Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Zealand v Pakistan (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=31506)

Greatbatch 26th December 2020 04:38

New Zealand v Pakistan

No thread yet for this much awaited blockbuster test series so I thought I would start one.

Williamson once again rescuing NZ from a poor start with the help of Taylor.

With Kohli quitting the Aus v India test series and Smith struggling for runs I think it's safe to say that Williamson is the best batsman in the world right now.

MRNC4.0 26th December 2020 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatbatch (Post 880949)
No thread yet for this much awaited blockbuster test series so I thought I would start one.

Williamson once again rescuing NZ from a poor start with the help of Taylor.

With Kohli quitting the Aus v India test series and Smith struggling for runs I think it's safe to say that Williamson is the best batsman in the world right now.

Think Kane may be rated no.1 test bat in the world after this. Shame Kiwi's don't play more cricket, he would have racked up 40 tons otherwise.

Greatbatch 26th December 2020 10:34

I would back Williamson to beat Smith for runs scored if Australia are ever brave enough to play a test series in NZ.

Would be interesting to see how Smith copes with the NZ test pitches in Hamilton and Wellington, I think he might struggle.

MRNC4.0 26th December 2020 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatbatch (Post 880961)
I would back Williamson to beat Smith for runs scored if Australia are ever brave enough to play a test series in NZ.

Would be interesting to see how Smith copes with the NZ test pitches in Hamilton and Wellington, I think he might struggle.

Kane averaged 14 in his most recent series against Australia's bowlers and I think Smith averages something like 150 in NZ so maybe it'll be more competitive than you think :thumbsup: For whatever reason, Kiwi's just wilt against Australia. Do agree given the proximity of the countries we should be touring New Zealand and vice versa every 2 years, and really build the rivalry.

Greatbatch 27th December 2020 00:38

NZ 301/5 at lunch with Williamson out for 129, hopefully the lower order can get them past 400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 (Post 880963)
Kane averaged 14 in his most recent series against Australia's bowlers and I think Smith averages something like 150 in NZ so maybe it'll be more competitive than you think :thumbsup: For whatever reason, Kiwi's just wilt against Australia. Do agree given the proximity of the countries we should be touring New Zealand and vice versa every 2 years, and really build the rivalry.

The last test series Australia played in NZ was almost 5 years ago so they are overdue for another test series there.

Greatbatch 27th December 2020 03:48

A good innings of 73 from Watling with some help from the tail has got NZ's score over 400.

Could be a tough time for Pakistan when they are sent in to bat late in the day.

offa59 27th December 2020 11:07

With the restrictions on travel, and 2 countries with very strict controls, it would make sense to play against each other. But the new fangled Test championship / league might prevent them doing so

Greatbatch 28th December 2020 01:31

Shaping up as another one sided test series with Pakistan struggling at 70/5 off 52 overs.

Greatbatch 28th December 2020 07:10

A good partnership from Rizwan and Ashraf getting Pakistan up to a respectable total of 239, still a big first innings lead to NZ though.

square leg umpire 28th December 2020 23:14

Good display of strokeplay from Naheem to pass the follow on total.

Greatbatch 29th December 2020 04:26

The Pakistan top order struggling again chasing a target of 373, an NZ win looking likely some time tomorrow if they don't wrap it up tonight.

Ali TT 29th December 2020 22:18

In one direction the Mount Maunganui ground has a beautiful view up to the mount, in the other direction is an industrial estate, a view as ugly as Fawad's technique.

MRNC4.0 30th December 2020 03:45

Pak might go for an unlikely victory here. Need just under 5 runs an over with 6 wicket still in hand. Tough ask but if they don't lose any further wickets they might as well have a bite at it.

MRNC4.0 30th December 2020 03:56

Think I jinxed. Will put the breaks on completely now.

ConfusedMale 30th December 2020 05:54

New Zealand winning and probably sealing that spot for the WTC finals.

Greatbatch 30th December 2020 06:02

A close exciting finish in the end with Pakistan almost holding on for a draw, at tea with Rizwan and Fawad still there a Pakistan win was even a chance.

That win for NZ takes them to no,1 in the test rankings which is a bit surprising given how poor they were against Australia last summer, I'll take it though.

tony p 30th December 2020 08:32

Excellent days cricket. Full marks to both sides, N.Z. for never giving up, and Pakistan for their fine fighting attempt to bat the day out.

Sir Coolerking 30th December 2020 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatbatch (Post 881174)
A close exciting finish in the end with Pakistan almost holding on for a draw, at tea with Rizwan and Fawad still there a Pakistan win was even a chance.

That win for NZ takes them to no,1 in the test rankings which is a bit surprising given how poor they were against Australia last summer, I'll take it though.

As mentioned elsewhere, if most teams played 11 out of their last 14 series at home, and they were only 2 match series at that, I reckon they'd all have a chance of being number 1.

Why do they play so little cricket outside NZ? Does no one want to entertain them? Are they simply not money spinners?

Chin Music 30th December 2020 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking (Post 881187)
As mentioned elsewhere, if most teams played 11 out of their last 14 series at home, and they were only 2 match series at that, I reckon they'd all have a chance of being number 1.

Why do they play so little cricket outside NZ? Does no one want to entertain them? Are they simply not money spinners?

I think the money part is the big issue, especially with test matches. England hasn't played them here since the very entertaining mini-series back in 2015 yet have been over there twice and lost 1-0 twice.

Ali TT 30th December 2020 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin Music (Post 881189)
I think the money part is the big issue, especially with test matches. England hasn't played them here since the very entertaining mini-series back in 2015 yet have been over there twice and lost 1-0 twice.

I can't imagine they draw the crowds in test cricket. Even putting aside the fact they're the smallest test nation, they're also the dullest.