Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2017, 11:28   #621
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Ironically, the one player you'd think needs some rest to recover from an injury is skippering this team.

Some of the decision making on this tour is getting ridiculous.
This goes back beyond "on tour" the squad is a shambles.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 11:30   #622
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Ironically, the one player you'd think needs some rest to recover from an injury is skippering this team.

Some of the decision making on this tour is getting ridiculous.
Moeen in the last chance saloon ? Doesn't get a score he's dropped for the WACA ?

If Wood is fit and bowling well he would be the obvious choice to bring in for the 3rd test - but no obvious candidate to drop in the fast bowlers.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 11:39   #623
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Moeen in the last chance saloon ? Doesn't get a score he's dropped for the WACA ?

If Wood is fit and bowling well he would be the obvious choice to bring in for the 3rd test - but no obvious candidate to drop in the fast bowlers.
Why would they drop moeen? Isn't he batting at least a as well as vince and malan?

According to the media Wood is getting faster and faster the longer he is out of the side. Last time he played for England he was about 84ish. Good to know he has added 6 mph during his spell injured. I am excited to see him back to his pace from a few years ago. All of those injuries must have helped him.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 12:02   #624
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
If Wood is fit and bowling well he would be the obvious choice to bring in for the 3rd test - but no obvious candidate to drop in the fast bowlers.
It will most likely be Overton. Woakes allegedly can bat really well, though we've never truly seen it in Tests.

SV&Z will go mental.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 12:47   #625
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Why would they drop moeen? Isn't he batting at least a as well as vince and malan?

According to the media Wood is getting faster and faster the longer he is out of the side. Last time he played for England he was about 84ish. Good to know he has added 6 mph during his spell injured. I am excited to see him back to his pace from a few years ago. All of those injuries must have helped him.
Cook has less runs than all 3 of 'em.

For the WACA you could go with a 4 bowler pace attack or 4 plus Woakes.

Or as NE suggests - drop Overton for Wood and play Ali as a batsman.

Cook
Stoneman
Vince (or Moeen batting lower)
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Woakes
Overton
Wood
Broad
Anderson

or

Cook
Stoneman
Vince
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Moeen
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Probably the latter is the more likely team IMHO.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 19:08   #626
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
What happens if someone gets loads of runs or loads of wickets? I assume moeen won't do much bowling in a side with England's best spin bowler and a young leggie.
Pretty sure Leach will be 12th man.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 19:16   #627
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Cook has less runs than all 3 of 'em.

For the WACA you could go with a 4 bowler pace attack or 4 plus Woakes.

Or as NE suggests - drop Overton for Wood and play Ali as a batsman.

Cook
Stoneman
Vince (or Moeen batting lower)
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Woakes
Overton
Wood
Broad
Anderson

or

Cook
Stoneman
Vince
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Moeen
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Probably the latter is the more likely team IMHO.
Yeah I think that bottom team will be the Xl. A few guys in that top 7 lucky to be getting so many chances. They should thank the fact that there are so few quality players in this country at the moment.

Will be interesting if one of the lions scores runs in Perth. I think the top 7 will be:
1. Jennings
2. Duckett
3. Livingstone
4. Ballance
5. Lawrence
6. Ali
7. Foakes

My bet is that either Jennings or Ballance will score big against amateurs. Get a recall at some point , only to embarrass themselves again. I’ve got high hopes for Lawrence and Livingstone so hope they do well.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 19:21   #628
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,532
It would be harsh to drop England's best player from the last match. He has a test match bowling average of 29 and batting average of 49 (i think). Fields brilliantly too. It would be very England to drop their best performer in a defeat though.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 19:52   #629
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
It would be harsh to drop England's best player from the last match. He has a test match bowling average of 29 and batting average of 49 (i think). Fields brilliantly too. It would be very England to drop their best performer in a defeat though.
So he's a worse bowler than Alastair Cook and has scored under 50 runs in test cricket.

