Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2017, 10:41   #21
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Historical comparisons really aren't relevant here as the game is vastly different to how it was 30 years ago, let alone 70.
That's just a nothing argument. And was used 30 years ago by many to try and stop Sri Lanka and then Bangladesh from being admitted into the club.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 12:37   #22
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
That's just a nothing argument. And was used 30 years ago by many to try and stop Sri Lanka and then Bangladesh from being admitted into the club.
Was it really?
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 14:52   #23
square leg umpire
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 7,831
England play too many matches, at least at home. it's led to the Ashes being squeezed in the 2nd half of the Summer which is a disgrace. Drastic pruning needed not enlargement.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 17:58   #24
Hector
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 38
Posts: 2,814
So those that are against expansion we are left with the current scenario:

1.) Ireland aren't good enough to play test cricket.
2.) If they produce test standard players they are poached by England.
3.) Ireland are left with players not good enough for test cricket.

Vicious circle?

http://www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpr...-green-circle/

If Ireland had test status they might be able to keep their best players and improve the general standard of Irish cricket. Otherwise the above cycle will never be broken.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 19:28   #25
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
Was it really?
Probably not, it wouldn't be the first stretching of the truth.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 19:54   #26
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Probably not, it wouldn't be the first stretching of the truth.
Yes it was, the Club was very reluctant to let Sri Lanka in, and didn't for a decade. The argument being they weren't good enough and wouldn't be able to compete.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 20:04   #27
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
Yes it was, the Club was very reluctant to let Sri Lanka in, and didn't for a decade. The argument being they weren't good enough and wouldn't be able to compete.
Well, it seems the club now want to expand the number of test teams. So at least over the years the consistent thing is that the club are wrong.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 20:28   #28
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,700
Osman Samiuddin's cricinfo article on the shabbiness of the new deal is worth reading. So pleased to see Grubby Clarke has he grubby paws all in it too.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 18:50   #29
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Historical comparisons really aren't relevant here as the game is vastly different to how it was 30 years ago, let alone 70.
What were the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
That's just a nothing argument. And was used 30 years ago by many to try and stop Sri Lanka and then Bangladesh from being admitted into the club.
Agreed, although Bangladesh just havent progressed much in 18 years of test cricket. I'd like to have them play for their space in a relegation type deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Well, it seems the club now want to expand the number of test teams. So at least over the years the consistent thing is that the club are wrong.
Your argument is confused, considering Afg and Irl might not be playing the top 9 nations anyway.
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 10:48   #30
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Historical comparisons really aren't relevant here as the game is vastly different to how it was 30 years ago, let alone 70.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyguntheballs View Post
What were the differences? ...
Oh, just little things like longer boundaries, uncovered wickets, no protective headgear and bats that weren't nearly all "middle".
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 13:27   #31
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Oh, just little things like longer boundaries, uncovered wickets, no protective headgear and bats that weren't nearly all "middle".
So that made it an easier environment for Pakistan and Sri Lanka to succeed in whereas now helmets, shorter boundaries and large bats have made it more difficult for Afg or Irl to succeed as test nations?
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 13:56   #32
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,611
What's that got to do with it?

You asked what the differences were between now and 30 to 70 years ago.

Last edited by D/L : 8th February 2017 at 14:07.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 17:07   #33
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
What's that got to do with it?

You asked what the differences were between now and 30 to 70 years ago.
maybe try understanding the context of the discussion
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 11:19   #34
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,611
In that case, be a good fellow and include some context in a post* to which you shouldn't be surprised to see a reply, particularly if the comment made cries out for a challenge.

After all, in many cases, to wade through all posts, merely to check for a wider context, can be a very dreary task and I suspect that may have been the case here.

*In this case, #29.

Last edited by D/L : 9th February 2017 at 14:46.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 14:14   #35
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Rashid Khan would be great to see in County Cricket. I'm sure the Afghans would come relatively cheap too for some of those counties struggling for funds at the moment.

Anyway, I'd be glad to see Afghanistan and Ireland in Test cricket. At the very least, teams touring England could play a Test in Belfast or Dublin as a warm up to the Test series in England. Would be much better preparation than the very limited (or no) preparation that most touring teams bother for these days.
I agree entirely, Afghanistan will likely be playing in the UAE so similar can be said for them in providing warm ups for a series against Pakistan. I'm definitely for them both being given Test status.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 15:00   #36
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyguntheballs View Post
What were the differences?



Agreed, although Bangladesh just havent progressed much in 18 years of test cricket. I'd like to have them play for their space in a relegation type deal.



Your argument is confused, considering Afg and Irl might not be playing the top 9 nations anyway.
I think cabinboy brought up the comparisons to history so not sure why I need to explain. But I would've thought differences were pretty obvious.

If we have two tiers of test cricket, the second tier shouldn't be playing tests as it somewhat devalues the format (further). You'd end up with new generations of ten Doeschates with silly test averages but who really aren't that good. Perhaps call it "Associate plus".

Relegation might also mean that we might no longer have high profile eg Ashes or India Australia series for a while. And as soon as that happens, the big boards will close rank again.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 15:03   #37
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,700
If you have further test sides and an expectation that everyone should play everyone in a certain time frame, you also need to accept that there might be:
- More 1-2 test series, even between the "bigger" sides
- More test cricket already packed into a very tight international calendar, meaning under prepared touring sides, players dropping out through injuries or to have rests, and arguments with T20 leagues
- A higher proportion of tests that are one sided in nature, and not just between the top sides and the new minnows.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 20:33   #38
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
You'd end up with new generations of ten Doeschates with silly test averages but who really aren't that good. Perhaps call it "Associate plus".
What a silly point. Like saying you shouldn't have the ACON tournament because African strikers will score more goals as it's easier to score against Burkino Faso than Germany.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 20:37   #39
Hector
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 38
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
What a silly point. Like saying you shouldn't have the ACON tournament because African strikers will score more goals as it's easier to score against Burkino Faso than Germany.
We wont be growing the game because of the stats.

Will somebody think of the stats, please think of the stats!
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 22:36   #40
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
What a silly point. Like saying you shouldn't have the ACON tournament because African strikers will score more goals as it's easier to score against Burkino Faso than Germany.
I thought we should be steering clear of football comparisons?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org