Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:32   #4841
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
That'll be a 'Regus Office Space Drinks Break'. That's all I remember from the last time Talksport had it, Regus Regus Regus (and Jack Bannister I think).

And yeah, good to see Talksport addressing Diversity head on.
Their football commentary already has live sponsored betting updates during the play. The adverts will simply be inserted into the commentary flow rather than stopping.

Looks like they are simply sharing commentary resources with Sky ..

All male line up "explained"


Darren Gough
@DGoughie
Replying to @BulletRobinson @sitheblue and 18 others
Mate there’s a women’s World Cup on at the same time which is pretty big ! All the good ones are doing that ��and rightly so.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:39   #4842
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,848
This is as well as TMS, right?
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:31   #4843
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
This is as well as TMS, right?
Instead of - the Lankan cricket authorities have sold exclusive rights to Talkspurt.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:58   #4844
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 9,316
Good for them, apart from having the adverts, of course.

It seems to be quite a good commentary team with all, apart from the anchor man, having played the game at the top level (I think).
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:14   #4845
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
That'll be a 'Regus Office Space Drinks Break'. That's all I remember from the last time Talksport had it, Regus Regus Regus (and Jack Bannister I think).

And yeah, good to see Talksport addressing Diversity head on.
Yeah, long while back but the Regus thing looms large in my memory of the last time they had any live cricket too. Was probably the SA tour in 2004/5 or some such.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:58   #4846
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,959
Ex players generally aren't all that great at doing the commentary job on radio i.e. telling you what's going on but more suited to summarising. That line up doesn't look too promising from that point of view.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:27   #4847
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,092
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...mpression=true

“The majority of Test Match Special names will be in the UK,” a BBC spokeswoman confirmed. A statement added: “We will be building on our ever-popular online coverage, with the stars of Test Match Special presenting an interactive cricket show. The Cricket Social will broadcast on the BBC Sport website and app… this will complement the regular live text service and allow the audience to get directly involved in the coverage. The day’s action will then be rounded up in our definitive TMS podcast with Jonathan Agnew and Michael Vaughan.”
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 13:36   #4848
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 156 Wagner 152 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,224
Can't get talksport 2 on DAB. Will be strange to have only SKY commentary this winter.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 13:57   #4849
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Can't get talksport 2 on DAB. Will be strange to have only SKY commentary this winter.
If you download the app onto your phone you can get it.

So does this mean you can't listen to it in the car?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 14:08   #4850
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 156 Wagner 152 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
If you download the app onto your phone you can get it.

So does this mean you can't listen to it in the car?
I don't have a phone.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 11:01   #4851
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 875
It has been a pleasure to listen to Talksport 1 who are trumpeting their cricket coverage at every opportunity. Promoting it in a positive manner as though it matters, IMO a stark contrast to how the BBC treat the game.
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:59   #4852
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,905
I heard fifteen minute of Gareth batty this morning. I am not having him. His voice is a horrible whine.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 15:15   #4853
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandfat View Post
It has been a pleasure to listen to Talksport 1 who are trumpeting their cricket coverage at every opportunity. Promoting it in a positive manner as though it matters, IMO a stark contrast to how the BBC treat the game.
Horrible commentary all series from Talksport - like listening to a football game - there is a microsecond of silence between each utterance = frenetic, aggressive, unending and exhausting. I wondered if anyone of their commentators had actually watched cricket before. Mark Nicholas perhaps got pass marks - the rest were a bunch of gibbering plonkers - including Gough.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 13:22   #4854
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,043
The most alarming thing about the match today, was not Australia's diabolical performance, rather that Isa Guha clearly possesses more knowledge of Australian domestic cricket than the collection of Spuds she had assembled around her (Warne, Mwaugh, G. Smith etc.) Like, Mark Waugh can't even pronounce half the names of players he's commentating on.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 14:32   #4855
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
The most alarming thing about the match today, was not Australia's diabolical performance, rather that Isa Guha clearly possesses more knowledge of Australian domestic cricket than the collection of Spuds she had assembled around her (Warne, Mwaugh, G. Smith etc.) Like, Mark Waugh can't even pronounce half the names of players he's commentating on.
Well, it's usually the way that women commentators have to try and demonstrate complete knowledge of their sport or risk the wrath of twitter, while lazy men resting on past laurels from their playing days can talk drivel for years.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 11:13   #4856
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 9,316
No matter how hard they try, that "complete" knowledge will never contain the experience of playing at the level of all the cricket they commentate on.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 11:29   #4857
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
No matter how hard they try, that "complete" knowledge will never contain the experience of playing at the level of all the cricket they commentate on.
Brian Johnstone, John Arlott, Henry Blofeld, Jim Maxwell, Tony Cozier etc all had significantly less 'experience' than the likes of Isa Guha, Ebony Rainford-Brent and Mel Jones. The ability to present 'knowledge' as a broadcaster is far more important than to have actually experienced it.

Those 3 ladies are excellent broadcasters who are very comfortable either in front of the camera or behind the mic, far more so than most of the 'experienced' ex players who walk into jobs just because they used to play.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 11:30   #4858
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Horrible commentary all series from Talksport - like listening to a football game - there is a microsecond of silence between each utterance = frenetic, aggressive, unending and exhausting. I wondered if anyone of their commentators had actually watched cricket before. Mark Nicholas perhaps got pass marks - the rest were a bunch of gibbering plonkers - including Gough.
Not sure why this was a response to me?
The point remains Talksport are throwing themselves into it and furiously promoting their coverage, the BBC simply take it for granted. Yes TMS is good and the CC coverage on local radio/internet is brilliant - but it is largely ignored on the whole network.
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 11:50   #4859
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Well, it's usually the way that women commentators have to try and demonstrate complete knowledge of their sport or risk the wrath of twitter, while lazy men resting on past laurels from their playing days can talk drivel for years.
Guha is obviously a Cricket tragic, Mwaugh just does it as a job because he's a moron with no other skills. She streams Shield matches in England, out of pure interest in the game, whereas the only time Mark could give a rats toss bag about a Shield game is when CA flew him there in his role as selector so he at least looks the part occasionally.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 12:33   #4860
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Guha is obviously a Cricket tragic, Mwaugh just does it as a job because he's a moron with no other skills. She streams Shield matches in England, out of pure interest in the game, whereas the only time Mark could give a rats toss bag about a Shield game is when CA flew him there in his role as selector so he at least looks the part occasionally.
That's an outrageous slur on Afghan, who I'm sure cares deeply about Shield Games whenever he and Warnie bet on them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:24.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org