Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2018, 21:47   #2721
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Two more fabulous matches today. Narine cracked 50 in 17 balls – which seemed rather pedestrian after Rahul had reached 50 in just 14 balls!

But the bowlers are fighting back, too – especially the young’uns who know no fear. After the discovery yesterday of the 20 year old googly maestro Markande, today it was the turn of the 17 year old Afghani off-spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman who lost nothing in comparison to Ashwin bowling at the other end.

While we wait impatiently for the start of England’s own super T20 in two years time, the dozen English players in this season’s IPL are going to learn so much. Chris Woakes, for example, could never play in a side with a top four of McCullum, de Kock, Kohli and AB De Villiers in English domestic cricket and he can only become a better player in such company.

Even those who are currently carrying the drinks, such as Curran, Billings and Moeen Ali, must be learning skills they are never going to acquire in the ‘’mediocre’’ Blast. Billings is a good example : he’s bound to return to England as a much improved player after spending eight weeks as understudy and protégé to the Mighty M.S.Dhoni (even though my inner selfish b*a*s*t*a*r*d would much rather he was playing for Kent in the CC!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
How much are the ECB paying you to keep trotting out this bon mot?
Exactly. The record is stuck. Maybe an edit to the original post: "Whilst I wait impatiently..."
And how much is the IPL paying?

I know it's been said many times before, more eloquently - I'm not proclaiming to be a journalist - but endless half centuries off less than 20 balls is more like baseball than cricket. Certain people might get excited about that but I'd rather watch Lancs 2s play and have a really good chat with other spectators, players and coaches etc. in the relaxed atmosphere
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 21:53   #2722
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Exactly. The record is stuck. Maybe an edit to the original post: "Whilst I wait impatiently..."
And how much is the IPL paying?

I know it's been said many times before, more eloquently - I'm not proclaiming to be a journalist - but endless half centuries off less than 20 balls is more like baseball than cricket. Certain people might get excited about that but I'd rather watch Lancs 2s play and have a really good chat with other spectators, players and coaches etc. in the relaxed atmosphere
Indeed. I wrote a blog piece a few weeks ago about the seemingly never ending spectacular feats:

http://www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpr...fts-all-boats/
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 21:58   #2723
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Exactly. The record is stuck. Maybe an edit to the original post: "Whilst I wait impatiently..."
And how much is the IPL paying?

I know it's been said many times before, more eloquently - I'm not proclaiming to be a journalist - but endless half centuries off less than 20 balls is more like baseball than cricket. Certain people might get excited about that but I'd rather watch Lancs 2s play and have a really good chat with other spectators, players and coaches etc. in the relaxed atmosphere
There's also parallels between the IPL and Football's Premier League in this country. Both proclaim to be the best league in the world in their sports but their claims are seemingly based on the eye watering salaries paid to the players and the number of people watching as opposed to the quality of play. I dont subscribe to the theory that the IPL is the best T20 league in terms of quality despite how many times such a claim is made. If anything proclaiming one league as better than any other is a capricious business as there are a myriad of variables. The IPL doesnt help its cause / claims with its en masse ignorance of their neighbours to the west.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 22:00   #2724
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Exactly. The record is stuck. Maybe an edit to the original post: "Whilst I wait impatiently..."
And how much is the IPL paying?

I know it's been said many times before, more eloquently - I'm not proclaiming to be a journalist - but endless half centuries off less than 20 balls is more like baseball than cricket. Certain people might get excited about that but I'd rather watch Lancs 2s play and have a really good chat with other spectators, players and coaches etc. in the relaxed atmosphere
You clearly know nothing about baseball
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 23:29   #2725
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
You clearly know nothing about baseball
Absolutely nothing, other than a general picture of a batter slugging it out of the stadium - or trying to - and being cheered to the rafters. Or is that softball or rounders?

I've watched 2nd XI T20 - in front of a large crowd (thanks to Andrew Flintoff's participation) didn't happen there, we were left in peace to enjoy the games.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 01:20   #2726
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Do you go to many of their 1 and 4-day games?
A few days at the four day game. Follow religiously with commentary in other matches. This year we have live video and comms. Watched it earlier vs Ireland and it is great.

Sadly with family commitments I just can't get to many more.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 09:38   #2727
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
I dont subscribe to the theory that the IPL is the best T20 league in terms of quality .
If you can find a higher quality top four than McCallum, De Kock, Kohli and A.B.De Villiers whom we saw for the Challengers yesterday, please tell us where as we would love to see it!

