Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2018, 10:32   #101
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,643
So England can still qualify for the final (unlikely).

My quick maths on the table suggests that if we scored 200 we'd need to keep the Kiwis to under 181 to qualify. If chasing 200 we'd need to do it inside 18 overs. So looks like a 10% victory roughly on that kind of score.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 11:03   #102
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
So England can still qualify for the final (unlikely).

My quick maths on the table suggests that if we scored 200 we'd need to keep the Kiwis to under 181 to qualify. If chasing 200 we'd need to do it inside 18 overs. So looks like a 10% victory roughly on that kind of score.
Good chase by Oz.

England need NZ to implode I guess.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 15:01   #103
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
So England can still qualify for the final (unlikely).

My quick maths on the table suggests that if we scored 200 we'd need to keep the Kiwis to under 181 to qualify. If chasing 200 we'd need to do it inside 18 overs. So looks like a 10% victory roughly on that kind of score.
It certainly favours both sides to be bowling first. 10% sounds about right.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 14:26   #104
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,052
TMS have just tweeted that the game tomorrow will start at 6am and finish at 9.15am. So with a 15 min break that's 3 hours for a 40 over game. Effectively 13.33 overs per hour. How come this shoddy over rate has become accepted in T20 cricket, supposedly the format for people with not much time to watch cricket? Pundits bemoan slow over rates in test matches but is appears to be becoming the norm in T20 and not a comment is made!
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 16:05   #105
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
TMS have just tweeted that the game tomorrow will start at 6am and finish at 9.15am. So with a 15 min break that's 3 hours for a 40 over game. Effectively 13.33 overs per hour. How come this shoddy over rate has become accepted in T20 cricket, supposedly the format for people with not much time to watch cricket? Pundits bemoan slow over rates in test matches but is appears to be becoming the norm in T20 and not a comment is made!
isn't 3 hours normal for T20 cricket? though yesterdays went on for nearly 4.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 16:12   #106
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
isn't 3 hours normal for T20 cricket? though yesterdays went on for nearly 4.
Possibly. But why is it normal? Games lasted 2 and a half hours (with a 15 min break) when the format began. Now they need half an hour more and 5 mins more break. (Cos playing 20 overs is so strenuous) T20's supposed to be the format for a society that is time poor. At the moment it operates at about the same pace as a test match.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 18:44   #107
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
Cricket has a natural tendency to slow down. At one tine they got in 120 overs a day in test matches now they struggle to bowl 90. Given a set number of overs the time has to expand.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 19:04   #108
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
TMS have just tweeted that the game tomorrow will start at 6am and finish at 9.15am. So with a 15 min break that's 3 hours for a 40 over game. Effectively 13.33 overs per hour. How come this shoddy over rate has become accepted in T20 cricket, supposedly the format for people with not much time to watch cricket? Pundits bemoan slow over rates in test matches but is appears to be becoming the norm in T20 and not a comment is made!
I recorded yesterday’s game on Sky. Sat down to watch it and the recording ended in the 14th or 15th over. Surely Sky would stay with the match to the end? I’m sure I had enough space on my planner. But the game should have finished by 9.30 anyway.

I think t20 started as a quick fire game, non-stop action, thrills and spills, all the fun of the fair.

Since international teams got involved there’s more [money] riding on it. Captains and bowlers spend more time setting fields. There are more delays while no-balls, boundary saves etc are checked and replays replayed ad nauseam. DRS doesn’t help.

Would I be right in thinking that domestic t20s are still fast moving?
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 19:16   #109
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I recorded yesterday’s game on Sky. Sat down to watch it and the recording ended in the 14th or 15th over. Surely Sky would stay with the match to the end? I’m sure I had enough space on my planner. But the game should have finished by 9.30 anyway.

I think t20 started as a quick fire game, non-stop action, thrills and spills, all the fun of the fair.

Since international teams got involved there’s more [money] riding on it. Captains and bowlers spend more time setting fields. There are more delays while no-balls, boundary saves etc are checked and replays replayed ad nauseam. DRS doesn’t help.

Would I be right in thinking that domestic t20s are still fast moving?
Sure, the reasons for the required extra time are fairly obvious. What i find bizarre is that a format that, as you say, is supposedly quick-fire, non-stop, all action for a modern society with short attention spans is becoming just as pedestrian as longer formats with no censure. I dont buy the money issue. I think like the top players in golf slow play is just tolerated as no-one wants to upset the apple cart. And lets not forget that the IPL adds another 5 minutes onto each innings for those oh so important advert breaks. (they call em strategic time-outs but no-one's fooled by those semantics!)
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 19:29   #110
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
TMS have just tweeted that the game tomorrow will start at 6am and finish at 9.15am. So with a 15 min break that's 3 hours for a 40 over game. Effectively 13.33 overs per hour. How come this shoddy over rate has become accepted in T20 cricket, supposedly the format for people with not much time to watch cricket? Pundits bemoan slow over rates in test matches but is appears to be becoming the norm in T20 and not a comment is made!
It only happens when games are televised, Hector,and there are endless replays to see if a boundary outrider's big toe has brushed the rope, DRS and the rest of it - none of which is seen as 'slowing the game down' by the ICC but is regarded as heightening the drama and immediacy.

