Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2018, 12:15   #21
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
And yet they're doing surprisingly well against Pakistan A. Bowled them out for 278 with Lyon taking 8, now 291-2 with both the Marsh brothers on the verge of tons. Mind you, everything does seem to be happening in slow motion - can they kick on after lunch and set up a big lead to win it?
I heard that the opposition don't even include spin bowlers, therefore trying to undermine the Aussies by not giving them proper warm-ups.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 12:17   #22
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I heard that the opposition don't even include spin bowlers, therefore trying to undermine the Aussies by not giving them proper warm-ups.
Asad Shafiq, with all of 5 wickets from his first class career @61 is their nominal 'spin' bowler having bowled 24 overs this innings. I would normally say it is against the spirit of the game, but then they're playing Australia so i'm fine with it.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 12:34   #23
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I heard that the opposition don't even include spin bowlers, therefore trying to undermine the Aussies by not giving them proper warm-ups.
That's taking warm up politics to a whole new level - I like it!!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 14:22   #24
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 839
they reap what they sow
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:43   #25
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,960
Go Pakistan. Hammer them into the dirt.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:57   #26
thedon
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
I would normally say it is against the spirit of the game, but then they're playing Australia so i'm fine with it.
Lol.

I don't really hold it against the boys. Not their fault that they're not very good. Not the selectors fault either. Sure there are some that should have been selected but it wouldn't matter, still mid '80's all over again.
__________________
carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
thedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:27   #27
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,648
I had quite a large bet on Pakistan at just odds on (1.97) a few days ago and felt I had to top it up at 2.1. The price keeps rising, presumably on the back of the warm up game but this just looks a terrible Aussie side, as people have said. I look at the squad and basically stop at Lyon and Starc as players I'd largely expect to do well in UAE. You can't be too confident that Pakistan will play consistently good cricket but this should be an easy win, really.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:08   #28
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
I had quite a large bet on Pakistan at just odds on (1.97) a few days ago and felt I had to top it up at 2.1. The price keeps rising, presumably on the back of the warm up game but this just looks a terrible Aussie side, as people have said. I look at the squad and basically stop at Lyon and Starc as players I'd largely expect to do well in UAE. You can't be too confident that Pakistan will play consistently good cricket but this should be an easy win, really.
This might be the weakest Pakistani side to contest a series in the desert though. They were hardly impressive in the Asia Cup and while I appreciate that is a different format, it might suggest their side is going through one of their perennial lows. In time to win the WC next year, no doubt.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:12   #29
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
This might be the weakest Pakistani side to contest a series in the desert though. They were hardly impressive in the Asia Cup and while I appreciate that is a different format, it might suggest their side is going through one of their perennial lows. In time to win the WC next year, no doubt.
It's not an amazing Pakistan side either, no. It looks a lot better than the Aussie side though, for a UAE series anyway.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:15   #30
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
I had quite a large bet on Pakistan at just odds on (1.97) a few days ago and felt I had to top it up at 2.1. The price keeps rising, presumably on the back of the warm up game but this just looks a terrible Aussie side, as people have said. I look at the squad and basically stop at Lyon and Starc as players I'd largely expect to do well in UAE. You can't be too confident that Pakistan will play consistently good cricket but this should be an easy win, really.
Their English opening bat Renshaw may go well. He was scoring runs in county cricket when nobody else could earlier this season.

What's the Pakistan squad for this?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:02   #31
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Their English opening bat Renshaw may go well. He was scoring runs in county cricket when nobody else could earlier this season.

