Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2017, 01:29   #21
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,551
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Never expected Tom Blundell to ton up. Especially given he was batting with the hapless Trent Boult. Boult makes my batting look positively classical in comparison. Good on them both!
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:42   #22
Greatbatch
Established International
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 4,955
Pretty impressive from Blundell to score a hundred on debut, looks like he could be a keeper as keeper.

As for Boult, he isn't pretty with the bat but he can be effective, he's certainly a far better no.11 than Chris Martin.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:33   #23
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,494
Wagner being peak Wagner. Braithwaite doing his thing again thus allowing the others to follow in his footsteps.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 03:22   #24
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,551
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Decent win there for NZ. Expecting the next test to be somewhat closer.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 16:36   #25
aNarcHy2day
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 87
Any idea when the WICB will decide to call back Darren Bravo in the Test squad? I do genuinely believe just his inclusion will do wonders to the confidence of a very talented batting line up, IMO with his class and experience.
aNarcHy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 10:48   #26
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,551
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Noddy out for the 2nd Test due to poor over rates in the first and it being his second minor offence. Not sure who skippers in his absence, but it presumably makes it an easy call to bring Bishoo in. Weakens the tail significantly.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 05:30   #27
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,551
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
I do like it when Ross Taylor does well. There's been precious little representation from Maori/Pasifika communities in NZ cricket over the years, but with someone like Taylor doing well, hopefully some more representation from those groups will eventuate. That said, in the time I've been here, I'd say there has actually been a shrinkage in Maori/Pasifika players in club cricket, sadly.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 09:46   #28
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,551
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Cummins bowled bloody well today by the looks of things. Completely owned Santner, who's a long, long, long way short of being an international class #6.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 10:40   #29
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
I do like it when Ross Taylor does well. There's been precious little representation from Maori/Pasifika communities in NZ cricket over the years, but with someone like Taylor doing well, hopefully some more representation from those groups will eventuate. That said, in the time I've been here, I'd say there has actually been a shrinkage in Maori/Pasifika players in club cricket, sadly.
It must be tough competition for cricket against the lure of the rugby codes. Which is not what can be said about the efforts of the West Indies in this test. Caught a bit last night, enough to see about half a dozen abysmal misfields. How we lost to this shower I have no idea.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 21:53   #30
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,551
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
It must be tough competition for cricket against the lure of the rugby codes. Which is not what can be said about the efforts of the West Indies in this test. Caught a bit last night, enough to see about half a dozen abysmal misfields. How we lost to this shower I have no idea.
Their fielding was atrocious at times. Lackadaisical might be the word. The bowlers have worked well as a unit, though Gabriel has definitely had some rhythm problems, as evidenced by his surfeit of no-balls.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 22:06   #31
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Their fielding was atrocious at times. Lackadaisical might be the word. The bowlers have worked well as a unit, though Gabriel has definitely had some rhythm problems, as evidenced by his surfeit of no-balls.
Shannon Gabriel has played 84 fc matches, of which 31 were tests.

Woakes is a year younger and has played 131 fc matches of which 20 were tests.

So Woakes has played 111 non-test match fc matches, more than twice Gabriel's 53.

No surprise that Woakes has the better run-up (or Gabriel the more pace?).

Reckon Gabriel would have really benefited with a season or two in county cricket when he was younger. That's where county cricket works well: as a finishing school. The fortunes of the West Indies began to fall (with a timelag) when their young players stopped playing county cricket. They were replaced in the county game by Australians, who then suffered the same fall.

South Africa would be the team who'd benefit but they are all Kolpaks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 23:14   #32
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,169
Currently on Sky Sports Mix, channel 121.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 23:31   #33
square leg umpire
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Shannon Gabriel has played 84 fc matches, of which 31 were tests.

Woakes is a year younger and has played 131 fc matches of which 20 were tests.

So Woakes has played 111 non-test match fc matches, more than twice Gabriel's 53.

No surprise that Woakes has the better run-up (or Gabriel the more pace?).

Reckon Gabriel would have really benefited with a season or two in county cricket when he was younger. That's where county cricket works well: as a finishing school. The fortunes of the West Indies began to fall (with a timelag) when their young players stopped playing county cricket. They were replaced in the county game by Australians, who then suffered the same fall.

South Africa would be the team who'd benefit but they are all Kolpaks.
Don't think Australia needed it. The only Aussie star with a long run in county cricket is Warne, and that was after he finished with internationals.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 08:14   #34
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,551
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Fractured ****ing arm for Ambris. Can't say I, or any of the fielding team, found the idea of a fractured arm particularly funny.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 09:59   #35
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Don't think Australia needed it. The only Aussie star with a long run in county cricket is Warne, and that was after he finished with internationals.
In the late 90s early 00's they had a whole host of players who weren't quite in the test side. Mike Hussey played over here for years before getting in their test team and stayed in it for quite some time.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 10:31   #36
gmdf
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Their fielding was atrocious at times. Lackadaisical might be the word. The bowlers have worked well as a unit, though Gabriel has definitely had some rhythm problems, as evidenced by his surfeit of no-balls.
WI fielding, and general attitude in the field, was noticeably poor in their tour match vs. Kent earlier this year. So much so, in fact, that Jason Holder, who was not playing, came on as 12th Man and and in effect took control on the field to buck their attitudes up.
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 12:27   #37
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Don't think Australia needed it. The only Aussie star with a long run in county cricket is Warne, and that was after he finished with internationals.
Warne was an established international. It's more their batsmen who used it as their finishing school - Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Mike Hussey, Darren Lehmann, Simon Katich, Chris Rodgers, Andrew Symonds, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh etc.

Then there were those like Brad Hodge and Stuart Law who only briefly featured in the test side but whose County experiences helped drive up the standard of Shield cricket.

If the likes of Maddinson, Renshaw, Khawaja, Handscomb and Maxwell had had a season or two of county championship cricket behind them like previous generations had, then I suspect Australia would be the best side in the world.

But to get back on topic this West Indies side would be a different prospect if their raw talents like Gabriel, Hope, Chase etc had had the exposure to county cricket that Haynes, Greenidge, Richards, Marshall, Garner, Daniel, Walsh etc had.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 18:00   #38
Sir Coolerking
County 2nd Team
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N Hants
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
If the likes of Maddinson, Renshaw, Khawaja, Handscomb and Maxwell had had a season or two of county championship cricket behind them like previous generations had, then I suspect Australia would be the best side in the world.
Erm, Khawaja has played a season each for Derbyshire and Lancashire.......... Handscomb for Gloucs and Yorks........Maxwell briefly for Hants and Yorks!!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 18:32   #39
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Erm, Khawaja has played a season each for Derbyshire and Lancashire.......... Handscomb for Gloucs and Yorks........Maxwell briefly for Hants and Yorks!!
I don't think any of them have played a full season have they? They've flown in played a few matches and flown out again.

And Maxwell's basically just played T20 for them hasn't he?

It hardly compares to the number of fc matches played by the likes of Hayden and Hussey. It's about the grind of doing it day-in, day-out for six months.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 10:33   #40
Sir Coolerking
County 2nd Team
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N Hants
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I don't think any of them have played a full season have they? They've flown in played a few matches and flown out again.

And Maxwell's basically just played T20 for them hasn't he?

It hardly compares to the number of fc matches played by the likes of Hayden and Hussey. It's about the grind of doing it day-in, day-out for six months.
Khawaja has played 18 County Championship matches spread across 3 seasons. Bancroft has played 16 matches for Glos whilst Handscomb has played 15 CC for Glos/Yorks. It's a fair amount of experience they've gained.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:28.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org