Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mbargogate (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=23447)

mustardcharlie 29th September 2017 22:25

Mbargogate

Such a big issue this, I felt it deserved its own thread. England''s vice captain in a brawl outside a night club. Police investigations ongoing. No word from the ECB. I invite people to put their thoughts here. I know what mine are.

I know my own failings. To sadly misquote the words of Thomas Hughes "Never fight unless you are forced to. Once you make that decision to fight, do not give up while you can stand and see ".

Obviously I am no well known sportsman, but I shall be out on the razz in Sunderland next weekend. Loyal family, younger cousins, will ensure that I get home safely. Are we so insolent to believe that Bristol is safer than Sidney?

Summer of '77 29th September 2017 22:42

Bored by it all now. And not a little irritated too - it's been an unwelcome distraction away from the more important cricketing issues of the past week.

AJ101 29th September 2017 22:45

Where's Sidney? I'm guessing somewhere in Sunderland?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 770785)
Bored by it all now. And not a little irritated too - it's been an unwelcome distraction away from the more important cricketing issues of the past week.

Other than the naming of the Ashes squad has there actually been any important cricketing issues this week? 4 day tests (will fade out as quickly as it's arrived) and Middlesex being relegated due to a crossbow dashing their over rate?

Summer of '77 29th September 2017 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ101 (Post 770786)

Other than the naming of the Ashes squad has there actually been any important cricketing issues this week? 4 day tests (will fade out as quickly as it's arrived) and Middlesex being relegated due to a crossbow dashing their over rate?

Yes, the conclusion of the County Championship, the most important issue in English cricket

Michelle Fivefer 29th September 2017 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ101 (Post 770786)

It's an important issue for Middlesex and I have a lot of sympathy.

mustardcharlie 29th September 2017 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 770785)

Such as? The fact that one of England's best cricketers may not play on an Ashes tour bores you? What are these more interesting cricket issues that interest you then? Middlesex relegation is looked upon with joy by many.

mustardcharlie 29th September 2017 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer (Post 770790)
It's an important issue for Middlesex and I have a lot of sympathy.

Sympathy for Middlesex? Why?

Summer of '77 29th September 2017 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustardcharlie (Post 770794)
Such as? The fact that one of England's best cricketers may not play on an Ashes tour bores you? What are these more interesting cricket issues that interest you then? Middlesex relegation is looked upon with joy by many.

See my answer above.

mustardcharlie 29th September 2017 23:53

Sidney is a poofter defended by our noble Lord Stokes. I meant Sydney of course.

mustardcharlie 29th September 2017 23:54

Personally, I would like to see Essex, Surrey, Middlesex and Hampshire all relegated and England to only pick players from north of the Trent and the West country. Then we might start to win things. The point of the thread was to discuss Ben Stokes and that situation.

mustardcharlie 30th September 2017 00:30

I was a single dad for 10 years. I have been called a paedo, a homo, and various other names which would only get blanked out on here. I am not Ben Stokes' size, a mere 6'2" and 15 st, I have reacted in similar fashion when I have seen women being assaulted in the street and been arrested for it. If that bores you Summer 77, why bother to comment?

This thread is about Ben Stokes, not the MCC. Other than the obvious ie not going out half way through a series on the razz at 2.30 am, being a well known sporting personality, have you got any reason to object to his actions?

From what I have heard, I would have done exactly the same.

mustardcharlie 30th September 2017 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 770797)
See my answer above.

Put it on the County Championship thread. I can't see its relevance here. How on earth does this concern Ben Stokes?

Michelle Fivefer 30th September 2017 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustardcharlie (Post 770795)
Sympathy for Middlesex? Why?

You don't have to hate all the counties that aren't the one(s) you support. I think the point deduction was harsh in the circumstances.

mustardcharlie 30th September 2017 01:12

Irrelevant to Mbargogate though.

mustardcharlie 30th September 2017 01:52

How can anybody get from Ben Stokes decking a guy outside a Bristol night club to Middlesex getting relegated is beyond me. I opened this thread to discuss Ben Stokes and take it away from the Ashes or any other such. Trivialities like Middlesex, Lancashire, Yorkshire and the like are inappropriate here.

This thread is about Ben Stokes defending a couple of gay guys outside a Bristol night club at 2.30 am in the morning. He was subsequently attacked with a bottle and went rather over the top. Several other England players were out on the razz at the time. Sam Billings was one. Alex Hales.

I cannot say that I would have reacted any differently to BS as a 25 yo if threatened by a young thug with a bottle. Agree he should not be out at that time half way through a series. His actions I can sympathize with.

sharky 30th September 2017 07:24

I do find the Middlesex thing sums up the wonderful ridiculousness of cricket. Who could have imagined a team could get relegated as a result of a crossbow? It's utterly ludicrous.

Ali TT 30th September 2017 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 770812)
I do find the Middlesex thing sums up the wonderful ridiculousness of cricket. Who could have imagined a team could get relegated as a result of a crossbow? It's utterly ludicrous.

I'm confused, why are talking about county cricket here? I assumed from the thread title it was about the constant leaks of England test squads before the official announcement, but that the OP had missed the e off embargo.

I do hope Middlesex get those points back, especially as the pitch doctors above them really don't deserve to stay in CC1.

Corbo 61 30th September 2017 08:47

The over used something gate annoys me more than the story..that was a specific Yankie presidential event some decades ago.. how it relates to all and sundry is beyond me..a similar story to do with political shenanigans is understandably but lazily referred to something gate but a punch up outside a nightclub..NO NO.

Summer of '77 30th September 2017 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustardcharlie (Post 770802)
I was a single dad for 10 years. I have been called a paedo, a homo, and various other names which would only get blanked out on here. I am not Ben Stokes' size, a mere 6'2" and 15 st, I have reacted in similar fashion when I have seen women being assaulted in the street and been arrested for it. If that bores you Summer 77, why bother to comment?

This thread is about Ben Stokes, not the MCC. Other than the obvious ie not going out half way through a series on the razz at 2.30 am, being a well known sporting personality, have you got any reason to object to his actions?

From what I have heard, I would have done exactly the same.

You sought to 'invite people to put their thoughts here' and I did. I'm a county cricketer supporter. The County Championship has, despite increasingly difficult circumstances, delivered a season - and a final week - of copious drama and many stories. These should have been the headlines this week as we look to grow and promote our game. Instead, all has been overshadowed by something as tedious as a punch up outside a disco. Apologies if I find that extremely frustrating.

Summer of '77 30th September 2017 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustardcharlie (Post 770803)
Put it on the County Championship thread. I can't see its relevance here. How on earth does this concern Ben Stokes?

What better place to vent my feelings about the effect of the Stokes incident than a thread which has been specifically set up to discuss the Stokes incident ?