View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2007, 07:36   #178
Archimandrite Herring
International Material

Team(s): Northants, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakattak View Post
But then we are bringing English players through. Not to international level, perhaps, but we have developed players such as Patel, Franks and Shafayat ourselves. We also plucked Charlie Shreck from the minor counties. Obviously Shafayat had to move away to get the opportunities he needed, so is a slightly dubious example... I hope the same fate doesn't befall Footitt.

As for the development thing - Read, Shreck and possibly Sidebottom are all better players than when we signed them, and I think you could argue we've done Swann some good too.
Swann has improved a lot in his consistency- he doesn't bowl a half-tracker in nearly every over. I think what's helped him was the change in action, which was towards the end of his time at Northants. He got rid of the pronounced rock backwards that he had in his delivery stride, that always made him look off-balance.
In any case Swann moving to Notts was a good thing for both Northants and England, since it meant Monty could get into the first team.
Archimandrite Herring is offline   Reply With Quote