Non-televised domestic T20s still rattle along and umpires are getting tougher than ever when it doesn't - I think there were more penalty runs awarded in 2017 for not bowling overs in time than in any previous season?

Meanwhile, I shall long cherish the memory of the hapless Nick Knight saying of tomorrow's match: "Australia's win makes Sunday's game very simple - it's winner takes all, although New Zealand could lose and still eliminate England on net run rate."

I don't think even Botham or Hussain has ever come up with anything quite as deliciously asinine as that!
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 19:54   #111
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
It only happens when games are televised, Hector,and there are endless replays to see if a boundary outrider's big toe has brushed the rope, DRS and the rest of it - none of which is seen as 'slowing the game down' by the ICC but is regarded as heightening the drama and immediacy.

Non-televised domestic T20s still rattle along and umpires are getting tougher than ever when it doesn't - I think there were more penalty runs awarded in 2017 for not bowling overs in time than in any previous season?

Meanwhile, I shall long cherish the memory of the hapless Nick Knight saying of tomorrow's match: "Australia's win makes Sunday's game very simple - it's winner takes all, although New Zealand could lose and still eliminate England on net run rate."

I don't think even Botham or Hussain has ever come up with anything quite as deliciously asinine as that!
Yeah fair points. I suppose it just raises the odd eyebrow when you first see the timings!
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 21:16   #112
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
It only happens when games are televised, Hector,and there are endless replays to see if a boundary outrider's big toe has brushed the rope, DRS and the rest of it - none of which is seen as 'slowing the game down' by the ICC but is regarded as heightening the drama and immediacy.

Non-televised domestic T20s still rattle along and umpires are getting tougher than ever when it doesn't - I think there were more penalty runs awarded in 2017 for not bowling overs in time than in any previous season?

Meanwhile, I shall long cherish the memory of the hapless Nick Knight saying of tomorrow's match: "Australia's win makes Sunday's game very simple - it's winner takes all, although New Zealand could lose and still eliminate England on net run rate."
I don't think even Botham or Hussain has ever come up with anything quite as deliciously asinine as that!
Ah. Please clarify. I haven’t followed this tournament too closely but after NZ were defeated yesterday I heard pundits saying that England were definitely guaranteed a final place.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 22:01   #113
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Roughly speaking, due to a poor NRR , England not only need to win but to do so by approx 20 runs if they bat first or with two overs to spare if they bast second - hence my jibe at Knight's 'winner takes all' comment, when the winner might still get knocked out!...

As England have so far lost every single game in the competition, they are a world away from being "definitely guaranteed a final place"!
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 23:40   #114
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Roughly speaking, due to a poor NRR , England not only need to win but to do so by approx 20 runs if they bat first or with two overs to spare if they bast second - hence my jibe at Knight's 'winner takes all' comment, when the winner might still get knocked out!...

As England have so far lost every single game in the competition, they are a world away from being "definitely guaranteed a final place"!
Well, since NZ have won only one game themselves, England are hardly a world away, but are a good convincing win away and will need to pull out all the stops.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 23:49   #115
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I recorded yesterday’s game on Sky. Sat down to watch it and the recording ended in the 14th or 15th over. Surely Sky would stay with the match to the end? I’m sure I had enough space on my planner. But the game should have finished by 9.30 anyway.

I think t20 started as a quick fire game, non-stop action, thrills and spills, all the fun of the fair.

Since international teams got involved there’s more [money] riding on it. Captains and bowlers spend more time setting fields. There are more delays while no-balls, boundary saves etc are checked and replays replayed ad nauseam. DRS doesn’t help.

Would I be right in thinking that domestic t20s are still fast moving?
Watched the repeat of the game. Had a lot of rewind and fast forwarded through the mid innings interval but worked out it lasted about 4 hours. No wonder the recording ran out. Think in domestic T20 they get penalised if they go over time so more fast paced.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 07:53   #116
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,913
NZ win a seemingly important toss and put England in unsurprisingly but Malan doing well again.

Pffft that was definitely my fault I pressed post just as he hit it to the fielder....
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 08:20   #117
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,095
Morgan making a constest of it.

Will need a lot of early wickets.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 08:31   #118
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,095
Decent finish ! NZ need around 175 ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 08:33   #119
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Decent finish ! NZ need around 175 ?
Yup our tail enders finally coming to the party and Morgan played some great shots, think we have a chance defending ~175 as it doesn't look an easy pitch to score on (I thought NZ bowled poorly Sodhi apart), although the boundaries are pretty small all around if you go aerial.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 08:36   #120
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,916
This is a funny one for NZ. Do they set out to win the match or lose by 19? Sends all the wrong messages to aim to lose not too badly and could collapse in a heap, but why chase 20 more than needed.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:42.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org