Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mbargogate (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=23447)

WeAreKent 30th November 2017 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 (Post 772718)
Police have passed the buck.

No they have not.

Here are the official CPS guidelines:

'If following assessment a police decision maker considers there is sufficient evidence to charge a suspect and the case is one which this Guidance requires to be referred to a prosecutor to determine whether the suspect is to be charged the case shall be so referred'.

From that we know this much:

a) The police have concluded there is sufficient evidence to charge Stokes.

b) The charge under consideration is not the lesser offence of common assault, a charge which the police would bring themsleves without reference to the CPS and falls outside the 'guidance' mentioned above, but is almost certainly the more serious charge of ABH.

c) The only grounds on which the CPS will not procede with a prosecution is if either (i) they assess that they are unlikely to secure a guilty verdict in court (based not so much on the police evidence but by assessing what the defence case might be and taking a judgment on whether it might convince a jury) or (ii) they conclude that a prosecution is against the public interest.

Psyduck 3rd December 2017 08:29

2 and 9-0-49-0 for Stokes on his Canterbury debut.

Psyduck 6th December 2017 07:39

34 and 7-0-39-0 for England’s cricketing deity in Canterbury’s latest defeat.

Boxing Roo 6th December 2017 07:41

Ali needs to go, Cook needs to go, Anderson needs to go

Psyduck 6th December 2017 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxing Roo (Post 773336)
Ali needs to go, Cook needs to go, Anderson needs to go

LOL. Smith needs to go, Cummins needs to go, Lyon needs to go.

Ali TT 6th December 2017 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyduck (Post 773335)
34 and 7-0-39-0 for Englandís cricketing deity in Canterburyís latest defeat.

Although according to our resident expert on here, Canterbury were going to decline to select him, so at least him playing is something.

gmdf 6th December 2017 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 773347)
Although according to our resident expert on here, Canterbury were going to decline to select him, so at least him playing is something.

:good:

;)

Comte Nom de Plume 6th December 2017 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyduck (Post 773338)
LOL. Smith needs to go, Cummins needs to go, Lyon needs to go.

And we'll all go together, to pick wild mountain thyme etc etc

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 7th December 2017 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeAreKent (Post 772690)
I'd guess he will now be charged with actual bodily harm rather than the lesser offence of common assualt or affray, which is what the ECB were hoping for if the police referred the case to the CPS.

A fractured eye socket is no small matter and my understanding is that now makes a charge of common assault impossible.

Stokes will take no part in this Ashes series - which I accepted as inevitable the moment I saw that video.

Canterbury will also now decline to select him and I'd guess he will be flying back to the UK fairly shortly...

Selected for the ODI series

Psyduck 8th December 2017 13:32

Much as I am delighted to see Stokes in the ODI squad it does rather contradict the ECB stance that he is not available for selection until the CPS decide whether they are going to charge him with ABH. On that note are we expecting a decision this side of Christmas?

DanielVettoriSpin 10th December 2017 09:59

Run out ball watching having only faced a single ball today.

https://scoring.nzc.nz/livescoring/m...scorecard.aspx - click on the dismissal to see the wicket.

Psyduck 10th December 2017 12:25

10-0-56-1 with the ball too. He’s not exactly tearing it up is he?

Bestie 10th December 2017 15:22

He's an odd one, he never seems to do that well for Durham either when he does play these days. I mean you can understand if he's a bit distracted at the minute but I do wonder if he needs a big stage to really focus himself in general.

Sir Coolerking 15th December 2017 12:50

No mention of the fact Stokes smacked 93 off 47 balls yesterday in a T20 Match (also took 1-17 in 2 overs)......looks like he's over his jetlag then.

Jock McTuffnel v3 15th December 2017 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 774060)
No mention of the fact Stokes smacked 93 off 47 balls yesterday in a T20 Match (also took 1-17 in 2 overs)......looks like he's over his jetlag then.

Was always going to take a couple of games to get the rust off.

If the CPS don't go ahead then he should be back in for the ODI series and definitely NZ.

1000yardstare 15th January 2018 15:03

@SkyCricket

Ben Stokes has been charged with affray following incident in September and will appear before Bristol Magistratesí Court at a later date

square leg umpire 15th January 2018 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000yardstare (Post 776950)

@SkyCricket

Ben Stokes has been charged with affray following incident in September and will appear before Bristol Magistratesí Court at a later date

Lucky to get away with affray. People thought it would be ABH.

Sir Coolerking 15th January 2018 15:13

Probably best to plead guilty, take a fine and some community service and move on.

Jock McTuffnel v3 15th January 2018 15:17

So what does this all mean then ? Is this good or bad news for Mr Stokes ?

Sir Coolerking 15th January 2018 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 (Post 776956)
So what does this all mean then ? Is this good or bad news for Mr Stokes ?

CPS obviously decided they couldn't make GBH or ABH stick. Had they charged him with that I fancy his defence would have got him off (but taken ages to do so).

But having looked further into 'affray' I can see grounds for him getting off this too. "(1) A person is guilty of affray if he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another and his conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety."

Other than the fella he hit, was anyone else likely to fear for their safety?

The problem is, the longer the Court case drags on, the longer it takes for him to return to Cricket.