View Single Post
Old 1st January 2016, 23:30   #13
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess

Team(s): England, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goochies Lovechild View Post
Why expect low scores - He batted well at Durban - Typical hype to build somone up only to knock them down - I would have voted for him a MOM had Elgar not batted so well

What is peoples problem with Compton - Ok he is a Sud and went to school with Hashim but he has a solid defense in a Trott mode and is a great slip in at three against Bell who dragged his career out and really became embarasing at the end

Im not sure what pundits you are referring to but if its the sky lot then they should stick to keeping quiet and reading some of the written press opinions - Dont get me off on Botham....

I have not heard this - Please link me to this comment.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-af...ry/956991.html

I think you've misunderstood the tone of my post. I am a big Compton fan. Expecting low scores is a tongue in cheek comment given the faint praise given him by Trevor Bayliss. Perhaps faint praise is not the right expression, but in the interview he seems more interested in what is wrong with having Compton at #3 than what he can bring to the team. Remember, Bayliss is more of a one-day coach. He is very excited by the young England batsmen who have brought positive, aggressive batting into the game, particularly in the one-day formats. It isn't necessarily the right approach in test cricket though. But we have positive batsmen down the order. They don't all have to bat in the same way.

It was the pundits on both Sky and TMS who mostly agreed that Compton's approach paid off and was a big help to England. Once again I mustn't have made myself clear. It was disappointing that Bayliss has cast doubt on his suitability as a no. 3 after one match, and one match in which his method of batting was exactly what was required. It may not work another time, but that would be the time to mention it, not now.

I don't think fans have a problem with Compton at all. Not in the big wide fan world. It might just be on this board.