Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2017, 12:39   #181
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
Did he play all series in India? Given the struggle of all our seamers there and his clear unreadiness for his comeback test I'm not sure too much can be drawn from that, beyond the pleasing symmetry of course.
One big concern other than the general mediocrity of most of his test career would be his injury proneness. He has only played 18/50 tests since making his debut.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 14:39   #182
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
One big concern other than the general mediocrity of most of his test career would be his injury proneness. He has only played 18/50 tests since making his debut.
I did wonder whether Woakes is a bit like Sidebottom in that they found a bit of nip and then had some decent success, only to find keeping up that pace unsustainable and breaking down with injury. I'll be a bit worried if Woakes is our first change seamer and just floating it up into the middle of Smith's bat this winter, especially if we just have Stokes and Ali backing him up who will need to do a lot of batting. Having TRJ in the team as well would be handy as he bowls a heavier ball and is a bit taller, not quite in the Tremlett mould but a bit like a Stuart Clark.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 16:21   #183
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
Did he play all series in India? Given the struggle of all our seamers there and his clear unreadiness for his comeback test I'm not sure too much can be drawn from that, beyond the pleasing symmetry of course.
No he missed two of the games (2nd and 5th I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I did wonder whether Woakes is a bit like Sidebottom in that they found a bit of nip and then had some decent success, only to find keeping up that pace unsustainable and breaking down with injury. I'll be a bit worried if Woakes is our first change seamer and just floating it up into the middle of Smith's bat this winter, especially if we just have Stokes and Ali backing him up who will need to do a lot of batting. Having TRJ in the team as well would be handy as he bowls a heavier ball and is a bit taller, not quite in the Tremlett mould but a bit like a Stuart Clark.
It's not going to happen but if our seam attack is Broad/Anderson/Woakes and Stokes I'd rather Woakes opened the bowling with Anderson as he can find some swing if there is any and Broad as first change. Broad is no better with the new ball than a slightly older one so there doesn't seem much point him bowling with the new one when there are bowlers that can get it to move a bit.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 14:05   #184
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
No he missed two of the games (2nd and 5th I think).



It's not going to happen but if our seam attack is Broad/Anderson/Woakes and Stokes I'd rather Woakes opened the bowling with Anderson as he can find some swing if there is any and Broad as first change. Broad is no better with the new ball than a slightly older one so there doesn't seem much point him bowling with the new one when there are bowlers that can get it to move a bit.
I wouldn't be opposed to this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 14:38   #185
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
...Broad is no better with the new ball than a slightly older one so there doesn't seem much point him bowling with the new one when there are bowlers that can get it to move a bit.
Yes, Broad has been wasting the new ball for years.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:16.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org