Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   England (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   T20 Specialists in ODI side (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=19735)

CDogg16 8th August 2015 19:08

T20 Specialists in ODI side
 
With the Ashes now on attention will turn to the limited overs series.

Like most other fans, I was impressed with England's new attacking brand of cricket in the series against New Zealand. However, although the cricket was explosive and exciting, I think there are a few players in the ODI side who would be better suited to develop in he T20 side, similarly to which Alex Hales did. (Only be bought in to the ODI side quicker.)

I would like to see Moeen come in for Roy, Taylor in for Billings and Broad in for Willey. Roy and Willey will both be important for England in the T20 World Cup, but it is important our ODI side is not packed with T20 players, like in the past it has been packed by Test players.

I am probably in the minority in thinking this, but I think there is still a difference between ODI and T20 cricket and the squads should be slightly different.

Ali TT 8th August 2015 20:55

Broad should be retired from the shorter formats.

Sir Virgs and Zamora 8th August 2015 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 681750)
Broad should be retired from the shorter formats.

This. Agree 100%

CDogg16 8th August 2015 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 681750)
Broad should be retired from the shorter formats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora (Post 681754)
This. Agree 100%

I would disagree. Broad is 29. When the next WC comes around he'll be 33 and still young enough to play. Look at his record compared to other players. Obviously he needs to be looked after and he shouldn't play in every series and shouldn't play in T20 but I can't think of a reason why he shouldn't still be part of England's ODI plans.

sanskritsimon 8th August 2015 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDogg16 (Post 681734)
With the Ashes now on attention will turn to the limited overs series.

Like most other fans, I was impressed with England's new attacking brand of cricket in the series against New Zealand. However, although the cricket was explosive and exciting, I think there are a few players in the ODI side who would be better suited to develop in he T20 side, similarly to which Alex Hales did. (Only be bought in to the ODI side quicker.)

I would like to see Moeen come in for Roy, Taylor in for Billings and Broad in for Willey. Roy and Willey will both be important for England in the T20 World Cup, but it is important our ODI side is not packed with T20 players, like in the past it has been packed by Test players.

I am probably in the minority in thinking this, but I think there is still a difference between ODI and T20 cricket and the squads should be slightly different.

One problem with this suggestion is that there is hardly any international 2020 cricket played outside of the global tournament. So there isn't really an England 2020 side to help develop. I think Moeen probably will come back in to the ODI side, but I don't think Taylor will. The role Billings was playing is a very important one and I think he can do it well. Towards the end of the innings there have to be people down the order who might be able to hit most of the remaining balls for six.

1000yardstare 8th August 2015 23:52

o
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDogg16 (Post 681734)
With the Ashes now on attention will turn to the limited overs series.

Like most other fans, I was impressed with England's new attacking brand of cricket in the series against New Zealand. However, although the cricket was explosive and exciting, I think there are a few players in the ODI side who would be better suited to develop in he T20 side, similarly to which Alex Hales did. (Only be bought in to the ODI side quicker.)

I would like to see Moeen come in for Roy, Taylor in for Billings and Broad in for Willey. Roy and Willey will both be important for England in the T20 World Cup, but it is important our ODI side is not packed with T20 players, like in the past it has been packed by Test players.

I am probably in the minority in thinking this, but I think there is still a difference between ODI and T20 cricket and the squads should be slightly different.

I agree with you.

CDogg16 15th August 2015 20:39

David Willey's innings vs Sussex was great and he has the potential to do that in an international T20 match, but I doubt he would in an ODI, seeing as boundaries are in a bit more and captains are more attacking at the start of the innings.

This is what I mean by the T20 line up differing from the ODI line up. With a World Cup coming up, I think England should be experimenting with the T20 side a bit more, not using the same players in he same roles as in ODIs.

Maty 15th August 2015 21:01

I'd certainly look to persist with Willey.

He strikes me as somebody who is really raised by the idea of the big occasion, you only have to look at the way he performed on T20 finals day two years back and again the other night for evidence of that. In essence he's a big game player and that isn't a quality that's easy to find.

Ali TT 16th August 2015 10:03

If there's a reason to not play him in the ODI side I reckon it's his bowling, not his batting. I agree with Maty about his temperament. CDogg you are too keen to put people in boxes

Chin Music 16th August 2015 10:34

The reality is that England have needed to identify a large-ish tranche of players following the disasterous World Cup campaign. The older players who have been shifted out, Cook , Bell, Anderson and Broad still obviously have a few years left in test cricket potentially and should be kept fresh for that.

A few folk have been critical of the performances of some of the newbies when the professional opinion is that you need to give newcomeers 20-30 games before finding out whether they can hack it in the 50 over format. Some of these guys who seem to have been dismissed as T20 specialists don't exactly have a bad record in the longer format of the domestic 50 over form of the game so therefore they need to be given an extended chance in this form of the game. There is still a heck of a lot of cricket to be played between now and February for the England side, ergo I would be looking to ease the burden on the test match players and give some of the newcomers more of a chance.

Fatslogger 16th August 2015 10:34

There's a conceptual problem here too: it seems likely that there are players who suit the T20 more than the ODI game (although the two have converged, I think) but there's so very little T20I cricket played that trying to judge your players on how they've performed in that format is approaching futile. In addition to the small number of games, you see rather little of most players in a game. Do badly in two warm up games and you're out when as a batsman that might have been a three ball score of 3 and a five ball score of 7 hacking at six in the order? You really have to make a lot of your calls on other information, mostly domestic T20 and ODI cricket. Fortunately, England's approach last ODI series seemed to have recognised the convergence of the formats and that makes it a lot easier because you do have at least a little more international exposure both to judge on and to have given the players experience.

CDogg16 16th August 2015 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 682671)
CDogg you are too keen to put people in boxes

Perhaps. I just like the idea of having a few T20 specialists in the side with a World Cup coming up.

Ali TT 16th August 2015 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDogg16 (Post 682695)
Perhaps. I just like the idea of having a few T20 specialists in the side with a World Cup coming up.

Pick the eleven best,does it matter if they're good at other formats as well?

CDogg16 16th August 2015 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali TT (Post 682703)
Pick the eleven best,does it matter if they're good at other formats as well?

But wouldn't you say a good 20/20 XI would include a medium pacer and pace of the ball is more effective.

Is Mark Wood in the top five 20/20 bowlers we have in this country?
Are Jason Roy and Sam Billings in the top six 50 overs batsmen?

That's not to say Roy and Billings shouldn't be in the T20 side and Wood shouldn't be in the ODI side.

Ali TT 17th August 2015 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDogg16 (Post 682706)
But wouldn't you say a good 20/20 XI would include a medium pacer and pace of the ball is more effective.

Is Mark Wood in the top five 20/20 bowlers we have in this country?
Are Jason Roy and Sam Billings in the top six 50 overs batsmen?

That's not to say Roy and Billings shouldn't be in the T20 side and Wood shouldn't be in the ODI side.

Yes

stevieh 17th August 2015 22:54

Pretty impressive effort by Sam Billings at Trent Bridge today. Being a wicketkeeper is going to make it more challenging, since he has to bat at six or below, in most instances, but he is a very exciting talent.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org