Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2017, 20:28   #1361
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
I think Sussex have real problems. The situation at Hove is in many ways reminiscent of the crisis that hit Kent circa 2010 and from which the county is only now emerging.

The malaise at Sussex has been evident for several seasons and it has been a downward spiral since 2014, but I hope Sussex can emerge from the mess quicker than Kent did.

Rob Andrew strikes me as a man who takes no prisoners and if things don't look up then one would imagine the roles of Davis and Wright as coach and captain are on the line.
Rob Andrew has previous for presiding over malaises. I hope Sussex have done a better job of describing his responsibilities.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 10:42   #1362
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
One small piece of good news for Sussex is that England don't want Jordan for the Champions Trophy, so he should be available for Sussex when he returns from the IPL -and he should be raring to go as he hasn't played a game in India yet.

That England haven't selected Finn either is good news for Kent, as they may get to keep James Harris longer than anticipated.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 19:05   #1363
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Philander and Jordan both back for the CC game v Durham on Sunday?

Those two plus Magoffin and the excitingly explosive find that is Archer are on paper as good a seam quartet as any first division club...

If they are back, the prospect of them bowling at Keaton Jennings might entice me down to Hove on Sunday ... if it ever stops raining.

It would also be nice to say farewell to Collingwood (I'm assuming this is his valedictory season?) He's one of those players I disliked in his bumptious youth but whom I've rather warmed to in his dotage.

Last edited by WeAreKent : 18th May 2017 at 19:33.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 20:43   #1364
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Philander and Jordan both back for the CC game v Durham on Sunday?

Those two plus Magoffin and the excitingly explosive find that is Archer are on paper as good a seam quartet as any first division club...

If they are back, the prospect of them bowling at Keaton Jennings might entice me down to Hove on Sunday ... if it ever stops raining.
Looking dry for Sunday, and reasonable for the rest of the game.

Durham's optimum attack isn't too shabby either. I have an eye on making a trip for the final day so I'm hoping a seamer's track is not served up !
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 13:33   #1365
HHSussex
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 114
Nice to be able to log on here again. Its been several weeks since I reported the problem to the admins but didn't get a response.

Now awaiting a nervous afternoon -can Sussex get the wickets they need before the rains come down? - that could so easily have been avoided if Mark Davis hadn't been hell-bent on including Magoffin AND not offending any of his group of min-stellar, semi all-rounders by dropping them in the interests of balancing the attack. As it is Magoffin managed 9 overs before hobbling off with an achilles problem and it may be a while before he is seen again. Only a fortnight ago he was on crutches after his knee injury and talisman though he is, Sussex really need to consider whether 5 right arm over the wicket seamers is just a little too much of a good thing. Danny Briggs is not the best slow left-armer in the game at the moment, though in England there is little competition, but he does offer a different angle, a new set of challenges to a batsman who having seen off Philander and Jordan then sees them replaced with Archer and Wiese and thus has a good idea of what is in store for him before the ball is delivered.
__________________
Regularly posting at http://unofficialsussexccc.freeforums.net/
HHSussex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 20:39   #1366
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
You can't please all of the people all of the time -and you can't please some of them any of the time.

Sussex won by an innings and apart from the wicketless and crocked Magoffin, every seamer played a key part in the victory.

There was a spinner in the side - Chris Nash - but he was only needed for a single over.

Didn't see the game, so perhaps it is invidious of me to comment. But I must say I like Wiese. Saw him at Tunbridge Wells and he actually bowled better - and quicker - than any of Jordan/Philander/Archer.

I used to post on the unofficial Sussex cricket forum. But then five months ago I got "locked out", just as you did from here.

Like you, "I reported the problem to the admins but didn't get a response" so haven't visited the site since February.

Good luck to Sussex, who have always been my 'second team' but it is hard to see beyond Notts/Kent/Worcs for the two promotion places.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 10:27   #1367
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post

I used to post on the unofficial Sussex cricket forum. But then five months ago I got "locked out", just as you did from here.

Like you, "I reported the problem to the admins but didn't get a response" so haven't visited the site since February.
While we have very good discussions on here, it's a shame more people don't use this site to talk about county cricket. The Sussex forum is probably close to being the best of the individual county forums, but some seem to be populated by only half a dozen contributors - if they have a forum at all.

I see the Kent forum shut, and as far as I can see its former contributors are now spread thinly across a section on the Sussex forum, the View From the Boundary Forum and a few on here.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 14:01   #1368
Woody
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lagos
Team(s): Notts, England, Cfc, SCCC
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
While we have very good discussions on here, it's a shame more people don't use this site to talk about county cricket. The Sussex forum is probably close to being the best of the individual county forums, but some seem to be populated by only half a dozen contributors - if they have a forum at all.

