Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   England in Sri Lanka (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=28700)

1000yardstare 30th January 2020 13:19

England in Sri Lanka
 
England itinerary
March 7-9 - Tour match v SLC Board President's XI, Katunayake, CMCG
March 12-15 - Tour match v SLC Board President's XI, Colombo, P Sara Oval
March 19-23 - 1st Test v Sri Lanka - Galle, Galle International Stadium
March 27-31 - 2nd Test v Sri Lanka - Colombo, R. Premadasa Stadium

I thought the 2nd Test would be at the P Sara Oval but it's at R Premadasa where England haven't played before. A ground where the world record was set 952/6d in 1997. 9 Tests have been played here.

More recently Roach did get a 5fer in 2010 https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-lanka-2010-11

The 3 international grounds in Colombo
http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/sto...is-not-a-crowd

Squad named next week.

tigertiger 6th February 2020 12:37

Archer out injured.

Aidan11 6th February 2020 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigertiger (Post 861307)
Archer out injured.

A real shame this.

I hope Archer doesn't become injury prone. Hopefully once his elbow is right again he will be back to the bowler he was promising to become.

Steveh 6th February 2020 17:09

Yes that is a real shame, yet missing the SL tour may be for the better, considering usual wicket preparation and typical conditions.

sharky 6th February 2020 20:31

Is Root still wondering why Jofra wasn't bowling above 90mph in his zillionth over? Utterly farcical. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

MRNC4.0 6th February 2020 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 861339)
Is Root still wondering why Jofra wasn't bowling above 90mph in his zillionth over? Utterly farcical. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

He bowled more overs (400+) across all formats than any other English bowler last year. Not how you're supposed to utilise an impact bowler. I think that NZ series stuffed him.

sanskritsimon 6th February 2020 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 861339)
Is Root still wondering why Jofra wasn't bowling above 90mph in his zillionth over? Utterly farcical. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 (Post 861341)
He bowled more overs (400+) across all formats than any other English bowler last year. Not how you're supposed to utilise an impact bowler. I think that NZ series stuffed him.

I don't think Archer is just an impact bowler. He can obviously do that, but also he has shown signs of being just a really good bowler, and to that extent I think Root has been right to let him bowl, and I don't think his average speed matters too much. It's a real shame he got injured.

Sir Coolerking 7th February 2020 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 (Post 861341)
He bowled more overs (400+) across all formats than any other English bowler last year. Not how you're supposed to utilise an impact bowler. I think that NZ series stuffed him.

It's worth remembering that arguably his most aggressive spell last year at Lord's against Smith was when he'd already bowled about 20 overs in the innings. Since the start of 2019, he's only bowled 10 overs more than Broad too.

Just a bowler's injury, could happen to anyone. Missing Sri Lanka and the IPL is hardly the worst thing that could happen from an England perspective.

gmdf 7th February 2020 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 861359)
It's worth remembering that arguably his most aggressive spell last year at Lord's against Smith was when he'd already bowled about 20 overs in the innings. Since the start of 2019, he's only bowled 10 overs more than Broad too.

Just a bowler's injury, could happen to anyone. Missing Sri Lanka and the IPL is hardly the worst thing that could happen from an England perspective.

This Tweet does show his workload though:




Sam Morshead@SamMorshead

Most overs by England bowlers (all formats) in 2019

Jofra Archer - 400.5
Stuart Broad - 367.4
Ben Stokes - 336.2
Chris Woakes - 299.4
Moeen Ali - 231.2
Sam Curran - 201.5
Adil Rashid - 201.5
10:18 AM · Feb 6, 2020·TweetDeck

Sir Coolerking 7th February 2020 10:24

A good comparison would be someone like Starc or Cummins. Anybody know how many they have bowled in the same period?

Sir Coolerking 7th February 2020 10:34

I just did a quick check on Cummins. Since the 1st Jan 2019 he bowled 464 overs in Tests alone. Add in 19 ODI's and we can probably say an extra 150 overs or so. Not to mention any domestic matches, warm up games, T20's etc etc.

That suggests that Archer's workload hasn't been overly excessive.

Chin Music 7th February 2020 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 861362)
I just did a quick check on Cummins. Since the 1st Jan 2019 he bowled 464 overs in Tests alone. Add in 19 ODI's and we can probably say an extra 150 overs or so. Not to mention any domestic matches, warm up games, T20's etc etc.

That suggests that Archer's workload hasn't been overly excessive.

That's forgetting that Archer didn't get to represent England until circa late April/May whereas Cummins would have had the back end of the Australian summer (very early 2019) to bowl a reasonable chunk of those overs.

Archer had a very condensed 8/9 months rather than the 12 months.

Sir Coolerking 7th February 2020 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin Music (Post 861363)
That's forgetting that Archer didn't get to represent England until circa late April/May whereas Cummins would have had the back end of the Australian summer (very early 2019) to bowl a reasonable chunk of those overs.

Archer had a very condensed 8/9 months rather than the 12 months.

Possibly, but Cummins bowled 211 overs alone in the Ashes (remember he's basically part of a 3 man seam attack as opposed to 4). Archer bowled 156 in the Ashes. They probably bowled a similar number in the World Cup.

Chin Music 7th February 2020 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 861364)
Possibly, but Cummins bowled 211 overs alone in the Ashes (remember he's basically part of a 3 man seam attack as opposed to 4). Archer bowled 156 in the Ashes. They probably bowled a similar number in the World Cup.

Archer missed the first test of that series too, so that slightly explains the discrepancy but it should also be remembered that Archer really hadn't played that much first class cricket coming into the test side. I would also suggest that this lack of experience in bowling a lot of overs prior to this might have been a factor as well. Archer being used in the way that he was, ahead of the more likely longer spell seamers seemed ridiculous at the time and was rightly called out.

Cummins first few years in senior cricket were blighted by injury. Australia has done well to ease him back in. It should be noted that Cummins hasn't played any ODIs since the world cup either.

Redmachine 9th February 2020 21:31

Interesting hearing Key and Bumble’s views on Rashid. Now he’s bowling quicker they think he’s a must for SL. I must admit, he was very impressive today. He wasn’t bad last time we went to SL.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 9th February 2020 22:38

Didn’t adil say he would only play once he earned it through county performance.

ReyaJp 9th February 2020 23:36

I think they could end up convincing both Moeen and Rashid to play Tests in SL.

It would be far easier convincing them both as a pair than individually.

If Leach doesn't make the tour then these 2 must go.

1000yardstare 10th February 2020 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReyaJp (Post 861481)
I think they could end up convincing both Moeen and Rashid to play Tests in SL.

It would be far easier convincing them both as a pair than individually.

If Leach doesn't make the tour then these 2 must go.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...Sri-Lanka.html

tigertiger 10th February 2020 17:54

When is squad announced? Thought sometime today but have not spotted yet.

gmdf 10th February 2020 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigertiger (Post 861516)
When is squad announced? Thought sometime today but have not spotted yet.

I read it has been delayed until Tuesday somewhere.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org