Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2016, 10:36   #21
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Many in India have questioned how the Dhoni-captaining and N Srinivasan-owning Chennai Super Kings always got to the last stages of IPL year after year.
Weren't there a number of IPL franchises which were banned after a high court ruling?

In relation to match fixing or spot fixing and various other things, corruption is rife wherever there are hundreds of millions of dollars involved. Every major sport has a problem, especially in lucrative leagues such as the english prem or the IPL in cricket.
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 11:48   #22
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Did anyone watch Midsummer last night? An episode centred around cricket with featured both match fixing and rows over a new short form village cricket league.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 18:07   #23
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...uspension.html
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 08:04   #24
Boxing Roo
County Pro
 
Boxing Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Team(s): Aussies, NSW
Posts: 611
Imo West indies and Pakistan have players that are serial fixers, so does a few others but those two are the worst.
Boxing Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 07:29   #25
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,506
Lonwaro Tsotsobe (remember him?) has been banned for eight years after admitting involvement in match-fixing in South Africa's Ram Slam competition.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 09:53   #26
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 7,874
What does a ram slam competition, presumably some sort of rural pastime based upon farming activities (sheep shearing would be another example), have to do with cricket?
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 12:17   #27
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Lonwaro Tsotsobe (remember him?) has been banned for eight years after admitting involvement in match-fixing in South Africa's Ram Slam competition.
Every time I saw Tsotsobe bowl I assumed he was match fixing.
Psyduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 10:26   #28
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,475
Wasn't he the best ODI bowler in the world at one point?
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 12:49   #29
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 827 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 4
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,748
https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...into-nightmare
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 13:26   #30
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,020
Reading that cricbuzz article, there is a web of intrigue that sounds likely to take years to unravel, if it ever does see the light of day.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 12:39   #31
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,021
Ranatunga now alleges that the finals of CWC 2011 was a fix

http://toi.in/fW075Y/a20ai
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 13:36   #32
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Wasn't he the best ODI bowler in the world at one point?
Indeed he was. Staggering.
Psyduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 14:14   #33
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Wasn't he the best ODI bowler in the world at one point?
No, but he was once ranked no.1 by the official ICC rankings.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 08:11   #34
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,506
Al Jazeera have shown a documentary in which 3 English and 2 Australian batsmen are alleged to have spot fixed in Tests against India. The names were edited out of the show, but it is suggested they scored at pre-ordained rates in certain periods of play.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 08:23   #35
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Al Jazeera have shown a documentary in which 3 English and 2 Australian batsmen are alleged to have spot fixed in Tests against India. The names were edited out of the show, but it is suggested they scored at pre-ordained rates in certain periods of play.
Any fix based on the ability of the English batsmen to score runs doesn't sound like a good bet to me...
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 08:27   #36
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdf View Post
Any fix based on the ability of the English batsmen to score runs doesn't sound like a good bet to me...
I think it was more to not score runs. Unsurprisingly, ECB and CA have denied and rubbished the allegations, but the ICC plans to investigate and has asked AJ to hand over the full evidence they possess.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 08:49   #37
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
I think it was more to not score runs. Unsurprisingly, ECB and CA have denied and rubbished the allegations, but the ICC plans to investigate and has asked AJ to hand over the full evidence they possess.
I was joking...

Personally I'm half of the opinion that spot betting is a scam anyway, and if this sort of 'cheating' was actually allowed unofficially (if a 'blind eye' was turned towards it) it would, in short order, kill off much of the betting on the sport...whereas trying to outlaw it is going to be as difficult, and perhaps as futile, as the 'war on drugs'!
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 08:53   #38
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Al Jazeera have shown a documentary in which 3 English and 2 Australian batsmen are alleged to have spot fixed in Tests against India. The names were edited out of the show, but it is suggested they scored at pre-ordained rates in certain periods of play.
Meh - they didnít have enough evidence to name the players so it mustnít be unsubstantiated. They need to get evidence or shut up.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 10:20   #39
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,475
I must say, I don't like the way that Bayliss and Root both settled upon the word "outrageous" to describe these allegations. Unless the idea is that England players are naturally morally above such things, I don't see how the allegations can be outrageous. Surely, given all the fixing in recent years, any such allegations are plausible in the first instance, and an investigation should be welcomed by captain and coach in order to ascertain the truth of the matter. If it happened there's no reason why Bayliss or Root would have known about it, unless Root himself was one of the players involved.

Agnew's response is much more appropriate:

"These suggestions are very surprising to me. I was at that match and had no suspicion of anything untoward. It came at the end of a long tour when England were routed and Alastair Cook eventually resigned as captain.

However, these are very serious allegations and I hope the people who have made this documentary turn them to the relevant authorities so they can be properly investigated."
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 17:02   #40
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I must say, I don't like the way that Bayliss and Root both settled upon the word "outrageous" to describe these allegations. Unless the idea is that England players are naturally morally above such things, I don't see how the allegations can be outrageous. Surely, given all the fixing in recent years, any such allegations are plausible in the first instance, and an investigation should be welcomed by captain and coach in order to ascertain the truth of the matter. If it happened there's no reason why Bayliss or Root would have known about it, unless Root himself was one of the players involved.

Agnew's response is much more appropriate:

"These suggestions are very surprising to me. I was at that match and had no suspicion of anything untoward. It came at the end of a long tour when England were routed and Alastair Cook eventually resigned as captain.

However, these are very serious allegations and I hope the people who have made this documentary turn them to the relevant authorities so they can be properly investigated."
Everyone is outraged these days. I agree with your last statement. If AJ have publicised these allegations based upon little more than hearsay, then it simply damages the game with no benefit and makes it harder to know what exactly are genuine allegations in the future. Which of course, benefits the bookmakers and cheaters.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:41.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org