Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2018, 13:47   #161
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
From what I saw he was ok, he puts a lot of side spin on so in a fourth innings I think he'd be a handful. More MacGill than Warne in style. Still think it is way too early for him to be playing Tests though.
Disagree - I think he has the mentality such that playing in this test will benefit him in the long term.

Whether he will ever make it ? Well same as any other player 1.2 innings into their first test - its too early to say. We will have more information than we did before.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 14:09   #162
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
How did Crane get on?
To be fair, like all the other England bowlers he was buggered before he started because the batsmen couldn't put up a decent total. Having said that, though, he manifestly failed to win the game for his team today and so I think we can conclude that the strategy of going into this test with two spinners was an utter failure, and that it's Crane's fault because at least Moeen scored 30 whereas Crane only got 4.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 14:10   #163
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
the thing is, he'll probably make piles of runs because county cricket is so poor. Didn't James Vince come out Division 1? And he has a test batting average lower than Mitchell Starc. Think about that.
So, you've seen loads of county cricket to be well qualified to comment I assume?

Gotta laugh, Bancroft wasn't even good in County Cricket Division 2 for Gloucestershire last summer. And if you'd done your research or even bothered to read what some of us write you'd know that Vince isn't highly rated by any of us, his record in County Cricket is average.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 14:37   #164
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Disagree - I think he has the mentality such that playing in this test will benefit him in the long term.

Whether he will ever make it ? Well same as any other player 1.2 innings into their first test - its too early to say. We will have more information than we did before.
He doesn’t look like he’ll be fazed by it. Not bothered by the boos, either, and all told he seemed to bowl pretty well. Compared to the first innings of our last two leg spinners in tests it was world class! County championship just doesn’t seem to develop young players well any more, it could well be that the best chance for Crane to develop as is hoped would be as England’s first spinner a la Nathan Lyon. Probably less competition for the role of England’s premier spinner than Hampshire’s...
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 15:02   #165
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
He doesn’t look like he’ll be fazed by it. Not bothered by the boos, either, and all told he seemed to bowl pretty well. Compared to the first innings of our last two leg spinners in tests it was world class! County championship just doesn’t seem to develop young players well any more, it could well be that the best chance for Crane to develop as is hoped would be as England’s first spinner a la Nathan Lyon. Probably less competition for the role of England’s premier spinner than Hampshire’s...
Also he is 20 - he could play in another 8 Ashes series....
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 16:03   #166
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Also he is 20 - he could play in another 8 Ashes series....
Wow. Just wow. Is this on the basis of 17-0-58-0?
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 17:26   #167
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Wow. Just wow. Is this on the basis of 17-0-58-0?
I can always judge a player's future prospects based upon their first 1.2 innings, can't you?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 17:30   #168
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyguntheballs View Post
I think the series in India solidified Smith as the best test batsman, but overall, he lags behind his 3 top contemporaries.
Well, 'best batsman' and 'most effective run machine' are not necessarily the same thing. As The Don once said "There have been lots of better batsmen than me....but they kept getting out".
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 19:07   #169
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Well, 'best batsman' and 'most effective run machine' are not necessarily the same thing. As The Don once said "There have been lots of better batsmen than me....but they kept getting out".
Yep. I’d say Root and AB are technically the best going, across different types of wickets, bowlers, conditions etc. Strangely both could be similarly criticised for not making the most of their starts. No doubt that currently Smith and Kohli are the most run hungry once in.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 19:47   #170
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,918
Mark Waugh was at least twice as naturally talented as his brother but averaged 10 runs less with 12 fewer test centuries than Steve.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 20:55   #171
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Mark Waugh was at least twice as naturally talented as his brother but averaged 10 runs less with 12 fewer test centuries than Steve.
Yup, its talent + application, innit?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 23:28   #172
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,310
from what I saw on the highlights England were a bit unlucky with the ball, catches not quite carrying and Bairstow and Crane getting in each others way. Though it seems playing Australia with Smith it's like the 1930's when the Aussies had The Don. A batsman you just couldn't get out.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 23:48   #173
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Yup, its talent + application, innit?
Exactly. I'd say 'technical' has about the less amount to do with it. Unorthodoxy should be encouraged in a batsmans technique.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 23:52   #174
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Though it seems playing Australia with Smith it's like the 1930's when the Aussies had The Don. A batsman you just couldn't get out.
Although, during The Don's pre-war career, England still managed to win as many Tests as Australia.

(That all changed drastically after the war, mind).

The stat I find amazing is Bradman's average of 103 in England, better than his mark at home. Now, there's a target for Smith.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 00:00   #175
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,918
Good to see Koala make some runs. For all his failings as a batsman, he is one of the best players of pace in the country, and one of the few who average over 40 in test cricket. We can't go over to South Africa scratching around for a new opener AND no.3 so at least that headache is avoided.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 00:01   #176
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,383
Bit early for the declaration bowling ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 00:05   #177
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Exactly. I'd say 'technical' has about the less amount to do with it. Unorthodoxy should be encouraged in a batsmans technique.
Well technical in its broadest sense, ie ability, rather than text book forward defensives etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Good to see Koala make some runs. For all his failings as a batsman, he is one of the best players of pace in the country, and one of the few who average over 40 in test cricket. We can't go over to South Africa scratching around for a new opener AND no.3 so at least that headache is avoided.
Might well **** off your one fellow countryman on her
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 00:08   #178
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Well technical in its broadest sense, ie ability, rather than text book forward defensives etc

Might well **** off your one fellow countryman on her
He's probably fuming, ranting away on right-wing facebook groups, especially since he didn't kiss his helmet. Neither did Border, who must have been an anti-western communist.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 00:13   #179
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,383
Actually he did kiss his helmet badge.

What the name of holy hell are England up to ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 00:18   #180
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Actually he did kiss his helmet badge.

What the name of holy hell are England up to ?

waiting for the new ball? oh he did. i guess he doesn't hate australia then?
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:21.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org