But apart from signing up all the biggest names- including 12 English stalwarts from the shires in this edition - what is really exciting is the fearless young bowling talent that is emerging to counter the big hitters with the big bats. Markande and Mujeeb ur Rahman, 20 and 17 respectively - and that's just from the first two games of the comp. Who knows what other demon bowlers of the future are yet to emerge?

There has been some truly wonderful cricket on display in the first two days of the competition and I'm sorry that you have decided that you don't like it, Hector. You've a lot more hiding behind the sofa to do over the next seven weeks as every single game is being covered live on Sky!

Terrific article on the universal appeal of the IPL by Simon Wilde in the Sunday Times yesterday, btw. You should have a read.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 09:57   #2728
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
If you can find a higher quality top four than McCallum, De Kock, Kohli and A.B.De Villiers whom we saw for the Challengers yesterday, please tell us where as we would love to see it!

But apart from signing up all the biggest names- including 12 English stalwarts from the shires in this edition - what is really exciting is the fearless young bowling talent that is emerging to counter the big hitters with the big bats. Markande and Mujeeb ur Rahman, 20 and 17 respectively - and that's just from the first two games of the comp. Who knows what other demon bowlers of the future are yet to emerge?

There has been some truly wonderful cricket on display in the first two days of the competition and I'm sorry that you have decided that you don't like it, Hector. You've a lot more hiding behind the sofa to do over the next seven weeks as every single game is being covered live on Sky!

Terrific article on the universal appeal of the IPL by Simon Wilde in the Sunday Times yesterday, btw. You should have a read.
Not quite sure how my not subscribing to the hype translates as not liking it but there you go.

Dont have sky so wont be hiding behind any sofa. More likely to be out in the fresh air watching matches rather than cooped up in my lounge. I find its good for the health and the soul.

Well done for ignoring my comments about england's success prior to many players playing in the IPL!
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 10:30   #2729
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Well done for ignoring my comments about england's success prior to many players playing in the IPL!
Where is this comment about England's glorious T20 success? I can't reply because I can't find it and haven't read it.

So are you saying you do like the IPL, after all, and the only reason you don't watch it is that you don't have a Sky subscription?

And if you're spending the next seven weeks outdoors, do wrap up warm and take an umbrella. Sadly some of us have work to do that keeps us inside - although when we are able to venture out, we can still watch the IPL on Sky Go!
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 11:04   #2730
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Where is this comment about England's glorious T20 success? I can't reply because I can't find it and haven't read it.

So are you saying you do like the IPL, after all, and the only reason you don't watch it is that you don't have a Sky subscription?

And if you're spending the next seven weeks outdoors, do wrap up warm and take an umbrella. Sadly some of us have work to do that keeps us inside - although when we are able to venture out, we can still watch the IPL on Sky Go!
Posts 2719 and 2720.

Wont be out this week. Plenty of fixtures booked in for the rest of april and may though!
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 12:40   #2731
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Royals v Sunrisers promises to be another cracker this afternoon for all those who don't object to seeing English players in garishly coloured 'foreign' livery, as Buttler, Stokes, Hales and Jofra Archer are all due to play.

Also looking forward to seeing the thrilling 19 year old Afghani legspinner Rashid Khan, who despite his extreme youth already has 47 international T20 wkts at an average of 13 with an astonishing economy rate of 5.8.

He also took his 100th ODI wicket two weeks ago v West Indies.

The current crop of young oriental mystery twirlers has to be the most exciting phenomenon since Warne and Murali arrived on the scene.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 14:57   #2732
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Royals v Sunrisers promises to be another cracker this afternoon for all those who don't object to seeing English players in garishly coloured 'foreign' livery, as Buttler, Stokes, Hales and Jofra Archer are all due to play.

Also looking forward to seeing the thrilling 19 year old Afghani legspinner Rashid Khan, who despite his extreme youth already has 47 international T20 wkts at an average of 13 with an astonishing economy rate of 5.8.

He also took his 100th ODI wicket two weeks ago v West Indies.

