Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2017, 20:08   #161
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Not ODIs, but interesting data with the Champions Trophy coming up in England:

Leic unsurprisingly couldn't defend 211 v Durham
Surrey are about to chase down 244 v Middlesex's Lions attack
Warwickshire should chase down 304 against Notts (but they are really crap so this could yet go wrong)
Northants are about to chase down 325 against Jimmy Anderson's Lancs
Sussex are about to chase down 332 against K*nt

Somerset defended 338 v Glamorgan
Worcestershire defended 342 v Yorks
I think generally since the domestic competition went to 50 overs a few years ago the counties have done an excellent job at replicating what is needed at international level. Some very impressive performances.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 20:14   #162
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,354
Notts defend their 3-0-3 against the Bears in the ends thanks to a pretty 51 off 61 by, yes, you guessed it... Ian Bell.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 20:44   #163
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 34
Posts: 18,509
All their top four added 200 runs at a SR less than a 100. Not gonna win you many 300+ chases. Trott's fault.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 18:51   #164
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,354
Oz chased down 317 against SL yesterday, Pakistan 341 v BD today while England and SA share 658 runs in the ODI. If the weather stays good it's going to be a high scoring tournament.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 18:54   #165
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Oz chased down 317 against SL yesterday, Pakistan 341 v BD today while England and SA share 658 runs in the ODI. If the weather stays good it's going to be a high scoring tournament.
Shame that Virgs ain't around any more.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 19:11   #166
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Shame that Virgs ain't around any more.
Yep, and he'd have two spinners to make the case for!
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 19:12   #167
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Oz chased down 317 against SL yesterday, Pakistan 341 v BD today while England and SA share 658 runs in the ODI. If the weather stays good it's going to be a high scoring tournament.
The other warm ups weren't ODIs: sides were allowed to play any batting XI from the 15 man squad so the batting line ups were abnormally deep. The England SA ODIs support the notion that par is a fair bit over 300 though, with SA having looked set very fair to chase 340 in the first game, albeit that they fell far short of 300 in the end and only just failing to get 331 in the second game.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 12:25   #168
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Yep, and he'd have two spinners to make the case for!
The Leach up the top of the bowling averages is surely Worcestershire's Joe, not Somerset's Adam Riley.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:53   #169
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,315
So 310 chased down with 5 overs to spare
481 defended with ease
342 defended by bowling opposition out for 304 with 4 overs remaining after a late collapse
214 not defended
371 defended but only by 6 runs

The par score on a good pitch may have crept up a bit, but I'm not sure how good an indicator this will be for the Champions Trophy if the ICC opt for used pitches again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 09:15   #170
Corbo 61
Posting God
 
Corbo 61's Avatar
Good luck DOH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Doing something more useful
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 14,844
We're going to peak too early.
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 14:37   #171
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,315
This match should be a good test of a modern par score.

England should be looking for 330 but will that make England or India favourites?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 22:37   #172
aNarcHy2day
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
He's poor at T20 whether it's international or domestic (not that he plays much of either).

Nope no more than decent, he shouldn't even be a shoe in for the Australia side (obviously I'm talking about pre sandpaper) although with their lack of ODI batsman it never really became a talking point, a S/R of low eighties really isn't good enough these days unless you're home grounds are particularly friendly to bowlers.

I think he was the best test batsman before he hit the ejector button though.
As I said, Smith's numbers are skewed downwards because of his stint as a bowling allrounder the first few years.

If we take his record from 2014 to 2017 into account, he has averages of 49.18, 53.67, 50.17 and 44.90 year on year in that period. No more than decent, huh?
Also, the aggregate of those 4 years:-
M:-70 Runs:- 2949 HS: 164 Average: 49.98 Strike Rate- 87.06 Centuries- 8 Fifties- 19

That put him at 11th of the highest run getters in that window. You say decent, I say top tier. Only, I back that with actual facts.
aNarcHy2day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 22:43   #173
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Who was the last one-day captain who was any good before Morgan - Adam Hollioake? Colly was ok.

Gooch was probably the last test captain to be a decent enough one-day player and one-day captain.
Isn’t colly the only example? We actually won something! Morgan should not be in the side. He is a passenger and the fact that one of hales, Roy or Bairstow miss out to include captain fantastic with his average about 25 in the last year is poor. More to do with the coach imho.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 23:32   #174
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
As I said, Smith's numbers are skewed downwards because of his stint as a bowling allrounder the first few years.

