Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mbargogate (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=23447)

Summer of '77 17th January 2018 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000yardstare (Post 777185)
Just saw that headline. So why did he not play in the Ashes then?

I would have thought the ECB is under no obligation whatsoever to select him, just so long as they're paying him as per the terms of his central contract.

stevieh 17th January 2018 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 777187)
I would have thought the ECB is under no obligation whatsoever to select him, just so long as they're paying him as per the terms of his central contract.

No obligation to select him, certainly, but that isnít really the point, since he clearly merits selection based upon his cricketing talent.

In fact, why would Ben Stokes not join the ODI portion of the Australia tour at this juncture? Goodness knows, there is more than sufficient time in between the matches.

Summer of '77 17th January 2018 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieh (Post 777188)
No obligation to select him, certainly, but that isnít really the point, since he clearly merits selection based upon his cricketing talent.

In fact, why would Ben Stokes not join the ODI portion of the Australia tour at this juncture? Goodness knows, there is more than sufficient time in between the matches.

I was asking in the legal sense. Stokes is under central contract to the ECB. The purpose of central contracts is to give the governing body control over a player's availability for the duration. So, how could his right to pursue his trade be being restrained? Of course, I know not the constitution of an ECB central contract but it'd be astonishing if they left the board open to legal challenges over team selections.

Psyduck 17th January 2018 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieh (Post 777188)

Why indeed. I would have thought it would make sense for Stokes to travel at the earliest opportunity and be available for selection for the 4th and 5th ODIs.

D/L 17th January 2018 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 777190)
...Stokes is under central contract to the ECB. The purpose of central contracts is to give the governing body control over a player's availability for the duration. So, how could his right to pursue his trade be being restrained? ...

It wasn't. The restraint of trade argument is a rather specious one.

The ECB's capacity for inconsistency and imaginative justifications for their actions never fail to astonish.

Rebelstar 18th January 2018 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by D/L (Post 777195)
It wasn't. The restraint of trade argument is a rather specious one.

The ECB's capacity for inconsistency and imaginative justifications for their actions never fail to astonish.

Seems the bizarrest situation ever, to not select him until further notice pending any charges for violence and then when he's charged with affray it's ok to pick him....

Glad the ECB are taking a high moral stance and picking their very best role model for behaviour off the pitch again, sends out a lot of very wrong messages to the young and some of those who were picked on for minor nothings as laddish behaviour goes.

Does sum up society in general nicely though, not so much what you do as much as who you are.

Sir Coolerking 18th January 2018 11:51

The farce continues - Court Date set for Feb 13th, same day as T20 v NZ!!

Does he need to be present for the opening date?

D/L 18th January 2018 11:56

Video link to New Zealand late at night or early in the morning, that is if he's not out on the town somewhere.

Sir Coolerking 18th January 2018 11:57

Sounds like he does need to be present - I'm starting to wonder if the ECB knew about the Court date in advance of saying he could play in NZ!!

Psyduck 18th January 2018 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 777264)
The farce continues - Court Date set for Feb 13th, same day as T20 v NZ!!

Does he need to be present for the opening date?

Hahaha! This is hilarious.

He does need to be there is person apparently. Is this the start of the trial or just a confirmation of names and addresses?

Jock McTuffnel v3 18th January 2018 13:02

He should never have been out of the side - innocent until proven guilty used to be the basis of the law.

D/L 18th January 2018 14:33

It still is.

However, there were other important considerations surrounding Stokes' selection and, until recently, the ECB seemed to be taking account of them.

Ali TT 18th January 2018 18:35

If posters won't heed the mods' warnings, should we suspend the thread?

Jock McTuffnel v3 18th January 2018 19:57

********. The court of public opinion is not the law. Until he has been found guilty in a legal court he is innocent.

Chin Music 18th January 2018 20:06

Yes it has gone too far now Ali. I have had to cut one post and I suggest that it is desisted from elsewhere.