Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   England (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Replacing Compton (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=20438)

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 7th January 2016 22:55

Replacing Compton

It's obvious that he isn't good enough and is just a stopgap but who is the long term solution at 3?

Sir Virgs and Zamora 7th January 2016 23:05

Ian bell will score stacks for Warwickshire and spend the second half of the summer scoring tons for England.

Psyduck 7th January 2016 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 698650)
Ian bell will score stacks for Warwickshire and spend the second half of the summer scoring tons for England.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bell Boy get a recall but only at 5 or 6. He simply isn't good enough to bat in the top 4.

sharky 7th January 2016 23:32

James Vince probably.

Psyduck 7th January 2016 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 698652)
James Vince probably.

I was thinking of Vince. However, I have a feeling he batted at 4 for Hampshire last season.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 7th January 2016 23:41

I think Vince would be better at 4 or 5.

Although an opener and staying opener despite Chris Rogers arriving maybe young Tom abell. But that assumes the top slot is taken. Maybe hales will end up at 3.

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 7th January 2016 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 698656)
I think Vince would be better at 4 or 5.

Although an opener and staying opener despite Chris Rogers arriving maybe young Tom abell. But that assumes the top slot is taken. Maybe hales will end up at 3.

How attacking is Abell?

stevieh 7th January 2016 23:53

Compton could hang around for a couple of years yet, depending on how he does as the SA tour moves to the highveld.

1000yardstare 8th January 2016 02:38

Why would we remove Compton? He is needed to build a foundation no matter how long it takes. We see from Cook that he is trying to score faster than normal and he is getting nowhere. In fact all the top three are. They need to ignore Bayliss and his comments about 2 of the top 3 attacking the bowling. Cook's career s/r 46.77 - first innings 55.10.

stevieh 8th January 2016 05:03

I would agree. Give the lad time to figure out where he can accumulate safely to maintain a respectable s/r. So far, we are 1-0 in the series with Compton playing an important role, given the openers have struggled. If he can provide some solidity against the seaming ball in J'burg, he will have proven his worth and done his job.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 8th January 2016 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother (Post 698658)
How attacking is Abell?

He has scored his first class runs at about 50 but it is worth noting that as he found his feet last year he actually out scored tres on a few occasions. Tres does not talk people up often. The last player I remember getting him this excited about was Ben stokes and he said he had to play for England in all formats because he will make things happen. That one turned out okay.

Rebelstar 8th January 2016 08:52

I'm no fan of Compton, I thought he shouldn't have been recalled at his age and in view of his outspoken criticisms of how he was dropped.

But I can't go along with replacing him just because he probably/possibly won't be a long term proper solution.

He's not set the world alight, but has contributed in each innings so far so until he hits a trot of poor scores, or his (score) range remains limited, he may as well stay in the side and England focus on the opening position.

Hales made 10 and 26 when the scores were relatively low so you could say a below par effort, he made 60 when the sides were scoring 600+ apiece, but only 5 when there was any kind of pressure on.

You could easily argue a case Compton may as well be put back in as opener as he's shown the kind of dogged approach we might want from an opener, and either try Hales at #3, shuffle the order and try say Root, Taylor, Hales, or perhaps just give it up as a bad idea to start with and consider Compton as opener or finding a new one.

But as the series is 2 Tests old, as are their careers/recalls, and you can't really argue either has failed, then perhaps all conjecture is a bit premature.

Chin Music 8th January 2016 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelstar (Post 698674)
I'm no fan of Compton, I thought he shouldn't have been recalled at his age and in view of his outspoken criticisms of how he was dropped.

But I can't go along with replacing him just because he probably/possibly won't be a long term proper solution.

He's not set the world alight, but has contributed in each innings so far so until he hits a trot of poor scores, or his (score) range remains limited, he may as well stay in the side and England focus on the opening position.

Hales made 10 and 26 when the scores were relatively low so you could say a below par effort, he made 60 when the sides were scoring 600+ apiece, but only 5 when there was any kind of pressure on.

You could easily argue a case Compton may as well be put back in as opener as he's shown the kind of dogged approach we might want from an opener, and either try Hales at #3, shuffle the order and try say Root, Taylor, Hales, or perhaps just give it up as a bad idea to start with and consider Compton as opener or finding a new one.