If we take his record from 2014 to 2017 into account, he has averages of 49.18, 53.67, 50.17 and 44.90 year on year in that period. No more than decent, huh?
Also, the aggregate of those 4 years:-
M:-70 Runs:- 2949 HS: 164 Average: 49.98 Strike Rate- 87.06 Centuries- 8 Fifties- 19

That put him at 11th of the highest run getters in that window. You say decent, I say top tier. Only, I back that with actual facts.
I said he was decent and I meant that at an international level, top tier would to me be in the top 5 or 6 batsman going around I don't think he'd make my top 10 certainly not just before getting banned as his ODI game seemed to be going backwards.

He struggles to score quickly enough to be considered top tier in ODI cricket in my opinion.

Last edited by AJ101 : 24th August 2018 at 23:43.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 02:42   #175
aNarcHy2day
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
I said he was decent and I meant that at an international level, top tier would to me be in the top 5 or 6 batsman going around I don't think he'd make my top 10 certainly not just before getting banned as his ODI game seemed to be going backwards.

He struggles to score quickly enough to be considered top tier in ODI cricket in my opinion.
I know it's your opinion but here's how opinions work- and I've used this example before- if, in your opinion the Sun rises in the West, that doesn't actually mean anything, you understand that right? What I mean to say is you back that up with cold hard FACTS.

So, to clarify, what do you consider to be the strike rate of a Top Tier batsman in ODI cricket?
aNarcHy2day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 11:16   #176
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
I know it's your opinion but here's how opinions work- and I've used this example before- if, in your opinion the Sun rises in the West, that doesn't actually mean anything, you understand that right? What I mean to say is you back that up with cold hard FACTS.

So, to clarify, what do you consider to be the strike rate of a Top Tier batsman in ODI cricket?
If you really believe Smith is a world class / top tier one day batsman then enjoy the sun rising in the west.

S/R of Aussies since 2014
Maxwell 118.43
Warner 103.81
Finch 94.17
Smith 86.3
Head 91.35
M Marsh 93.91
Stoinis 101.1
Wade 94.19
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 12:25   #177
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
If you really believe Smith is a world class / top tier one day batsman then enjoy the sun rising in the west.

S/R of Aussies since 2014
Maxwell 118.43
Warner 103.81
Finch 94.17
Smith 86.3
Head 91.35
M Marsh 93.91
Stoinis 101.1
Wade 94.19
Wasn't Trott slammed on the boards for having a strike rate in the early 90's
square leg umpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 12:35   #178
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Wasn't Trott slammed on the boards for having a strike rate in the early 90's
I wasn't on these boards back then but did Trott ever have a strike rate in the early 90's over any period of matches?! His career S/R was much lower (77 from looking), back then a S/R in the early 90's would have made him among the best ODI batsman in the world (if he'd have managed to keep his average at 50ish).

Root gets slammed a decent amount for his S/R of around 90 though.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 13:19   #179
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
I wasn't on these boards back then but did Trott ever have a strike rate in the early 90's over any period of matches?! His career S/R was much lower (77 from looking), back then a S/R in the early 90's would have made him among the best ODI batsman in the world (if he'd have managed to keep his average at 50ish).

Root gets slammed a decent amount for his S/R of around 90 though.
Yes that's right, also that Trott batted at pretty much the same rate throughout the innings and couldn't accelerate. He only hit 3 sixes in 65 innings.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:55   #180
aNarcHy2day
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
If you really believe Smith is a world class / top tier one day batsman then enjoy the sun rising in the west.

S/R of Aussies since 2014
Maxwell 118.43
Warner 103.81
Finch 94.17
Smith 86.3
Head 91.35
M Marsh 93.91
Stoinis 101.1
Wade 94.19
Averages of said batsmen since 2014
Maxwell 32.11
Warner 51.77
Finch 40.09
Smith 47.67
Head 37.00
M Marsh 37.54
Stoinis 45.84
Wade 29.68

So, Finch just about gets to an an average of 40. The rest aren't even close. So, which of them (apart from Warner) do you consider top tier batting talent?

Also, you never answered what your threshold for good strike rates was.
aNarcHy2day is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:47.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org