Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2018, 13:24   #161
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,278
What a shambles. Time to dump Cook and Jennings and let Root, Bairstow and Stokes return to their best positions. All we need to do is find a top 3. LOLZ.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:36   #162
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
What a shambles. Time to dump Cook and Jennings and let Root, Bairstow and Stokes return to their best positions. All we need to do is find a top 3. LOLZ.
Just play with eight batsmen
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:39   #163
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I want to choose competitions - test, CC Div 1, CC Div 2, ODIs, T20Is...

I dont want to have to wade past Jersey v Bermuda, Sti Lanka A v India A etc to find division 2
I was starting from the Live Scores Page. Without adding favourites they start with test matches and work down the competitions. But add favourites as I mentioned and the current matches will be shown in your chosen order and Bermuda etc will be further down. Have you had a go? Or on the main Cricinfo site you can look at competitions, I think.

I do agree with most people that with each successive upgrade Cricinfo gets worse and worse.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:44   #164
Nandos
World Class
 
Nandos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Team(s): Surrey, Arsenal
Age: 30
Posts: 6,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
To be replaced by who? List of names, please.

No point replacing players with inferior ones.

No-one banging down the door for selection in domestic cricket. The ones who remotely are/were are Pope, who has been given a go, Vince, whose selection gets slated on here, Mo, who is back here, Bell, who the selectors seem reluctant to go back to, and Burns, who must be set to be given a go at The Oval, his home ground.

From the long list of openers tried in recent years none are remotely showing the sort of form for a recall.
Burns, Vince, Hildreth, Root, YJB, Stokes, Buttler +4
__________________
Nandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:53   #165
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,203
Will we get to 100?
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:54   #166
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,324
Remember those heady days when we could make 161....
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:57   #167
Corbo 61
Posting God
 
Corbo 61's Avatar
Good luck DOH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Doing something more useful
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 14,844
Backs to the wall just after lunch on day 1. Annoying.
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:59   #168
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo 61 View Post
Cannot recall such a long run of top 4 failing. We've had worse sides but usually someone in top 4 comes good.
Usually Root comes good and masks the serial failures of the other top 4.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 13:59   #169
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I want to choose competitions - test, CC Div 1, CC Div 2, ODIs, T20Is...

I dont want to have to wade past Jersey v Bermuda, Sti Lanka A v India A etc to find division 2
You can do this with the ECB app - you can tailor scores to be by competition, team(s) or any combination you like.

I barely bother with Cricinfo except for looking at player profiles, for which, as far as I know, it is unmatched for seeing recent performances. BBC and ECB are cleaner and easier to use.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:00   #170
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,366
I have only intermittently been looking up the score. What a shambles. The batting is broken with Root not even scoring plf's now.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:03   #171
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,203
Leeds United have had football managers last longer than our top 4.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:14   #172
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Unless England are playing Glamorgan every week, I doubt Bell would have anything more to offer than the current timewasters.
This is simplistic nonsense. Bell had a poor couple of years since being dropped by England, finding it difficult to readjust to being a county cricketer. Warwickshire caused more confusion by offering him the captaincy when he still had hopes of an England recall. County captaincy is best undertaken by players totally committed to their counties, eg Trescothick and Collingwood. Relinquishing the captaincy last season, Bell took a whole winter away from cricket to clear his mind. He started batting in spring and was like a new man, scoring hundreds in uni matches, CC2 matches, Series A and t20. Hes second highest scorer in first class cricket with 810 @ 57.85.

As I type hes just brought up his century v Glam - third v Glam, 4th of the season, 56th in career. And a couple of overs later he hit a single to bring up his 20,000th first class run.

His form this season has nothing to do with second division cricket. This is a player with nearly 8000 test runs, 22 test centuries and 118 test matches on his CV. Hes not a mundane 2nd division batsman pinching easy runs off mediocre bowlers. Something went wrong with his cricket with England three years ago and now hes bouncing back and showing us what we always knew he had.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:19   #173
JS180
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 190
Are we sh1t or have we just come up against an Indian side which is playing the best cricket away from home in a long long time, no team could handle them when they're in this form?

I said it once and i'll say it again our guys need to spend a season playing four day county cricket abroad in Saffers or Aus and maybe India as well (although i'd understand if the latter is a step too far).
JS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:22   #174
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS180 View Post
Are we sh1t or have we just come up against an Indian side which is playing the best cricket away from home in a long long time, no team could handle them when they're in this form?
1. We are sh1t.
2. This is an Indian side playing their best cricket away from home in a long long time.

It’s a lose, lose situation for England.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:22   #175
Corbo 61
Posting God
 
Corbo 61's Avatar
Good luck DOH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Doing something more useful
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 14,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS180 View Post
Are we sh1t or have we just come up against an Indian side which is playing the best cricket away from home in a long long time, no team could handle them when they're in this form?
Bit of both. Top order is lightweight.
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:24   #176
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
This is simplistic nonsense. Bell had a poor couple of years since being dropped by England, finding it difficult to readjust to being a county cricketer. Warwickshire caused more confusion by offering him the captaincy when he still had hopes of an England recall. County captaincy is best undertaken by players totally committed to their counties, eg Trescothick and Collingwood. Relinquishing the captaincy last season, Bell took a whole winter away from cricket to clear his mind. He started batting in spring and was like a new man, scoring hundreds in uni matches, CC2 matches, Series A and t20. Hes second highest scorer in first class cricket with 810 @ 57.85.

As I type hes just brought up his century v Glam - third v Glam, 4th of the season, 56th in career. And a couple of overs later he hit a single to bring up his 20,000th first class run.

His form this season has nothing to do with second division cricket. This is a player with nearly 8000 test runs, 22 test centuries and 118 test matches on his CV. Hes not a mundane 2nd division batsman pinching easy runs off mediocre bowlers. Something went wrong with his cricket with England three years ago and now hes bouncing back and showing us what we always knew he had.
Bell apparently averages 34 or so against teams that aren't Glammy. Just come up on Lawrence Booth's timeline....
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:27   #177
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Apparently the worst performance by England top 4 since 1934 or so, as per Cricinfo.

This is definitely a wonderful Indian bowling attack, and they have played their part in making this England batting look ordinary at times. We have 3 medium pacers who are offering control as well as a wicket-taking threat with the fourth seamer getting better as well. Ashwin also came up with some vital breakthroughs, which doesn't always happen from Indian spinners in overseas conditions.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:28   #178
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,491
Bell always was good against Bangladesh too.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:35   #179
JS180
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 190
With India playing this well away, I don't think even the Aussies would beat them in a 5 match series even on their fast bouncy tracks. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you came up against unbeatable opposition, they're going through a golden spell where they may dominate test cricket for years to come. Aussies had their time at the top, then Saffers, then us and now it's India's turn.

I was going to purchase Ashes tkts but what's the point now, may as well just go to the T20 and ODI games.
JS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:37   #180
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Apparently the worst performance by England top 4 since 1934 or so, as per Cricinfo.

This is definitely a wonderful Indian bowling attack, and they have played their part in making this England batting look ordinary at times. We have 3 medium pacers who are offering control as well as a wicket-taking threat with the fourth seamer getting better as well. Ashwin also came up with some vital breakthroughs, which doesn't always happen from Indian spinners in overseas conditions.
This is a very ordinary England batting line up, they don't need a lot of help to make us look ordinary
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:24.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org