But as the series is 2 Tests old, as are their careers/recalls, and you can't really argue either has failed, then perhaps all conjecture is a bit premature.

Neither of those two factors should have any bearing on whether or not he should have been recalled or not. He's 32 FFS and there are far more legitimate criticisms of the then England management that could have been made than there were of him for that situation. That said I won't pretend I'm his biggest fan as you could have driven a bus through his defence in the home New Zealand series. However it appears he genuinely was injured at that time and he had some genuine gripes IMO with the captain apparently not being a fan of his personality as well.

Ali TT 8th January 2016 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 698671)
He has scored his first class runs at about 50 but it is worth noting that as he found his feet last year he actually out scored tres on a few occasions. Tres does not talk people up often. The last player I remember getting him this excited about was Ben stokes and he said he had to play for England in all formats because he will make things happen. That one turned out okay.

Only in one format so far though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin Music (Post 698675)
Neither of those two factors should have any bearing on whether or not he should have been recalled or not. He's 32 FFS and there are far more legitimate criticisms of the then England management that could have been made than there were of him for that situation. That said I won't pretend I'm his biggest fan as you could have driven a bus through his defence in the home New Zealand series. However it appears he genuinely was injured at that time and he had some genuine gripes IMO with the captain apparently not being a fan of his personality as well.

Cook doesn't like Compton? Then clearly Cook doesn't know what's good for him, as Michelle would testify to.

Chin Music 8th January 2016 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 698676)
Cook doesn't like Compton? Then clearly Cook doesn't know what's good for him, as Michelle would testify to.

Lol I did think about that when I wrote it. It was a story that George Dobell has mentioned at various times. I also mentioned it because it would conflict Virgs too.

D/L 8th January 2016 11:19

I wouldn't replace Compton yet. He's shown some mettle in this series. I'd give serious consideration to him opening with Cook, though.

Comte Nom de Plume 8th January 2016 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin Music (Post 698677)
Lol I did think about that when I wrote it. It was a story that George Dobell has mentioned at various times. I also mentioned it because it would conflict Virgs too.

George Dobell - astute, well-informed writer or mischief maker?

sanskritsimon 8th January 2016 11:47

This is a mischievous thread. Compton has already been wrongly dropped once partly because everyone and their dog were induced to imagine that so-and-so simply had to occupy the place that Compton happened to be occupying. It would be a shame if that were to happen again. In response to the opening post I would say that all selections are stopgap selections, and that there are no long-term solutions anywhere in the order. Every player retires, most of them prematurely, and often through injury. We pick for the next match; or, in squads, we pick for the series. Unless someone's going to argue for the introduction of Buttler or Ballance at Johannesburg, there's nothing discuss that isn't better discussed later down the line, if at all.

Chin Music 8th January 2016 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comte Nom de Plume (Post 698686)
George Dobell - astute, well-informed writer or mischief maker?

http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/new.../?ref=mr&lp=16

I guess this applies to the Thurrock Gazette too. To be honest I've seen it mentioned a fair bit more widely than this although it was suggested that Cook was happy to give it a second go given how badly many alternatives had gone in recent times.

Michelle Fivefer 8th January 2016 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000yardstare (Post 698668)
Why would we remove Compton? He is needed to build a foundation no matter how long it takes. We see from Cook that he is trying to score faster than normal and he is getting nowhere. In fact all the top three are. They need to ignore Bayliss and his comments about 2 of the top 3 attacking the bowling. Cook's career s/r 46.77 - first innings 55.10.

:good:

And why would we want to remove a man who in the last two tests has scored more runs at a better average than everyone except Stokes and Bairstow? Apart from the last innings he's provided the ballast to help set the platform allowing the attacking lower middle order to do their stuff.

There's been some enthusiasm for one-day-style batting making test cricket more exciting, but the frequent batting collapses as a result have hopefully restored a bit of sanity. Pundits have actually been welcoming the return of proper test match batting. You need quick scorers and batsmen able to bat time. Bayliss needs to stop trying to turn test cricket into glorified 50 over cricket with 4 innings.