And a superior first class record for Woakes (not playing half his matches at Durham). Woakes has only played a handful of tests so we can't judge his bowling on those just yet.

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 24th December 2015 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 696276)

Please tell me power order was just a typo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by D/L (Post 696281)

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 696282)
Name me a better number 10 in world cricket. In fact how about five better in the history of test cricket.

Let me guess... Rhodes, Trueman, Verity, Gough and Plunkett

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 24th December 2015 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 696271)
This article highlights some of South Africa's batting problems. Bavuma is likely to bat in the middle order because of his height.

I'd like to know opinions on Russell Domingo - he has the air of another Peter Moores to me.

He's smaller than James Taylor:wtf:

1000yardstare 24th December 2015 13:04

Quote:

Cricinfo

"If you talk to Jimmy, he feels he could have played here," Stuart Broad said. "It's just a slight niggle, but the management decided it really wasn't worth the risk in the first Test. There's a feeling he'll be okay for Cape Town".

Anderson has played with niggles before but the new management reckon that he won't be missed. He and Broad also felt he could have played in the 5th Test at the Oval.

He is not getting enough bowling now he is just playing Tests. 393.3 overs this year and 330.0 last year. The year before 531.5. That is what he is used to. Less bowling - more injuries.

Jock McTuffnel v3 24th December 2015 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother (Post 696284)
Please tell me power order was just a typo?
t

He meant "powder puff" 🎅🏻

Jock McTuffnel v3 24th December 2015 13:22

Just backed Finny to be top English wicket taker in the series.