Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   England (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   England Player Watch 2017 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=22555)

CDogg16 17th March 2017 14:10

England Player Watch 2017

Seems like an ideal time to start a new one with the North vs South match underway.

Bestie 7th April 2017 11:23

So it begins today! Hameed and Livingstone in early together - the latter continuing in the experiment at three. Broad picked up a wicket in his first over, too.

Bestie 7th April 2017 12:22

Livingstone gone for 28 off 34 to the exciting Aaron Beard. Hameed seems in good touch, currently 32 off 62.

Minor Maggie 8th April 2017 21:08

Hameed 47 and 45. Jimmy 3/56.

1000yardstare 8th April 2017 23:56

Footitt 9-2-14-6
five of them ducks - Trott, Bell, Hain, Clarke, Barker :o

Bestie 9th April 2017 04:11

Hameed twice out for just shy of 50. Stokes made a half-century in a losing cause in the hit and giggle.

Redmachine 9th April 2017 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000yardstare (Post 755887)
Footitt 9-2-14-6
five of them ducks - Trott, Bell, Hain, Clarke, Barker :o

It's a shame but I think he may have missed his international chance. He's 31 now so would be a strange move by the selectors if they were to call him up.

Bestie 9th April 2017 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmachine (Post 755906)
It's a shame but I think he may have missed his international chance. He's 31 now so would be a strange move by the selectors if they were to call him up.

That probably is the case, but I think there is a lot of long-termism in international cricket and occasionally picking a guy who'd be the best for here and now might of use. The selection of Batty last winter gives him some hope, and he'd certainly be the kind of bowler we'd love to have as an option down under if he keeps this form up. Think his main trouble is getting an opening as I think our four quicks are fairly nailed on at the moment, but if Jimmy gets injured again or Woakes doesn't replicate his success of last summer he might well be an option. He's not the future but could still be an asset for a couple of years while we wait for the next generation of extremely talented young seamers to come through - both Currans are a few years and a bit more pace away from being ready for tests, for example.

1000yardstare 9th April 2017 11:11

Footitt offers something different, left arm and fast. They might look at him if he carries on the way he has started this season.

Bestie 9th April 2017 11:42

Mark Wood currently has 3-3 off 4 against the students.

Redmachine 9th April 2017 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestie (Post 755909)
That probably is the case, but I think there is a lot of long-termism in international cricket and occasionally picking a guy who'd be the best for here and now might of use. The selection of Batty last winter gives him some hope, and he'd certainly be the kind of bowler we'd love to have as an option down under if he keeps this form up. Think his main trouble is getting an opening as I think our four quicks are fairly nailed on at the moment, but if Jimmy gets injured again or Woakes doesn't replicate his success of last summer he might well be an option. He's not the future but could still be an asset for a couple of years while we wait for the next generation of extremely talented young seamers to come through - both Currans are a few years and a bit more pace away from being ready for tests, for example.

Good point. If they are just looking to up until the end of the Sydney test then he could easily do a job. He certainly is quick and the left arm factor can often be crucial.

I think they'll be openings this summer. The selectors will probably want Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Stokes to get through the whole SA series, unless, as you say, Woakes has a dip in form (the other 3 will never be dropped). However, I think that all of them will be given a chance to rest during the WI series. That will give Footitt, Finn, Roland-Jones, Ball, Plunkett and the Currans a chance. I rate Footitt and Ball as the best of that bunch, although I don't think it'll be long before the Currans rise to the top.

I forgot about Mark Wood.

Bestie 9th April 2017 11:57

I think we essentially have to build plans excluding Wood. If he's fit, then that's great and definitely a bonus. Most of the time, though, he probably won't be.

I find it hard to judge just how far away Sam Curran is, because when I see videos of him he appears pretty quick but I think a lot of that is down to his whippy action and slight build. His speeds when shown on TV tend to be lower than I expect. Not that it's the be-all and end-all, of course. Certainly once he's about 22/23, filled out and finished growing he'll be a bit quicker and a real handful if he maintains his swing.

Redmachine 9th April 2017 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestie (Post 755917)
I think we essentially have to build plans excluding Wood. If he's fit, then that's great and definitely a bonus. Most of the time, though, he probably won't be.

I find it hard to judge just how far away Sam Curran is, because when I see videos of him he appears pretty quick but I think a lot of that is down to his whippy action and slight build. His speeds when shown on TV tend to be lower than I expect. Not that it's the be-all and end-all, of course. Certainly once he's about 22/23, filled out and finished growing he'll be a bit quicker and a real handful if he maintains his swing.

I'm a Surrey member so see a lot of him. He bowls 80-83mph. But last year he was 17 years old, so that's actually pretty quick. His brother bowled at a similar pace last year, but according to Andy Flower, he has put on a yard playing for the lions this winter.

Bestie 9th April 2017 16:04

Wood finished with 4 for zip. His number of overs in each innings was fairly low, so Durham obviously working with England on keeping his workload carefully managed.

mustardcharlie 9th April 2017 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestie (Post 755917)

We must be careful that we do not get to a situation whereby the bowling attack all retire at the same time. Broad and Anderson are still, I think, the best opening seam attack in this country, if not the world. Strauss and co will be looking at the likes of Curran. All England fans will want JA and SB to continue until the next Ashes at least. Injuries and loss of form will almost certainly give the players mentioned a chance. Look at the long, long procession of pacemen/seamers produced in the 80s, 90s by WI. Glenn McGrath had to bide his time. Malcolm Marshall had to wait. We need someone to be taking wickets, week in week out at FC level. Pushing the established guys. Barring injury or dramatic loss of form, can anyone see anything other than Cook, Hameed, Jennings (any order), Root, followed by Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Buttler/Rashid, Woakes, Broad, Anderson for the first test against the Saffers? Ball, Curran, Finn etc will just have to wait for their chance.

geoff_boycotts_grandmother 10th April 2017 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustardcharlie (Post 755941)
We must be careful that we do not get to a situation whereby the bowling attack all retire at the same time. Broad and Anderson are still, I think, the best opening seam attack in this country, if not the world.

Woakes and Stokes aren't retiring any time soon.

And with a new captain with his own ideas and friends I think we'll increasingly see one of them opening the bowling.

Notts Exile 11th April 2017 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother (Post 755977)
And with a new captain with his own ideas and friends I think we'll increasingly see one of them opening the bowling.

It won't be Stokes though, will it?

Redmachine 11th April 2017 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notts Exile (Post 756090)
It won't be Stokes though, will it?

I don't see why not. Swings it late at good pace. I reckon he'll end up being a superb test bowler.

Fatslogger 11th April 2017 12:12

Batting at 6 and opening the bowling might be asking too much, although arguably not necessarily more than being first or second change bowler depending on total workload.

1000yardstare 11th April 2017 13:02

Flintoff liked to think of himself as an opening bowler at times. 26 Tests average 35.91 s/r 73.1. First change 29.11 s/r 59.1.