Thread: Samit Patel
View Single Post
Old 4th March 2009, 20:36   #196
Marauding Bison
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
From The Guardian

Morris said Patel's fitness levels were a source of concern to the old regime of Peter Moores and Kevin Pietersen when they were conducting the one-day campaign in India, but it is under Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower that action has been taken. "It's a harsh lesson and a strong message," added Morris.

That message is designed for several other England players as well as Patel. He is still a peripheral player, who could be regarded, for want of a better phrase, as a soft target. His absence will not matter too much but the fact that England have taken such an unprecedented step is surely designed to alert more established figures that they can take nothing for granted. Patel may be considered the all too visible tip of an iceberg.
The public nature of this seems to have been done pour encourager les autres
Not having been born to Conservatism, it has never occurred to me to think of it as a form of original sin. I simply became convinced that the things that had drawn me into political activism the belief that every individual should be able to fulfil his potential, and that the liberation of the human spirit should be the primary aim of a free society were better served by the economic and political programme of what was called the Right. Janet Daley
Marauding Bison is offline   Reply With Quote