Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   Other International Teams (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The New Zealand Thread (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=9136)

Geiiir 23rd December 2009 05:01

The New Zealand Thread

Too bad he didn't have a proper test career, he was a gun bowler and I wish he played against the Aussies in the Test series in March.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...1223-lcug.html

NZ quick Bond retires from Test cricket

NZPA

New Zealand fast bowler Shane Bond has announced his retirement from Test cricket.

The injury-prone 34-year-old missed two Tests against Pakistan this month after tearing an abdominal muscle and was told it would take longer to heal than first thought.

Bond said he would remain available for one-day cricket, but putting an end to the longer version of the game was a difficult decision.

"The hardest thing is that I've always considered myself a Test bowler, and it was such a great feeling to be back in the team last month and playing Test match cricket with the Black Caps," he said.

Bond took eight wickets in his 18th and final Test against Pakistan in Dunedin, lifting his career haul to 87 at a world class average of 22.09.

His Test career was dogged by injuries, and his appearance in the Dunedin Test was his first at that level in two years after he joined the unsanctioned Twenty 20 Indian Cricket League.

Bond said he had worked hard to return to full fitness. "But looking back, so many of my injuries have come during Test cricket. Unfortunately my body just won't let me continue to play at that level, given the workload and demands of Test cricket."

Remaining open to selection for only the one-day side meant the chances of him being able to continue his international career were higher.

"I don't want to end on an injury and I am absolutely committed to playing for the Black Caps."

Bond said the focus was now on being fit for New Zealand's limited overs matches against Australia, starting with two Twenty20 internationals in late February.

Meanwhile, his abdominal injury recovery was going well and he aimed to be playing club cricket by late January, and provincial cricket the following month.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said he was disappointed, but understood Bond's decision.

"Shane really showed his never-say-die attitude in his comeback this season, especially in the test match against Pakistan - and I know how tough this decision has been for him," Vaughan said.

He said Bond remained one of the best fast bowlers in the international game.

Zebroston Chase 23rd December 2009 09:08

Boooooooo.

Shame is this.

Geiiir 23rd December 2009 10:12

He was not just raw speed, had quite a lot of brains as well. He finished with an average under 23. 18 tests isn't enough for a guy of his talents.

sweatysock 23rd December 2009 10:54

real shame this, although probably no surprise

Chin Music 23rd December 2009 11:05

One of my favourite bowlers over the last 10 years, would have added so much to test cricket had he been free of injury. However this isn't really big news as it was rumoured a few weeks ago after he broke down in the first test.

Geiiir 23rd December 2009 11:14

It's not a surprise at all considering his body breaking down so often. I wonder what training and rehab programs that NZ had for him.

Maybe I am selfish I just wanted him to drop one on Watson's chin.

Minor Maggie 23rd December 2009 12:36

A real shame. He was such a good bowler. Hard to believe he only played 18 tests. A lot worse bowlers have played more tests than that! I guess the Kiwi's will have to hope that Southee kicks on as O'Brien has retired from tests.

1000yardstare 23rd December 2009 13:14

Simon Jones also 18 Tests.

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 23rd December 2009 16:46

Can't say I'm surprised, but would love for him to come out of retirement when the Kiwis face the Convicts. Have the series on entirely flat pitches and then one spicy one where you unleash him. The Convicts never fancied facing him when they were good, he'd surely have enjoyed their current line-up.

GloriousGloucesters 23rd December 2009 18:16

Love watching him bowl, I hope this decision does prolong his career like he intends.

Remember being so excited when he signed to play for Gloucestershire a few seasons back - he would never have lasted a full season in county cricket though!

V4never 23rd December 2009 18:36

Great bowler, great cricketing brain, great guy.

Just a shame about his back - hope the one day stuff works out for him.

Greatbatch 23rd December 2009 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin Music (Post 373341)
One of my favourite bowlers over the last 10 years, would have added so much to test cricket had he been free of injury. However this isn't really big news as it was rumoured a few weeks ago after he broke down in the first test.

Was actually rumoured before he defected to the ICL, he was planning on giving up test cricket then due to his injury problems.

That's why I was quite surprised to see him back playing test cricket when he returned. When he injured himself again a few weeks ago I knew that would be it for him in test cricket.

Hopefully this will at least prolong his career in ODIs and T20s for NZ. Would have loved to have seen him playing in the test series against the Aussies though.

Geiiir 23rd December 2009 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother (Post 373403)
Can't say I'm surprised, but would love for him to come out of retirement when the Kiwis face the Convicts. Have the series on entirely flat pitches and then one spicy one where you unleash him. The Convicts never fancied facing him when they were good, he'd surely have enjoyed their current line-up.

Well said, big Rigor Richardson made some good comments about him. It's true NZ without him lack penetration.

http://www.cricinfo.com/talk/content...ia/440794.html

square leg umpire 24th December 2009 23:51

I read O'Brian has retired too. I didn't think he had been around that long.

Geiiir 25th December 2009 02:48

Yes, Ian O'Brien has retired as well.

Ash 25th December 2009 06:57

:cry:

Greatbatch 26th December 2009 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by square leg umpire (Post 373554)
I read O'Brian has retired too. I didn't think he had been around that long.

He's not so much retiring as heading to the UK to get married. I think he still plans on playing County cricket for Middlesex or something but can't play for NZ anymore, due to him being a pathetic pussy whipped twat*.

*Yeah that's right, I said it.

DanielVettoriSpin 26th December 2009 22:01

O'Brien is already married, but his missus lives in England whilst he goes round the world playing cricket. I think she needs a good dose of harden the **** up, personally.

Greatbatch 27th December 2009 09:58

Really is a surprising decision from O'Brien. He has only just established himself as a regular in the NZ team and has developed into a very handy bowler. Would have thought he could have delayed his decision to move to England until his international career had finished. Although having said that, he's no spring chicken at 33 yrs of age so I guess he would have only had another year or two left at the top level anyway.

With both Bond and O'Brien retiring from test cricket and Martin probably not far away from retirement either, it leaves the NZ bowling stocks pretty threadbare.

DanielVettoriSpin 27th December 2009 10:02

O'Brien had matured into a very effective international bowler. Not ground breaking, but an excellent player to have in your bowling attack.

Martin is looking pretty ineffective at the moment as well. Tuffey won't be far off all full retirement either.