I see you're not over KP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 19:55   #630
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
It would be harsh to drop England's best player from the last match. He has a test match bowling average of 29 and batting average of 49 (i think). Fields brilliantly too. It would be very England to drop their best performer in a defeat though.
Are you really going to bring stats into the discussion about a player who’s played one match?

He’s the only logical option if you want to get Wood in. We aren’t going to drop a batsmen as our batting is dreadful. We aren’t going to drop Anderson or Broad as they’re our best bowlers. They won’t drop Woakes as he got a 4for in the 2nd innings and they certainly won’t want a tail consisting of:
8. Overton
9. Wood
10. Broad
11. Anderson

So what do you want them to do? I assume, like most people, you are in favour of bring a genuine quick bowler into the side?
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 19:56   #631
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
Are you really going to bring stats into the discussion about a player who’s played one match?
Are you new here?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 20:41   #632
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
Are you really going to bring stats into the discussion about a player who’s played one match?

He’s the only logical option if you want to get Wood in. We aren’t going to drop a batsmen as our batting is dreadful. We aren’t going to drop Anderson or Broad as they’re our best bowlers. They won’t drop Woakes as he got a 4for in the 2nd innings and they certainly won’t want a tail consisting of:
8. Overton
9. Wood
10. Broad
11. Anderson

So what do you want them to do? I assume, like most people, you are in favour of bring a genuine quick bowler into the side?
It was clearly tongue in cheek. That said he had the stomach for the fight. Plus re stats...his almost 50 odd wickets in the championship at about 25 playing half his matches at Taunton are the other evidence we have.

I agree with Nasser that he was our stand out performer in this test. Not bad for debut.

Has wood really added 6 mph to his bowling since getting injured? Isn't his bowling average in the 40s too? Nothing like being out of the side to improve is there?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 20:55   #633
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
It was clearly tongue in cheek. That said he had the stomach for the fight. Plus re stats...his almost 50 odd wickets in the championship at about 25 playing half his matches at Taunton are the other evidence we have.

I agree with Nasser that he was our stand out performer in this test. Not bad for debut.

Has wood really added 6 mph to his bowling since getting injured? Isn't his bowling average in the 40s too? Nothing like being out of the side to improve is there?
Wood was probably carrying an injury when bowling 84mph so it's plausible that fully fit he's back to 90mph. If he's fit and it's the WACA of old he's probably the first English bowler I'd want to throw the ball to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 21:06   #634
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Wood was probably carrying an injury when bowling 84mph so it's plausible that fully fit he's back to 90mph. If he's fit and it's the WACA of old he's probably the first English bowler I'd want to throw the ball to.
Neither of these things are going to be the case though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 21:16   #635
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebroston Chase View Post
Neither of these things are going to be the case though.
Yeah even if he did touch 90mph I can't see him sustaining it for any length of time. It's not as if he's run through many Test batting line ups from what I remember anyway.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 22:57   #636
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Yeah even if he did touch 90mph I can't see him sustaining it for any length of time. It's not as if he's run through many Test batting line ups from what I remember anyway.
Never got more than 3 wickets in an innings - played 10 matches

Strike rate of 72.

Average 41.

I am sorry, I just don't get why people think him less than match fit will be amazing. Hopefully wrong if he plays.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 22:58   #637
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Never got more than 3 wickets in an innings - played 10 matches

Strike rate of 72.

Average 41.

I am sorry, I just don't get why people think him less than match fit will be amazing. Hopefully wrong if he plays.
2-0 down, Ashes hanging by a thread, folks getting desperate.
Summer of '77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 09:48   #638
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,532
Moeen won't bowl in the warm up match because he is injured. What a shock.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story?id...-perth-warm-up
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 10:00   #639
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Moeen won't bowl in the warm up match because he is injured. What a shock.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story?id...-perth-warm-up
Why did he declare himself fit then for the second test ?

Cost us the Ashes.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 10:06   #640
gmdf
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Why did he declare himself fit then for the second test ?

Cost us the Ashes.
Perhaps he was fit at the start of the game, but the injury reopened during it?

FWIW A lot of things are 'costing us the Ashes' - certainly not just Moeen's spinning finger!
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:43.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org