Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2015, 20:54   #881
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
You say that but in the post Ashes odi at Lords in 2009he ran through England bowling 95mph yorkers, IIRC.
Shows how much I remember about those ODIs, I just recall him not bowling that quick versus India in the Australian tour there in 2008 and then not bowling that quick when Aus lost at home to South Africa. That series included his final test.

I guess the time I really remember him last in ODIs was the last world cup when he had lost pace.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 22:59   #882
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Shows how much I remember about those ODIs, I just recall him not bowling that quick versus India in the Australian tour there in 2008 and then not bowling that quick when Aus lost at home to South Africa. That series included his final test.

I guess the time I really remember him last in ODIs was the last world cup when he had lost pace.
Understandable you may have scrubbed it from your memory, it was during the Denly-era.

Probably one of the best odi spells I've seen. Unplayably fast.
Brett Lee 5 for 49 - Australia v England 4th ODI at Lords 2009: http://youtu.be/uRWZhpFGlSI
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 10:50   #883
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Understandable you may have scrubbed it from your memory, it was during the Denly-era.

Probably one of the best odi spells I've seen. Unplayably fast.
Brett Lee 5 for 49 - Australia v England 4th ODI at Lords 2009: http://youtu.be/uRWZhpFGlSI
Yep I had my head stuck up a cow's a**e while watching it!
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 11:24   #884
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,943
I remember Lee playing against the Lions on Sky in a 4 day game from that tour and he was the outstanding bowler in the Aussie team. Denly played him beautifully including a hook shot in front of square that took your breath away. Lee broke down in the end. I think Joe effectively ended the career of one of the best quick bowlers of the era, imagine what he'd done if he'd got his deserved chance at Test level.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 14:26   #885
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,614
Many of us broke down upon seeing Joe Denly heading out to bat for England
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 21:15   #886
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,521
I hadn't realised there had been a Denly era. I must have blinked and missed it.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 21:23   #887
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I hadn't realised there had been a Denly era. I must have blinked and missed it.
So did he
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 19:47   #888
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,250
I'm still having the therapy. It's lasting a lot longer than his international career.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 12:40   #889
ThomasTT
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs View Post
There is no reason why they couldn't have played two games in a day or even 3 on a Sat/Sun. Get it all done within 2 weeks.

There are people over here clambering for a Big Bash style tournament but if we are going to go down this route then it needs to be done properly. England players need to be involved and it needs to be over and done with in a fortnight, in the height of summer, when the kids are off and you can play multiple games on a Sat/Sun.
Its unlikely to be played quite so quickly as tv ratings are also part of the huge success of the whole thing. It probably doesnt appear too long an event for the organisers considering a 50,000 crowd for the adelaide semifinal.

Its not as if England dont want this. Indeed they have actually tried playing games in a shorter window to some degree. The problem is the weather. What they really need is a venue with a roof. At least one place where play is guaranteed, epsecially for semis and final.

The millennium stadium seems obvious. Remove the small lower tiers on both sides. that should do it. It works in Auckland, why not Cardiff.
ThomasTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 12:59   #890
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTT View Post
Its unlikely to be played quite so quickly as tv ratings are also part of the huge success of the whole thing. It probably doesnt appear too long an event for the organisers considering a 50,000 crowd for the adelaide semifinal.

Its not as if England dont want this. Indeed they have actually tried playing games in a shorter window to some degree. The problem is the weather. What they really need is a venue with a roof. At least one place where play is guaranteed, epsecially for semis and final.

The millennium stadium seems obvious. Remove the small lower tiers on both sides. that should do it. It works in Auckland, why not Cardiff.
I don't think the Milennium Stadium is designed the same way as Oz or NZ grounds where they have stadiums designed to have retractable seating so it can go from a rugby to a cricket playing field. They did have a cricket tournament there years ago and it was a farce. The only potential option is the Olympic Stadium which is being revamped for West Ham but with seats that can be removed to have a running track and hopefully a cricket field. It doesn't have a roof but you could get 50,000 watching if it's marketed right with two or three games on the same day (possibly finals day). It still all depends on it being on terrestrial TV to get interest up first, though.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 15:54   #891
ThomasTT
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I don't think the Milennium Stadium is designed the same way as Oz or NZ grounds where they have stadiums designed to have retractable seating so it can go from a rugby to a cricket playing field. They did have a cricket tournament there years ago and it was a farce. The only potential option is the Olympic Stadium which is being revamped for West Ham but with seats that can be removed to have a running track and hopefully a cricket field. It doesn't have a roof but you could get 50,000 watching if it's marketed right with two or three games on the same day (possibly finals day). It still all depends on it being on terrestrial TV to get interest up first, though.
It was pre-T20 that they staged som cricket there. The format itself - whatever it was - had no credibility even before considering joke boundaries and whatever they used for at pitch.

This would be different. There should be drop-in pitches and boundaries should be no smaller than Eden Park, Auckland. You are, of course, right that stadium is designed for it but my point is that it wouldnt take a lot to make the millennium similar. The two venues look very much the same. Both have a small lower tier. The only difference is that they are fixed in Cardiff but can be removed in Auckland.

And if you want terrestrial TV, as do I, well then you need a roof even more. They dont want to pay for and schedule something with such a high risk of cancellation.
ThomasTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 16:40   #892
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTT View Post
It was pre-T20 that they staged som cricket there. The format itself - whatever it was - had no credibility even before considering joke boundaries and whatever they used for at pitch.

This would be different. There should be drop-in pitches and boundaries should be no smaller than Eden Park, Auckland. You are, of course, right that stadium is designed for it but my point is that it wouldnt take a lot to make the millennium similar. The two venues look very much the same. Both have a small lower tier. The only difference is that they are fixed in Cardiff but can be removed in Auckland.

And if you want terrestrial TV, as do I, well then you need a roof even more. They dont want to pay for and schedule something with such a high risk of cancellation.
I'm not an expert but I reckon having a fixed lower tier would be difficult to work around! I doubt the Welsh would redesign the stadium for cricket when they can barely get a sell out for a Test match at Sophia Gardens. I agree with you though, it would be an ideal place if they could sort it out. I think with cricket you just have to accept that there's a chance of rain in England, it's not really financially viable to build an indoor arena big enough to play cricket in.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 17:21   #893
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,577
you are missing an innovation here.

Yes the pitch is small but.....if you hit it into the crowd you get a six. However...if the crowd catch the ball then you are out. The person who takes the catch is then invited into the pitch as an extra fielder and wins a t shirt saying "I caught a ball."

That will draw the crowds more than flashing stumps.

I am wasted in my current job.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 18:05   #894
ThomasTT
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I'm not an expert but I reckon having a fixed lower tier would be difficult to work around! I doubt the Welsh would redesign the stadium for cricket when they can barely get a sell out for a Test match at Sophia Gardens. I agree with you though, it would be an ideal place if they could sort it out. I think with cricket you just have to accept that there's a chance of rain in England, it's not really financially viable to build an indoor arena big enough to play cricket in.
it would only be for T20 and the main purpose is to guarantee play for tv.

But true, Cardiff is not the best place to get good crowds for T20. Its just the only current stadium there is to work with. If it worked well, I think other venues would adapt.

QPR is another possibility. They are planning a new 40,000 seater stadium with a retractable roof in west London.

The Olympic stadium would also be fantastic but its not going to have a roof.
ThomasTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 08:25   #895
Sussex by the sea
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,315
Come on New South Wales this is an excellent opportunity to sign an experienced opener of proven ability to strengthen and solidify a weak top order.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/e...-1227256480590
Sussex by the sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 06:19   #896
Sussex by the sea
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,315
A clearout is needed at New South as a number of players did very little this season. These include Conway, Doran, Dwarshuis, Hughes, Lalor and Pisel. Henry despite scoring a hundred might be under threat too as he is 26 and not really kicking out as he should be and has scoring only 158 runs in his last ten innings since scoring 142 against South Australia. Trent Copeland and Ben Rohrer might also be anxiously awaiting news as to whether they have retained their contracts. One player I would look to sign is Ed Cowan.

My squad for 2015/16

Batsmen

Carters
Clarke
Cowan
Henriques
Henry
Maddinson
Patterson
Rohrer
Smith
Warner
Watson

Keepers

Haddin
Nevill

Spinners

Lyon
O'Keefe

Seamers

Abbott
Bollinger
Copeland
Cummins
Hazlewood
Sandhu
Starc
Sussex by the sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 07:20   #897
Sussex by the sea
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,315
No great loss. Hugely overrated IMHO. Hughes, Lalor, Conway, Dwarshuis and Pisel should follow him out the exit door.

http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/ne...n-to-leave-nsw

Nevill is Haddin's heir apparent.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/peter...ock/2015-02-12

O'Keefe should be the second spinner for the Ashes.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227232663277

Last edited by Sussex by the sea : 26th March 2015 at 07:35.
Sussex by the sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 19:13   #898
Sussex by the sea
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex by the sea View Post
A clearout is needed at New South as a number of players did very little this season. These include Conway, Doran, Dwarshuis, Hughes, Lalor and Pisel. Henry despite scoring a hundred might be under threat too as he is 26 and not really kicking out as he should be and has scoring only 158 runs in his last ten innings since scoring 142 against South Australia. Trent Copeland and Ben Rohrer might also be anxiously awaiting news as to whether they have retained their contracts. One player I would look to sign is Ed Cowan.

My squad for 2015/16

Batsmen

Carters
Clarke
Cowan
Henriques
Henry
Maddinson
Patterson
Rohrer
Smith
Warner
Watson

Keepers

Haddin
Nevill

Spinners

Lyon
O'Keefe

Seamers

Abbott
Bollinger
Copeland
Cummins
Hazlewood
Sandhu
Starc
Alistair McDermott would be a very good addition to the seam bowling list.
Sussex by the sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:53   #899
Sussex by the sea
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,315
Cowan has re-signed for New South Wales, five new players on rookie contracts along with Larkin and Somerville. Doran to Tasmania, Henry and Pisel delisted.

http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/ne...quad-announced

Last edited by Sussex by the sea : 2nd May 2015 at 08:09.
Sussex by the sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2018, 13:08   #900
tony p
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 33
our 50 over jlt cup finalists are known. vic d wa in their semi final today by 63 runs.(wa had not previously lost a match in the tournament.) tas d qld yesterday in a low scoring game. the final will be at the junction oval on wednesday. no more 50 over cricket for the rest of the season.(domestic.) sheffield shield starts on oct 16 until dec 7, then a break for the big bash starting on dec 19 to the final on feb 17. it will be on tv night after night after night after night after night for 2 months. teams playing 14 round robin matches up from 10 last year. shield recommences on feb 23 with the final on march 28. i feel sorry for those players who are not 20/20 exponents, but thats life.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:38.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org