Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2017, 13:56   #101
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Best of a limited bunch, presumably. Can't think of another pace bowler in the squad with a stronger claim.

Captain's innings needed from Root now.
Surely for the role that Root wanted Ball to do, Plunkett or even Garton wouldíve been better.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 16:18   #102
square leg umpire
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 7,831
Just watched the highlights. If Jimmy is injured and can't bowl in the 4th innings it's a disaster and Moin not causing anything like the same problems Lyon is. Perhaps the crucial thing was England's major run scorer Vince getting run out and Smith going on. Promising start to the test for England but everything going wrong.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 16:26   #103
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,712
England should’ve expected there would be days like this in the series, with Australia playing attritional cricket and then unleashing a new ball barrage.

The good news is that we are just two down with our best batsman still undefeated and two days remaining. The disappointment in Cook can be offset with how well Stoneman has grafted, so there is hope that England can tough out the morning session and then prosper in the heat of the afternoon of day 4.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 16:41   #104
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,697
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42122793

CricViz has the Aussies 61% likely to win the game with the England win only 22% likely. Realistically if England can get a lead of circa 250 it will at least be in the balance. Here's where the non converted 50s hurt England. That and Cook's continuing struggles. He needs to find at least some of the stickability he had v South Africa where he dug out a couple of fine efforts, not least the 88 at the Oval. The problem is that I wonder if he really isn't quite markedly on the downslope. The signs for me have been there over the last couple of years.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 17:51   #105
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,913
If Anderson isnít injured, why did he bowl three overs with the new ball before lunch but not be brought on again straight after lunch, with a wicket each having been taken by him and Broad? There was mention of a niggle, he apparently took a pain killer and getting bruised while batting was mentioned. But he was running around on the field.

If he is injured, why was he eventually brought back on before tea when the horse had already bolted? Likewise, why didnít Root continue with Broad straight after lunch given the momentum built with the two wickets just prior to the break? No injury worries surrounding him.

The tactics are unfathomable. This is Brisbane where Englandís Ashes hopes have been dashed so often. Giving the second string bowlers thirteen overs after lunch looesened Englandís grip on the game and allowed Aus to take a small lead. This affected morale, eroded any optimism about going into the third innings still ahead and no doubt contributed to the fall of two wickets before the close.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 18:03   #106
square leg umpire
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
If Anderson isnít injured, why did he bowl three overs with the new ball before lunch but not be brought on again straight after lunch, with a wicket each having been taken by him and Broad? There was mention of a niggle, he apparently took a pain killer and getting bruised while batting was mentioned. But he was running around on the field.

If he is injured, why was he eventually brought back on before tea when the horse had already bolted? Likewise, why didnít Root continue with Broad straight after lunch given the momentum built with the two wickets just prior to the break? No injury worries surrounding him.

The tactics are unfathomable. This is Brisbane where Englandís Ashes hopes have been dashed so often. Giving the second string bowlers thirteen overs after lunch looesened Englandís grip on the game and allowed Aus to take a small lead. This affected morale, eroded any optimism about going into the third innings still ahead and no doubt contributed to the fall of two wickets before the close.
Strange as Root's captaincy has been much praised in the media. Definitely had a bad day today. With Jimmy a commentator noticed that he grimaced when fielding a ball on the boundary so the signs not good.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 18:12   #107
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Strange as Root's captaincy has been much praised in the media. Definitely had a bad day today. With Jimmy a commentator noticed that he grimaced when fielding a ball on the boundary so the signs not good.
There was a suggestion it was related to being hit by the ball while batting.i remember he winced a bit at the time. But as usual the denials and changed stories from the England camp cause more worry.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 18:45   #108
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
There was a suggestion it was related to being hit by the ball while batting.i remember he winced a bit at the time. But as usual the denials and changed stories from the England camp cause more worry.
As long as they know what the situation is, I don't see the need to worry. Admitting one way or the other if Jimmy has a niggle publicly may be a tactical error.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 22:03   #109
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,679
First hour crucial tonight. Would be nice not to wake up to find the Aussies need a 100 to win.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 23:22   #110
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
If Anderson isnít injured, why did he bowl three overs with the new ball before lunch but not be brought on again straight after lunch, with a wicket each having been taken by him and Broad? There was mention of a niggle, he apparently took a pain killer and getting bruised while batting was mentioned. But he was running around on the field.

If he is injured, why was he eventually brought back on before tea when the horse had already bolted? Likewise, why didnít Root continue with Broad straight after lunch given the momentum built with the two wickets just prior to the break? No injury worries surrounding him.

