Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2015, 09:01   #141
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Stokes bats like Mitchell Johnson who had an identical dismissal in the ashes. Let's hope he becomes a bowler like him. Surely bairstow should bat 6?
That was poor indeed. Bairstow does need a performance with the bat of some consequence over this series. His batting hasn't cut the mustard at test level for me over his different spells in the side.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:05   #142
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,418
Oh dear. I guess Stokes was always going to go for his shots but that was poor. He looked very comfortable against Steyn but all at sea against the extra bounce of Morkel. He should have been cutting rather than pulling that ball. England desperately need a solid contribution from Bairstow here otherwise the hard work of yesterday could be undone.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:27   #143
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Oh dear. I guess Stokes was always going to go for his shots but that was poor. He looked very comfortable against Steyn but all at sea against the extra bounce of Morkel. He should have been cutting rather than pulling that ball. England desperately need a solid contribution from Bairstow here otherwise the hard work of yesterday could be undone.
Yes, he managed a couple of unconvincing plays and misses against Morkel, one defensive, one attacking before the wicket too. Very disappointing for him and England. Still batting to come but harder to see getting much over 300 now.

Will be interesting to see what the England bowlers can get out of this surface. The comms have been rather critical of it and it's not got great pace or much movement but think it will reverse rather more on dry days as SA have got a bit with this ball despite the rain. It may turn and misbehave bounce wise too. I think 350 would be an excellent first innings score.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:29   #144
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,418
6 runs for Compton so far today, 4 of which came off the edge. I didn't have an issue with his approach yesterday but I would have thought trying to score a few runs before the new ball would have been a sensible approach today. I suppose you could argue the most important thing was him being there when the new ball is taken.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:33   #145
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,717
Compton just played a shot he didn't have to: slog sweep off Piedt. It didn't connect. It's been an admirable innings but wow he's even more defensive than I remember from his previous stint the side. I think that's okay as long as there's someone playing some shots at the other end but I dread to think what will happen if he bats for hours with Cook (to the crowd and indeed to Michelle).
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:38   #146
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Will be interesting to see what the England bowlers can get out of this surface. The comms have been rather critical of it and it's not got great pace or much movement but think it will reverse rather more on dry days as SA have got a bit with this ball despite the rain. It may turn and misbehave bounce wise too. I think 350 would be an excellent first innings score.
The pitch looks pretty good at the moment but I think it is likely to deteriorate a bit if the sun stays out. It should reverse and turn a bit. Just a shame we haven't got a good reverse swing bowler or spinner in the team!
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:43   #147
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
Can't criticise Compdog. Did what was needed and did it well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Not surprising, is it? This was Compton's first England match since being dropped nearly three years ago. Taylor has established himself in the one-day team where he has put in some match-winning performances, as well as making his first test half-century in the recent tour of UAE. The questions about his lack of height which obscured everything else about his test debut in 2012 now sound ridiculous.

Compton was summarily dropped in 2013 after a run of poor scores which followed two centuries in NZ and a promising debut in India. He's worked on his game as a county cricketer but while repeating that he was hopeful of a recall, he may have privately been resigned to never playing for England again, and no doubt some fans were equally doubtful. Now he's got his chance. The last thing he would have wanted today would have been to get out early, and he made certain he didn't. He has everything to prove all over again. His stand with Taylor was crucial for the match situation and he acquitted himself very well indeed.

Or, as George Dobell puts it:

After a two-and-a-half year wait for a recall, Nick Compton was greeted by the world's No. 1 bowler on a murky day and responded with an innings of immense character and skill.

I don't know if you heard Swann discussing Compton's innings, but he struggled to hide his hostility. I don't know whether that's personal (he of course was one of the bully boy bowlers he ruled the dressing room at the time Compton was dropped as his face allegedly didn't fit) or tactical but he said Compton's innings could only be "justified" if he went on to get a big hundred.

He said that against the Kookaburra, batsmen need to be attacking in the middle overs after the ball stops swinging at around 20 overs and before it starts reverse swinging - specifically stating that he who can't be named was particularly good at this, which suggests it may not necessarily be personal. He was also quick to distinguish between Compton and Trott, who he said was far better at keeping the scoreboard moving.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as Lovejoy, but there is something in what he said. It's an indeterminate innings so far (although looking better against the second new ball) and not yet worthy of the gushing praise that some seem to want to annoint it with.

As for the questions about Taylor's height when he made his debut, I think this obscures the point that was being made which was that Taylor on his debut batted like Compton did yesterday and looked one-paced. What impressed about Taylor's innings yesterday was that he has develped his game and is now able to score, able to work the ball about and keep the scoreboard moving and the strike rotating.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:56   #148
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,080
Swann talks some ********.

Compton has more runs than anyone else - and has held the innings together - without him we would be right up the creek.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:06   #149
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I don't know if you heard Swann discussing Compton's innings, but he struggled to hide his hostility. I don't know whether that's personal (he of course was one of the bully boy bowlers he ruled the dressing room at the time Compton was dropped as his face allegedly didn't fit) or tactical but he said Compton's innings could only be "justified" if he went on to get a big hundred.

He said that against the Kookaburra, batsmen need to be attacking in the middle overs after the ball stops swinging at around 20 overs and before it starts reverse swinging - specifically stating that he who can't be named was particularly good at this, which suggests it may not necessarily be personal. He was also quick to distinguish between Compton and Trott, who he said was far better at keeping the scoreboard moving.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as Lovejoy, but there is something in what he said. It's an indeterminate innings so far (although looking better against the second new ball) and not yet worthy of the gushing praise that some seem to want to annoint it with.

As for the questions about Taylor's height when he made his debut, I think this obscures the point that was being made which was that Taylor on his debut batted like Compton did yesterday and looked one-paced. What impressed about Taylor's innings yesterday was that he has develped his game and is now able to score, able to work the ball about and keep the scoreboard moving and the strike rotating.
G Smith was asked about Taylor on comms and was pretty dismissive of his efforts back in 2012 but thought he looked better yesterday.

Poor from Compton there and yet another good innings fails to become a century.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:07   #150
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,414
Hmmm.

Moeen against Morkel. This may not last long.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:08   #151
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,468
I've been wondering where the short balls have been. That said it was a crap way to get out. Can't help thinking there will be a few more short balls to come.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:09   #152
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,418
Every time England threaten to get on top they gift the opposition a wicket. That was just as bad as Stokes.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:09   #153
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,848
What a way for compo to get out. Shame. Moeen showed he was expert vs new ball in UAE.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:11   #154
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,848
Any pundit criticising compton's knock is talking complete crap. He was in at c40 for 3 and the batting was hard. His objective was to bat out the day so that the stroke makers could come out in today's sunshine. Normally Swann is an excellent. Pundit so that suggests this was personal.

Bairstow looks in fine touch.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:12   #155
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,414
Steyn's going to miss Cape Town isn't he?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:16   #156
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,848
Moeen vs the new ball. Ouch. Compo you fool.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:17   #157
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,848
Sensational delivery by morkel. Hit the seam and off it went. That would get any left handed any day. Had to play. Harsh for us to slate him.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:18   #158
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Hmmm.

Moeen against Morkel. This may not last long.
4 balls
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:19   #159
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,848
That was crap by woakes.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:19   #160
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Moeen vs the new ball. Ouch. Compo you fool.
At least he got out to a Jaffa. Not criticising Compton, are you?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:07.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org