What's the Pakistan squad for this?
Hard to know what the team will be, there's quite a few uncapped players. It could look something like this:

Azhar Ali
Fakhar Zarman
Imam ul Haq
Haris Sohail
Asad Shafiq
Faheem Ashraf
Mohammed Hafeez
Sarfraz Ahmed
Yasir Shah
Wahib Riaz
Mohammad Abbas

Rest of the squad includes Babar Azam, Usman Salahuddin, Mohammad Rizwan, Shadab Khan, Bilal Asif, Hasan Ali and Mir Hamza.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:17   #32
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,960
Australia's best hope in this series is Pakistan doing something very Pakistani. They were god awful even with Starc & Lyon last time in the UAE, and that's when they had proper batsman as well.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:16   #33
aNarcHy2day
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
Hard to know what the team will be, there's quite a few uncapped players. It could look something like this:

Azhar Ali
Fakhar Zarman
Imam ul Haq
Haris Sohail
Asad Shafiq
Faheem Ashraf
Mohammed Hafeez
Sarfraz Ahmed
Yasir Shah
Wahib Riaz
Mohammad Abbas

Rest of the squad includes Babar Azam, Usman Salahuddin, Mohammad Rizwan, Shadab Khan, Bilal Asif, Hasan Ali and Mir Hamza.
Azhar
Imam
Haris
Asad
Babar
Sarfraz
Shadab
Hasan Ali
Yasir
Mir Hamza?
Abbas


pro'lly this?
aNarcHy2day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:53   #34
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Australia's best hope in this series is Pakistan doing something very Pakistani. They were god awful even with Starc & Lyon last time in the UAE, and that's when they had proper batsman as well.
Got obliterated didnít they? Was a better Pakistan side too, to be fair.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 01:32   #35
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,720
Both sides look far weaker than last time. Will be an interesting series seeing which players emerge from both sides.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 13:37   #36
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,074
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...g-long-innings

Welcome to the Justin Langer era. Where hundreds weigh heavily in selection and batting for long periods is an expected minimum.

Australian captain Tim Paine revealed ahead of the tour that Langer had told his batsmen to leave "their egos at home and be prepared to bat for a long, long time".

Good to hear.

I wouldn't want a captain/coach who has these kind of ideas.....
Root - 'If it means opening batters bat in a more one-day fashion long term I donít think that is a bad thing for the game,Ē he said. ďIt makes for exciting viewing'.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 18:04   #37
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...g-long-innings

Welcome to the Justin Langer era. Where hundreds weigh heavily in selection and batting for long periods is an expected minimum.

Australian captain Tim Paine revealed ahead of the tour that Langer had told his batsmen to leave "their egos at home and be prepared to bat for a long, long time".

Good to hear.

I wouldn't want a captain/coach who has these kind of ideas.....
Root - 'If it means opening batters bat in a more one-day fashion long term I donít think that is a bad thing for the game,Ē he said. ďIt makes for exciting viewing'.
I have an inkling which approach will prove more successful in test cricket..
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 13:35   #38
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,960
Fun fact. Not a single batsman on the Australia team has scored a test century in Asia other than Shaun Marsh, and the only selectable batsman to have scored one in the last two years (Maxwell) wasn't selected in the squad. What an absolute rinsing this is going to be.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 15:58   #39
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Fun fact. Not a single batsman on the Australia team has scored a test century in Asia other than Shaun Marsh, and the only selectable batsman to have scored one in the last two years (Maxwell) wasn't selected in the squad. What an absolute rinsing this is going to be.
Yeah, puts the Langer quotes in perspective, especially not selecting Maxwell. Itís not that surprising that there arenít many centuries in the team though, given how little test cricket most have played. Thatís not a strength though, is it?
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 16:51   #40
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,960
Langer is a clueless flog who comes from the same school of thought as Lehmann where if you're out of form 'whack it', if you're getting smacked 'bowl yorkers' and where the biggest error you can make as an australian player is refusing to down a few beers after a days play because there is nothing alcohol can't solve. Nothing will change under Langer, he of the old school vintage, brain cells deeply influenced by concussion and booze, we will lose every test series at home and abroad, get humiliated in the world cup, thrashed in the ashes and then, at that point there might be true change, where yes men aren't first in line and mates of mates don't get favours because hell hath no fury like the Australian public, television rights and media when their cricket team is not only boorish, unlikeable, but utterly boring a shitehouse. Go Pakistan.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:50.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org