I see the Kent forum shut, and as far as I can see its former contributors are now spread thinly across a section on the Sussex forum, the View From the Boundary Forum and a few on here.


There is another Sussex Forum called TheInnerCircle@Sxinnercircle they have 163 members and I would say about 75% of those members contribute. Especially good if you want to chat about the County Championship.

Also on twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/SxInnerCircle
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 18:25   #1369
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
There is another Sussex Forum called TheInnerCircle@Sxinnercircle they have 163 members and I would say about 75% of those members contribute. Especially good if you want to chat about the County Championship.

Also on twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/SxInnerCircle
My recollection from the discussion on the old Sussex board is that the 'Inner Circle' is a closed shop of south coast freemasons which is by 'invitation only' and is run by Brighton's answer to Benito Mussolini, who bans anyone who dares to disagree with him and makes Paul Nuttall look like a tolerant and reasonable human being.

But that is going back a while and perhaps it has changed since then and is now under less abrasive management and is more open and democratic...
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 19:29   #1370
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Dropped in at East Grinstead - only ten mins by car - to watch Sussex seconds take on Kent in a T20 double-header.

Nice ground next door to the Scientology HQ at Saint Hill.

But it was disappointingly one-sided as Kent were all-out for 80-odd and then lost eight wkts in making just over 100 in the second game. Nothing wrong with the pitch, according to the players I spoke to on both sides and Sussex steamrollered to victory by 9 wkts and 7 wkts.

It was an interesting contest because the CEOs of both Sussex and Kent have publicly boasted that they have the "best Academy conversation rate", whatever that means.

One of them cannot be quite telling the truth but on this showing Sussex's youngsters are the more talented by some margin.

It was especially good to see the return of Ollie Robinson (ironically a Kent academy product - perhaps both counties are claiming him as part of their academy supremacy?) for his first games of the season after injury. He bowled beautifully and Kent's batsmen had no answer to him.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 17:16   #1371
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,294
Delroy Rawlins going well against South Africa A.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 13:54   #1372
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Delroy Rawlins going well against South Africa A.
What a cracking effort by this young Sussex side. Now Danny Briggs, whose batting seems to have hugely improved, has scored his maiden ton.

Also Jonty Jenner, a player I have had my eye on for a while, weighed in with 68 on his debut. Just 19, he has previously put in some fearless batting performances for Jersey, for whom he averages 52 in T20 internationals.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 18:18   #1373
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
What a cracking effort by this young Sussex side. Now Danny Briggs, whose batting seems to have hugely improved, has scored his maiden ton.

Also Jonty Jenner, a player I have had my eye on for a while, weighed in with 68 on his debut. Just 19, he has previously put in some fearless batting performances for Jersey, for whom he averages 52 in T20 internationals.
And very pleased for Will Beer. In all the years he's been around he'd never taken more than three wkts in an innings in any format for the first XI and ended up with match figures of 11-91.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 14:11   #1374
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,916
Congrats to Ben Brown on being appointed skipper for the rest of the season and presumably beyond. Ross Taylor to captain in T20.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 12:06   #1375
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 939
Shahzad leaves Sussex "free to explore other playing opportunities with immediate effect".
With Kohler Cadmore already playing for his second county this season, is it becoming earlier and earlier that players are released and allowed to join other counties? I'm sure there are other examples this and last season.
Didn't that used to happen at the end of the season?
Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 12:21   #1376
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Shahzad leaves Sussex "free to explore other playing opportunities with immediate effect".
With Kohler Cadmore already playing for his second county this season, is it becoming earlier and earlier that players are released and allowed to join other counties? I'm sure there are other examples this and last season.
Didn't that used to happen at the end of the season?
Yorks
Lancs
Notts
Sussex
?

Hope he's not coming to Lancs. Time for Mahmood and Lester to get a chance.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 12:26   #1377
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Yorks
Lancs
Notts
Sussex
?

Hope he's not coming to Lancs. Time for Mahmood and Lester to get a chance.
agreed
Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 12:15   #1378
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Yorks
Lancs
Notts
Sussex
?

Hope he's not coming to Lancs. Time for Mahmood and Lester to get a chance.
He's just signed for Formby in the Liverpool Competition
Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:45   #1379
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Loved this report of Glam v Sussex :

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/cric...g_firew orks/

After playing his first game on Thursday since April and bowling four overs, the fit-again Tymal Mills was apparently "rested" last night.

It's a dog's life being a pro cricketer, eh?
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 13:42   #1380
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Loved this report of Glam v Sussex :

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/cric...g_firew orks/

After playing his first game on Thursday since April and bowling four overs, the fit-again Tymal Mills was apparently "rested" last night.

It's a dog's life being a pro cricketer, eh?
It's nothing new really, the club must work on the assumption that he can't play two days running.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org