View Single Post
Old 10th July 2017, 07:34   #389
Rebelstar
International Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
That was the first 10 wicket haul at Lord's for an England spinner since Derek Underwood in1974. I'll leave it to the reader to provide the details and the opposition on that occasion.
Says as much about the quality of English spin between then and now as it does about Ali's performance. He bowled well enough, I'd have still given the MOTM award to Root whose 190 was scored when England were in trouble and gave England the total that gave them control.

Also it's only 1 more wicket than Swann took against Pakistan in 2010 (4/12 and 5/62) and again against Australia in 2013 (5/44 and 4/78) I mean fair play to Ali, got a few batsmen out, a few got themselves out, but then it was ever thus with him. If we're looking at records, when did a team last get bowled out at Lords with no batsmen making more than 21?

Anyway, both sets of batsmen did their best to make that pitch look worse than it was. Might have had a few balls keep low and not been the easiest to bat on, but some pretty poor shots were played and no way there should have been 19 wickets.

I suppose there were a couple of unlucky dismissals, a strangle down the legside, the ball playing pinball into the stumps, one or two keeping low, but generally I think once a few wickets fell the pitch was in a lot of batsmen's heads
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote