Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2018, 16:35   #481
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Have got to hope India put up a stronger fight during the next three Tests. Still, at least they have some time and first-class practice before the next Test....

....oh, hang about.


You beat me to it!
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 16:42   #482
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,581
Do we know if India are beating themselves up about not being able to produce players who are not fully proficient in a country they visit once every three or four years? Or is that more of an England thing?

To be fair, it would help them if they picked a side for the conditions rather than one for India. Their selection for the last test would be the equivalent of us rocking up with 5 seamers in India.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 16:56   #483
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,758
Same squad for the Trent Bridge test.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 17:23   #484
Corbo 61
Posting God
 
Corbo 61's Avatar
Good luck DOH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Doing something more useful
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 14,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Same squad for the Trent Bridge test.
Hardly news. As predictable as moaning Arsenal fans.
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 17:57   #485
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
... To be fair, it would help them if they picked a side for the conditions rather than one for India. Their selection for the last test would be the equivalent of us rocking up with 5 seamers in India.
We don't play 5 seamers even at home. In India, we tend to play 3 (sometimes 4) seamers test after test regardless of how ineffective they are, because it would feel too strange to act otherwise, and because we think our spinners are rubbish.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 18:08   #486
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
We don't play 5 seamers even at home. In India, we tend to play 3 (sometimes 4) seamers test after test regardless of how ineffective they are, because it would feel too strange to act otherwise, and because we think our spinners are rubbish.
To play two front line seamers on that pitch when you were going to bowl is as bad as five seamers in india.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 18:16   #487
cg3
County Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Do we know if India are beating themselves up about not being able to produce players who are not fully proficient in a country they visit once every three or four years? Or is that more of an England thing?
Of course we are. As do fans of all the other cricket nations, and as do fans of all other team sports. Who likes to see their team get humiliated like a club side as India just have been?

Quite bizarre why you would think this is an "English thing"? People are people, English or otherwise, you know...
cg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 18:40   #488
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Do we know if India are beating themselves up about not being able to produce players who are not fully proficient in a country they visit once every three or four years? Or is that more of an England thing?

To be fair, it would help them if they picked a side for the conditions rather than one for India. Their selection for the last test would be the equivalent of us rocking up with 5 seamers in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
Of course we are. As do fans of all the other cricket nations, and as do fans of all other team sports. Who likes to see their team get humiliated like a club side as India just have been?

Quite bizarre why you would think this is an "English thing"? People are people, English or otherwise, you know...
Quite, and even if Indian fans didn't worry about it, that wouldn't mean it's wrong for England fans to expect better.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 18:47   #489
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post


You beat me to it!
For all your annoyance over the Essex game, you do realise we might potentially have seen the only decent Indian red-ball batting performance of this tour?!
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 12:23   #490
JS180
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 190
We need to wrap Jimmy Anderson up in cotton wool in between tests he's so vital to our success. Try and squeeze a few more years out of him bowling like he is now.
JS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 12:26   #491
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
Of course we are. As do fans of all the other cricket nations, and as do fans of all other team sports. Who likes to see their team get humiliated like a club side as India just have been?

Quite bizarre why you would think this is an "English thing"? People are people, English or otherwise, you know...
I wonder if A2D's, yours and my comments go missing to certain posters because there was an earlier suggestion that Indians here were complaining about the pitches and now this.

If the question is whether BCCI bothers, as against the Indian cricket fan, it might be a different answer. BCCI will only bother if the team's performance drastically affects their earning. Until that happens, they wouldn't really bother.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 18:19   #492
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
I wonder if A2D's, yours and my comments go missing to certain posters because there was an earlier suggestion that Indians here were complaining about the pitches and now this.

If the question is whether BCCI bothers, as against the Indian cricket fan, it might be a different answer. BCCI will only bother if the team's performance drastically affects their earning. Until that happens, they wouldn't really bother.
I shouldn't worry about SVaG's post, it was less aimed at Indian fans, and more a sly dig at English fans who would like to see improvements made to English domestic cricket so that it produces better prepared international cricketers.

The other post was just ignorant.

Hope you don't feel unwelcome, most of us appreciate your insights into the Indian game.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 10:26   #493
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS180 View Post
We need to wrap Jimmy Anderson up in cotton wool in between tests he's so vital to our success. Try and squeeze a few more years out of him bowling like he is now.
We do. He doesn't play white ball cricket and only plays for Lancashire when he needs match practice.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 13:41   #494
luckyluke
Established International
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
We do. He doesn't play white ball cricket and only plays for Lancashire when he needs match practice.
Maybe they meant literally
__________________
Most heartless decision:

In a women's league match in Denmark, a heavily pregnant woman arrived at the crease, and asked for a runner. Her request was denied, on the grounds that her incapacity had not occured during the course of the match.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 19:22   #495
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
We do. He doesn't play white ball cricket and only plays for Lancashire when he needs match practice.
Agree. If you think about it, he plays roughly 13/14 matches a year. Quite a good life really.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 08:55   #496
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Hope you don't feel unwelcome, most of us appreciate your insights into the Indian game.
Definitely not. To be an Indian test cricket team supporter, one has to be reasonably thick skinned, so we're okay.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 09:53   #497
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Definitely not. To be an Indian test cricket team supporter, one has to be reasonably thick skinned, so we're okay.


Could be worse, we could all be Australian fans...

__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 10:28   #498
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,581
To confirm what ali said - mine was definitely aimed at English fans and how we demand our team wins in all conditions every single time. The big irony is that when an English county prepares a turning pitch they are accused of being cheats and a national selector calls for a points deduction. Whereas seaming green tops are good for the county game. I am not sure how our players are supposed to improve on turning pitches if teams using them are called cheats.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 23:35   #499
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
To confirm what ali said - mine was definitely aimed at English fans and how we demand our team wins in all conditions every single time. The big irony is that when an English county prepares a turning pitch they are accused of being cheats and a national selector calls for a points deduction. Whereas seaming green tops are good for the county game. I am not sure how our players are supposed to improve on turning pitches if teams using them are called cheats.
This is true, but teams should be encouraged to prepare good wickets.

It's unacceptable that an English batsman (Pope) can be called up in August and say he's barely played spin bowling all season.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:01.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org