Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mbargogate (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=23447)

luckyluke 12th October 2017 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanskritsimon (Post 771498)
I long since gave up trying to work out what D/L's point of view is. I daresay such a thing may exist, but it's so deeply hidden (under the weight of his tedious need to put down all others and present himself as the only person on the planet with a brain) that no one could be expected to look for it. I think he once made a good joke, but of course I can't remember what it was.

Can I just point out were not all like him (or Boycott) in Yorkshire!

Notts Exile 12th October 2017 12:11

Quote:

I long since gave up trying to work out what D/L's point of view is. I daresay such a thing may exist, but it's so deeply hidden (under the weight of his tedious need to put down all others and present himself as the only person on the planet with a brain) that no one could be expected to look for it. I think he once made a good joke, but of course I can't remember what it was.

Exactly why the Ignore function exists.

Psyduck 12th October 2017 12:36

Quote:

D/L clearly has one of the fiercest intellects in human history; even if you did unearth his point of view you almost certainly wouldn't understand it.

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 12th October 2017 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 771487)
DL seems to be arguing himself down an odd cul-de-sac, possibly just because he feels the need to be contrarian. If there is any truth to the speculations on this board then the police will likely find it, making the speculation more robust in face of media scrutiny. Either way, I'm not sure any of us need to face media scrutiny for our musings on here. I also expect most jurors won't have heard of Ben Stokes, given the low public profile of cricket in England, so I'm sure his trial, if it comes, will be fair. Probably not go beyond magistrates anyway.

Don't think that's right (the bit about magistrates not DL arguing himself down an odd cul-de-sac which seems only too believable) and if actually charged Stokes will opt for trial by jury. Juries are much more sympathetic to defendants than cynical magistrates who see hundreds of case a week (e.g. Steven Gerrard getting off his assault charge).

Comte Nom de Plume 12th October 2017 13:12

Bring back the stocks.

Stokes in the stocks has a certain ring to it.

D/L 12th October 2017 14:17

Quote:

For the benefit of those who may not have spotted it, I feel I need to issue another irony alert here.

luckyluke 12th October 2017 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother (Post 771505)
Don't think that's right (the bit about magistrates not DL arguing himself down an odd cul-de-sac which seems only too believable) and if actually charged Stokes will opt for trial by jury. Juries are much more sympathetic to defendants than cynical magistrates who see hundreds of case a week (e.g. Steven Gerrard getting off his assault charge).

Going by the footage, he should opt for trial by combat

oldandfat 12th October 2017 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by D/L (Post 771493)
Still denying reality then? Stokes' sponsors, at least, seem to think public opinion is important.

Alternatively they have gained far more publicity by dumping him than they got from his 200K sponsorship...

D/L 12th October 2017 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyluke (Post 771500)
Sportswear companies have a bit less due process compared to the courts, I think.

But surely you can see that the decision has been made in the light of public opinion which you said counts for nothing.

D/L 12th October 2017 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notts Exile (Post 771502)
Exactly why the Ignore function exists.

Someone else advocating the loser's approach, I see.

D/L 12th October 2017 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyduck (Post 771503)
D/L clearly has one of the fiercest intellects in human history; even if you did unearth his point of view you almost certainly wouldn't understand it.

I'll not be tempted into a battle of wits with such a well armed person.

D/L 12th October 2017 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandfat (Post 771511)
Alternatively they have gained far more publicity by dumping him than they got from his 200K sponsorship...

The more realistic view may be that they no longer want Stokes associated with their product.

D/L 12th October 2017 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyluke (Post 771501)
Can I just point out were not all like him (or Boycott) in Yorkshire!

There are many people not like any particular individual they share a region with and it has to be very good that not all in Yorkshire are deniers of reality.

stevieh 12th October 2017 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by D/L (Post 771513)
But surely you can see that the decision has been made in the light of public opinion which you said counts for nothing.

I think the point made was that public opinion doesn’t count in the court of law, but we all know how important it is in public life and the world of sportspeople and celebrities.

By most measures Stokes has already been heavily punished for his indiscretions. Certainly the stocks are not required.

Ali TT 12th October 2017 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comte Nom de Plume (Post 771507)
Bring back the stocks.

Stokes in the stocks has a certain ring to it.

But where does this all leave hopes for the Stokes-Foakes-Woakes dream combination?

sanskritsimon 12th October 2017 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 771524)
But where does this all leave hopes for the Stokes-Foakes-Woakes dream combination?

Stokes in stocks with just socks and box, sir
Woakes with England blokes (sad cricket jokes), sir
Foakes makes do with yolks, cokes, and soaks, sir

luckyluke 12th October 2017 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 771524)

This should actually have as much weight on the legal considerations as the mob mentality D/L advocates.

D/L 13th October 2017 15:58

So the courts need to consider the impact of any decision they make on our cricket team's chances of success. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

What mob mentality? That's something else you've dreamed up, presumably. I'm simply calling for due process without fear or favour.

luckyluke 13th October 2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by D/L (Post 771591)
So the courts need to consider the impact of any decision they make on our cricket team's chances of success. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

Of course its ridiculous. I was inferring that having three players whose names rhyme should be as important as public opinion in administering justice, that is, not important at all.

Quote:

mob mentality? That's something else you've dreamed up, presumably. I'm simply calling for due process without fear or favour.
Me too, although that seems to be a change of your position.

D/L 14th October 2017 11:26

Then you have really misinterpreted what you have read.

Any chance of quoting anything to back up your statement?