Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   England in India Feb 2021 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=31424)

Sir Coolerking 10th December 2020 14:09

England in India Feb 2021

So it looks like the squad will travel straight on from Sri Lanka to India.

4 Tests starting on Feb 5th. First 2 in Chennai, second 2 in Ahmedabad (the first of which will be a day nighter).

To be followed by 5 T20's and 3 ODI's.

Proper, full on Tour!!

MRNC4.0 10th December 2020 22:52

I wonder if some players will begin to opt out having existed in 'hub' life for almost a year straight by that point. I wouldn't blame them either.

Sir Coolerking 11th December 2020 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 (Post 880098)
I wonder if some players will begin to opt out having existed in 'hub' life for almost a year straight by that point. I wouldn't blame them either.

They depart for Sri Lanka on Jan 2nd and the final ODI is on March 28th. Given the fact the T20's come before the ODI's, I'd be amazed if someone like Root played any limited overs cricket.

It can't be long after that for the next IPL either.

Sir Coolerking 19th January 2021 14:30

India have announced their 18 man squad for the first 2 Tests.

Kohli returns as captain, but the notable omissions are Shami and Jadeja who are still injured.

Edit: Also still out is Yadav, so 2 of 3 first choice seamers.

sharky 19th January 2021 16:06

Are these the first matches at the new mahoosive ground in Ahmedabad? It'll be interesting to see what kind of pitch they produce there.

Sir Coolerking 19th January 2021 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 882829)
Are these the first matches at the new mahoosive ground in Ahmedabad? It'll be interesting to see what kind of pitch they produce there.

First 2 are in Chennai, the last 2 in Ahmedabad (the first of which is a day nighter).

sanskritsimon 19th January 2021 18:46

I have mixed memories of the bus station in Ahmedabad ... It's probably a bit swisher these days.

Jock McTuffnel v3 20th January 2021 08:50

Anything less than a 4-0 win would be a humiliation for India.

ConfusedMale 20th January 2021 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 (Post 882871)
Anything less than a 4-0 win would be a humiliation for India.

In this millennium, England has generally put up a good fight while touring India, so it would be a miracle if we can win 4-0.

Sir Coolerking 20th January 2021 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConfusedMale (Post 882883)
In this millennium, England has generally put up a good fight while touring India, so it would be a miracle if we can win 4-0.

I think another factor is how India react to having won the series in Australia in such extraordinary circumstances. From such a high, it's often difficult to replicate straight after. I think having Kohli to come back will help, but there will be question marks over his captaincy too.

India obviously start as huge favourites, but I don't see an improving England side and with the freshness of Stokes and Archer to add going down lightly. Maybe a 3-1 home win.

ConfusedMale 20th January 2021 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 882885)
I think another factor is how India react to having won the series in Australia in such extraordinary circumstances. From such a high, it's often difficult to replicate straight after. I think having Kohli to come back will help, but there will be question marks over his captaincy too.

India obviously start as huge favourites, but I don't see an improving England side and with the freshness of Stokes and Archer to add going down lightly. Maybe a 3-1 home win.

Very true. Also, the pitches in India are no longer the rank turners they used to be. Getting in will be difficult, but once you do that, getting out will be just as difficult. If the batsmen are willing to apply themselves and bat long, it would be quite an even series. With two test matches happening in the same grounds, I wonder how the pitches would hold up, even if they use adjacent strips.

Jock McTuffnel v3 21st January 2021 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConfusedMale (Post 882883)

I can't make much of a case for England.

2 of Englands best players haven't played for months
2 opening bowlers have a combined age of 72
Englands opening batsmen can't score a run
Our keeper couldn't catch Covid in a Scottish care home
Our spinners serve up pies.
Our captain doesn't even play in the IPL.
Moeen Ali may get picked.

Only ray of light is that India played better without Kohli as captain - and he's back.

Sir Coolerking 21st January 2021 13:58

Test Squad has been announced by England with Wood, Curran and Bairstow all returning home from Sri Lanka (probably explains why they're all playing in the 2nd Test). No Pope either (although he will travel and be added when fit), so Lawrence likely to bat 6 I'd have thought.

Root, Archer, Ali, Anderson, Bess, Broad, Burns, Buttler, Crawley, Foakes, Lawrence, Leach, Sibley, Stokes, Stone, Woakes.

It is also being suggested that Foakes will play the last 2 Tests with Buttler being rested before the limited overs matches.

Jock McTuffnel v3 21st January 2021 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 882993)
Test Squad has been announced by England with Wood, Curran and Bairstow all returning home from Sri Lanka (probably explains why they're all playing in the 2nd Test). No Pope either (although he will travel and be added when fit), so Lawrence likely to bat 6 I'd have thought.

Root, Archer, Ali, Anderson, Bess, Broad, Burns, Buttler, Crawley, Foakes, Lawrence, Leach, Sibley, Stokes, Stone, Woakes.

Harsh on WJB - what if he scores runs in this test too ?

Sir Coolerking 21st January 2021 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 (Post 882996)
Harsh on WJB - what if he scores runs in this test too ?

Then we know he can score runs against spinners. Until he can prove that he won't get repeatedly bowled by seamers, then he doesn't make a squad.

Jock McTuffnel v3 21st January 2021 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 882998)
Then we know he can score runs against spinners. Until he can prove that he won't get repeatedly bowled by seamers, then he doesn't make a squad.

Update - WJB back for 3,4 test.

Buttler will leave after 1st test.

Sir Coolerking 21st January 2021 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 (Post 883001)
Update - WJB back for 3,4 test.

Yeah, this is getting more and more confusing. Wood and Curran return for the 3rd Test too.

It seems they're allowing rest periods for those who play all formats. I guess Stokes and Archer have already had theirs, whilst Root won't play the T20's.

sanskritsimon 21st January 2021 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 (Post 883001)

Seems a bit pointless having him in the squad at all.

Still, it is important to make it clear to Foakes, again, that regardless of how good he may be at batting or keeping wicket, he is not as absolutely good as Buttler is.

Also, if Buttler leaves when Bairstow is there, Root will give Bairstow the gloves as a way of getting him back into the team.

Sir Coolerking 21st January 2021 14:24

If Buttler leaves after 1 Test and Bairstow doesn't return until the 3rd, who is the backup keeper? Burns? The injured Pope?

sharky 21st January 2021 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 883004)
If Buttler leaves after 1 Test and Bairstow doesn't return until the 3rd, who is the backup keeper? Burns? The injured Pope?

Bracey seems to have been hanging round the squad as a reserve.