The tactics are unfathomable. This is Brisbane where Englandís Ashes hopes have been dashed so often. Giving the second string bowlers thirteen overs after lunch looesened Englandís grip on the game and allowed Aus to take a small lead. This affected morale, eroded any optimism about going into the third innings still ahead and no doubt contributed to the fall of two wickets before the close.
Even if Jimmy did have a niggle I still don't understand why Broad didn't start after lunch from one end.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 23:54   #111
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,876
Jimmy took a blow whist batting. Def has some sort of injury. Apparently can bowl.

https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/934552277431414784
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 00:01   #112
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,876
ALso Root had concussion after being pinged by Starc.

But will bat.

Hmm.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 00:27   #113
mustardcharlie
Established International
 
mustardcharlie's Avatar
You know there ain't no devil: It's just God when he's drun
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedfordshire
Team(s): Yorkshire, England, LUFC, Otley RFC.
Age: 65
Posts: 4,697
The real problem is that Woakes, Ball and Mo have not impressed at all. There's a chance Eng could bat well and claim a draw here (Given some of the previous efforts at the Gabba that could be claimed as a minor triumph) or they will fail miserably and leave Oz an easy target. Don't see an England win though.
__________________
Answers 3d
Answers (requiring thought) 6d
Answers (correct) 1s
mustardcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 00:49   #114
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,913
Apropos of nothing in particular, I heard that this is the first time since 2003 that England have fielded a team in which all 11 players were born in England.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 01:33   #115
mustardcharlie
Established International
 
mustardcharlie's Avatar
You know there ain't no devil: It's just God when he's drun
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedfordshire
Team(s): Yorkshire, England, LUFC, Otley RFC.
Age: 65
Posts: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Apropos of nothing in particular, I heard that this is the first time since 2003 that England have fielded a team in which all 11 players were born in England.
Thought it was much earlier than that MF. I remember Hick's debut when there were only 7 of the team were born in England. OK Watkin was Welsh but hey!
__________________
Answers 3d
Answers (requiring thought) 6d
Answers (correct) 1s
mustardcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 01:41   #116
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
MRNC4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,501
Great game thus far. Advantage ebbing and flowing every session and still no idea what the result will be. Possibly Steve Smiths best innings. He really is like Border now, holding Australia together every other match.

Ball & Woakes haven't really looked the part. When Anderson and Broad aren't bowling England lack threat. Should have taken a gamble on Crane or played Plunkett.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 01:47   #117
mustardcharlie
Established International
 
mustardcharlie's Avatar
You know there ain't no devil: It's just God when he's drun
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedfordshire
Team(s): Yorkshire, England, LUFC, Otley RFC.
Age: 65
Posts: 4,697
Where are all the Aussie fans today?
__________________
Answers 3d
Answers (requiring thought) 6d
Answers (correct) 1s
mustardcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 01:59   #118
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
I'd agree - technically and as an all round performer with the bat. But Starc can be dangerous if he gets a sighter. Averages over 29 in Aus, with 4 fifties and a strike rate brisker than Warner's. If Smudger and Swampy get the hosts to within striking distance of England's total, I do fear Starc if he's given a licence.

Very enjoyable two days so far, even if I'm having to watch the action via BT Sport's inadequate on-line highlights package, augmented with scraps from YouTube.
Starc is dangerous but I think if I was the Aussies I'd switch him and Cummins in the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Moeen isn't fit is he? He wasn't going through is action properly. Sadly, with the absence of stokes, the only way England could line up without moeen would be to play four bowlers and we didn't pick a squad that allowed four bowlers because crane can't keep an end quiet.
Broad, Anderson and Woakes can all keep an end quiet. I think the next bowling spot in the absence of Stokes needs to be an attacking partnership breaking bowler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42122793

CricViz has the Aussies 61% likely to win the game with the England win only 22% likely. Realistically if England can get a lead of circa 250 it will at least be in the balance. Here's where the non converted 50s hurt England. That and Cook's continuing struggles. He needs to find at least some of the stickability he had v South Africa where he dug out a couple of fine efforts, not least the 88 at the Oval. The problem is that I wonder if he really isn't quite markedly on the downslope. The signs for me have been there over the last couple of years.
England aren't going to win this game without someone (ie Root) getting a hundred.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 01:59   #119
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardcharlie View Post
Where are all the Aussie fans today?
Church.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 02:13   #120
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,913
Could this be over today?
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org