Cricket 24/7

Cricket 24/7 (http://www.cricket247.org/community/index.php)
-   International Cricket (http://www.cricket247.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pakistan v Australia (http://www.cricket247.org/community/showthread.php?t=25272)

cabinboy 23rd September 2018 23:16

Pakistan v Australia

Just a reminder - the Aussie squad for the Emirates is:

Tim Paine(c), Ashton Agar, Brendan Doggett, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Michael Neser, Matt Renshaw, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

The best test XI, I can put together from that patched up squad is the following:

Renshaw
Khawaja
Head
M. Marsh
S. Marsh
Finch
Paine
Lyon
Starc
Holland
Siddle

Normally, this is one of the more easy line ups to concoct, but from that squad, it was hard work.

Summer of '77 23rd September 2018 23:55

Good to see Siddle back a couple of years after his last Test appearance. Loved watching him snarling in for Essex this year and would rather like to see him in the Ashes squad next year.

square leg umpire 24th September 2018 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer of '77 (Post 808091)
Good to see Siddle back a couple of years after his last Test appearance. Loved watching him snarling in for Essex this year and would rather like to see him in the Ashes squad next year.

Essex must be upset. They will have signed him thinking his test days were over and now he could be in the Ashes squad next Summer.

sharky 24th September 2018 08:25

I can't see Labuschagne's name without thinking of Gilchrist absolutely butchering it during the Big Bash. It looks a pretty awful squad to me.

Fatslogger 24th September 2018 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 808099)
I can't see Labuschagne's name without thinking of Gilchrist absolutely butchering it during the Big Bash. It looks a pretty awful squad to me.

Batting’s terrible, bowling much worse than usual, so pretty shocking, yes, especially for the UAE, where the traditionally strong pace bowling matters less. Will need heroics from Starc and Lyon and some unexpectedly competent batting to give them a prayer, you’d think.

Bestie 24th September 2018 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 808099)

FC batting average of 28. And we thought our picks were sketchy!

sharky 24th September 2018 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestie (Post 808235)
FC batting average of 28. And we thought our picks were sketchy!

Cricinfo says his average is 34 which still isn't much to write home about. I assume he actually had a half decent season, but they seem to be scraping the barrel.

cabinboy 24th September 2018 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 808239)
Cricinfo says his average is 34 which still isn't much to write home about. I assume he actually had a half decent season, but they seem to be scraping the barrel.

Apparently, he scored two fifties which got him noticed.

MRNC4.0 24th September 2018 23:36

This is the worst team of all time.

Go Pakistan.

square leg umpire 24th September 2018 23:50

Will the series be television here?

Summer of '77 25th September 2018 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by square leg umpire (Post 808094)
Essex must be upset. They will have signed him thinking his test days were over and now he could be in the Ashes squad next Summer.

Two year contract and all. At least they'll have Cook back full time.

AJ101 25th September 2018 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by square leg umpire (Post 808260)

I don't think so, Sky have SA vs Zim instead....

sharky 25th September 2018 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by square leg umpire (Post 808260)

Looks like it's on one of the British-Asian channels called Prime TV.

AJ101 25th September 2018 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 808269)
Looks like it's on one of the British-Asian channels called Prime TV.

Good catch, I didn't think they had the rights for UAE anymore, it should still be streamable on their website as well as on sky then.

Bestie 25th September 2018 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky (Post 808239)

Ah I stand corrected, my quick google led me astray. The fact such a discrepancy exists says quite a lot on its own!

thedon 26th September 2018 12:28

That squad inspires confidence...

Not that it would matter much for this series as they practice that slow, looping funny type of bowling. Looking further on, move over Windies, could need to make a bit of room down there soon enough.

MRNC4.0 27th September 2018 13:40

Langer is the dumbest bloke alive. The idiots have truly take over the asylum. What a way to regain the trust of the Australian public, first they ostracize Maxwell on the basis of inaccurate, incorrect and an ever shifting statistical basis that they don't even know how to calculate, and then implement a selection criteria based on family lineage over merit. Sound logic, reasoning and common sense no longer hold a place in Australian Cricket. We are all doomed. Go Pakistan.

thedon 28th September 2018 16:31

It looks like they simply aren't going to pick Glen Maxwell again, for some reason. It's very strange that they asked him not to play overseas (county cricket?) earlier this year, specifically so that he could be fresh for the Aus A squad and tour to UAE...and then didn't bother picking him in either squad. Very poor form from CA, someone is having a lend of him there.

Burns is also a bit unlucky. Would be fair enough if they said he had a few problems against spin, except they have picked Khawaja. It's likely that everyone on this forum plays spin better than he does.

Looking at the team for the tour match, you could be forgiven for thinking it one of those weird touring teams where they didn't bother picking many batsmen. Except that this is our full strength batting line up, apparently lol.

Tim Paine (c), Aaron Finch, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Travis Head, Mitch Marsh, Michael Neser, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Jon Holland.

MRNC4.0 29th September 2018 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedon (Post 808801)
Looking at the team for the tour match, you could be forgiven for thinking it one of those weird touring teams where they didn't bother picking many batsmen. Except that this is our full strength batting line up, apparently lol.

Tim Paine (c), Aaron Finch, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Travis Head, Mitch Marsh, Michael Neser, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Jon Holland.

Finch, Nesser, Head, two Marsh bros. Dear god, that has to be the most aggressively mediocre team we've fielded since World Series Cricket.

Sir Coolerking 1st October 2018 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 (Post 808853)
Finch, Nesser, Head, two Marsh bros. Dear god, that has to be the most aggressively mediocre team we've fielded since World Series Cricket.

And yet they're doing surprisingly well against Pakistan A. Bowled them out for 278 with Lyon taking 8, now 291-2 with both the Marsh brothers on the verge of tons. Mind you, everything does seem to be happening in slow motion - can they kick on after lunch and set up a big lead to win it?