The current crop of young oriental mystery twirlers has to be the most exciting phenomenon since Warne and Murali arrived on the scene.
If the IPL was as good as you say, there would be no need for you to advertise it like this. What are you playing at? You are as insufferable as the commentators. Even the people who agree with you -- if there are any -- will find your hyperbole embarrassing, O King of Hysteria. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the match, and I'm giving you advance notice that I'll ignore your abusive response to this post. But I would dispute your claim that this coming game promises to be a cracker. In fact no limited overs cricket match can really promise to be a cracker, because if the side batting first scores a substandard total, as fairly often happens, then the whole contest is effectively beggared by (or shortly after) half time. In this regard any two-innings match is much more promising, because either team has the chance to make up for a poor first innings, and the draw offers an additional kind of possible exciting finish.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 15:27   #2733
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
If the IPL was as good as you say, there would be no need for you to advertise it like this. What are you playing at? You are as insufferable as the commentators. Even the people who agree with you -- if there are any -- will find your hyperbole embarrassing, O King of Hysteria. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the match, and I'm giving you advance notice that I'll ignore your abusive response to this post. But I would dispute your claim that this coming game promises to be a cracker. In fact no limited overs cricket match can really promise to be a cracker, because if the side batting first scores a substandard total, as fairly often happens, then the whole contest is effectively beggared by (or shortly after) half time. In this regard any two-innings match is much more promising, because either team has the chance to make up for a poor first innings, and the draw offers an additional kind of possible exciting finish.
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 16:28   #2734
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Ooooh, cheer up, poor old Sadsack Simon.

I know that posters like you and your little echo gumduf only come on here to be miserable and moan that the game has gone to the dogs; but it is sad that your ire is raised by anybody who shows any positivity about the modern game. Some of us find pleasure in all of cricket's many manifestations, from coaching five year-olds to watching the IPL and everything in between!

Try to enjoy the match, which starts in 5 mins. It promises to be a cracker.

Of course, as you point out in that characteristically hangdog way of yours, promise isn't always fulfilled. But the three games this weekend were all crackers and I'm betting on making it four out of four.

Sadly Archer and Hales haven't been selected but Sunrisers have won the toss and are just taking ther field. Can't wait to see the 19 year-old super spinner from Afghanistan bowling at Buttler and Stokes.... and will Stokes be fit enough to bowl at Kane Williamson? A treat in store, I think!

LLLBH (live, love, laugh and be happy) !!!
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 20:07   #2735
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,497
Unfollowing skycricket on twitter as they push this more than WAK. Sounds like another edge of the seat thriller today.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 01:21   #2736
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,144
Willey the latest to join. So far 4 players have played, Wood, Woakes, Stokes and Buttler.

Royal Challengers Bangalore - Woakes, Ali
Kolkata Knight Riders - Curran
Chennai Super Kings - Billings, Wood, Willey
Delhi Daredevils - Roy, Plunkett
Rajasthan Royals - Stokes, Buttler, Archer,
Sunrisers Hyderabad - Jordan, Hales

T20 Bowling
147 games 21.83 econ 7.82 - Willey
119 games 26.70 econ 7.90 - Plunkett
115 games 26.76 econ 8.43 - Jordan
109 games 26.79 econ 7.38 - Ali
103 games 24.42 econ 8.22 - Woakes
93 games 34.41 econ 8.36 - Stokes
51 games 27.16 econ 8.25 - Curran
41 games 23.28 econ 7.90 - Archer
19 games 26.95 econ 8.62 - Wood

Will the Mumbai Indians be picking another seamer from England, Cummins ruled out after a back injury?

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 10th April 2018 at 11:55.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 10:34   #2737
Arachibutyrophobic
International Material
 
Arachibutyrophobic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,543
I'm with Simon.

I'm not with the ECB stooge.
Arachibutyrophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 13:09   #2738
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Unfollowing skycricket on twitter as they push this more than WAK. Sounds like another edge of the seat thriller today.
If Sky are showing the IPL on their TV channel, it is fairly obvious that they will plug their coverage on twitter. They have something to gain from pushing the league all the time, they have invested in it and need to maximise their investment.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 14:17   #2739
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,243
Where's our resident cheerleader today?

Must be getting a new set of pom-poms as the present ones must be worn out.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 19:04   #2740
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Another thriller between Kings and Riders.

After a stately start, Dre Russell hit 78 fromn his last 25 balls.

Then Kings smashed 75 from the power play, before young Curran broke the opening stand. This one is going to be a cracker.

Keep grumbling, all you T20 haters. Cricket is the winner here and you're the saddo losers!
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:03.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org