Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Other International Teams
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2016, 17:19   #61
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Only time will tell, it is all speculation until it happens.
Well you've clearly won the argument with that one
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 19:08   #62
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
It's hard to know if this is just part of a natural cycle in performance that all teams go through or a sign that Irish cricket has peaked. They need to establish their domestic game and show they can produce more Rankins and Morgans before getting test cricket. I doubt either the ICC nor even Irish cricket would want their to be a further influx of ex-pats.

As for Afghanistan, I would be surprised if test status was afforded to another team in exile, as sad as that is.
There's far less ex pats than in previous years - Porterfirld, Stirling, O'Brien, O'Brien, Wilson, Poynter, Dockerell, Rankin, Chase, Young, Mccarthy, McCarter and mcBrine are born or in poynters case grew up in Ireland. The only blow-ins at present are Anderson, Terry and Murtagh.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 00:01   #63
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,681
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
I see that the Irish domestic league has been given First Class & List A status. Massive step forward for the league over there, which (money allowing) should mean that they can attract some decent ex-county pros or overseas players to up the standard a bit further.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 01:38   #64
Breacan
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Test cricket is dying anyway. At least thet's what the ICC are trying to tell everybody.
Sadly, it is only really where there are traditional rivalries that it is thriving. New test playing nations won't really have that.
__________________
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.
Breacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 19:48   #65
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,534
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
I see that the Irish domestic league has been given First Class & List A status. Massive step forward for the league over there, which (money allowing) should mean that they can attract some decent ex-county pros or overseas players to up the standard a bit further.
Yup, it's the inter provincial game that has been given first class status. It's not that much different from the Aussie model with province = states with a club skystem underpinning it.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 18:39   #66
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,510
The possibility of giving test status to Ireland and Afghanistan will be given serious discussion at the ICC in April
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 18:43   #67
Hector
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
The possibility of giving test status to Ireland and Afghanistan will be given serious discussion at the ICC in April
Good progress but it looks like they will only be able to play each other and Zimbabwe for the time being.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 18:57   #68
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Good progress but it looks like they will only be able to play each other and Zimbabwe for the time being.
Let's be honest, Ireland would struggle to take most test sides past lunch on the third day. Afghanistan might make it into the fourth day from time to time.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 19:05   #69
Hector
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Let's be honest, Ireland would struggle to take most test sides past lunch on the third day. Afghanistan might make it into the fourth day from time to time.
Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Why shouldnt Ireland and Afghanistan be given the opportunity to see how they get on against the likes of Zimbabwe, the West Indies and Bangladesh? How are these countries going to improve if they never get the chance to play better sides?

Ireland are not helped by having their best players poached by England and then ditched in fairly quick time. (Morgan aside) This will only continue if the Irish provincial structure can stop players drifting to the county championship. The lure of test cricket would be a helpful leg-up.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 19:48   #70
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Why shouldnt Ireland and Afghanistan be given the opportunity to see how they get on against the likes of Zimbabwe, the West Indies and Bangladesh? How are these countries going to improve if they never get the chance to play better sides?

Ireland are not helped by having their best players poached by England and then ditched in fairly quick time. (Morgan aside) This will only continue if the Irish provincial structure can stop players drifting to the county championship. The lure of test cricket would be a helpful leg-up.
Comes back to that phrase 'growing the game.' Can't think of another sport that restricts participation in the same way cricket does. If Ireland had been given Test status ten years then they would be a much better side than what they are now.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 20:01   #71
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Comes back to that phrase 'growing the game.' Can't think of another sport that restricts participation in the same way cricket does. If Ireland had been given Test status ten years then they would be a much better side than what they are now.
They had to wait until they developed a fully funded first class domestic competition. You can't just rely on counties picking the players up and developing them.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 22:53   #72
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Let's be honest, Ireland would struggle to take most test sides past lunch on the third day. Afghanistan might make it into the fourth day from time to time.
And was that any different for New Zealand, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka.

The current Ireland setup are nearly all Irish, unlike in previous incarnations when they were reliant on Aussie or Saffer imports like Trent Johnston. In fact, the emerging Ireland pace bowlers is really exciting - Joshua Little, Peter Chase, Rory Anders and Tyrone Kane. These are the best prospects in my lifetime.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 17:00   #73
Hector
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
And was that any different for New Zealand, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka.

The current Ireland setup are nearly all Irish, unlike in previous incarnations when they were reliant on Aussie or Saffer imports like Trent Johnston. In fact, the emerging Ireland pace bowlers is really exciting - Joshua Little, Peter Chase, Rory Anders and Tyrone Kane. These are the best prospects in my lifetime.
This represents decent progress and is easily missed unless people dig a bit deeper into Irish cricket.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 17:58   #74
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Comes back to that phrase 'growing the game.' Can't think of another sport that restricts participation in the same way cricket does. If Ireland had been given Test status ten years then they would be a much better side than what they are now.
It's not just about giving them the status though. You need to compel countries to play them.

When was the last time England played Zimbabwe? Or Australia played Bangladesh?

International cricket needs a league system if only to sort it's terrible lop-sided fixture lists. Since Australia last played Zimbabwe or Bangladesh we've had more 5 test match Ashes series than the number of tests Australia have played against either side since they became Full Members.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 14:03   #75
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
It's not just about giving them the status though. You need to compel countries to play them.

When was the last time England played Zimbabwe? Or Australia played Bangladesh?
Australia have disgracefully only played a series against Bangladesh twice, the most "recent" being 05/06. England do boast 10 Tests against Bangladesh, both England and Australia playing two match series, but even that's not a lot.

England tend to play Bangladesh twice in the space of 1-2 years then not again for a fair few. Can't really blame them. Zimbabwe are harder to sit in judgement on England and the aussies, a shell of the side that was doing so well around the turn of the century among other issues.

England have played them in three series, two Tests per series but none since 2003. Australia again have snubbed them even more, but ironically have played them more recently if only slightly more so.

Pretty bad that England and Australia have played Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in a combined total of TWENTY THREE Tests with one of those sides a Test nation since the early nineties, the other since the very early noughties. They (E & A) have played each other 25 times in Tests since and including 2009, SIXTY SEVEN times since Zimbabwe became a Test nation and FORTY FIVE times since Bangladesh became a Test nation.

You might not expect them to play Bangladesh as much, even combined, but that's over three times as many Tests England vs Australia as combined by them vs Bangladesh

Then again records of :

ENG 9-1 BAN
AUS 4-0 BAN
AUS 3-0 ZIM
ENG 3-0 ZIM

hardly make the case for playing them, 19-1 in terms of wins in favour of England and Australia, three draws (all ENG vs ZIM, despite having "murdered them" allegedly in one )

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
International cricket needs a league system if only to sort it's terrible lop-sided fixture lists. Since Australia last played Zimbabwe or Bangladesh we've had more 5 test match Ashes series than the number of tests Australia have played against either side since they became Full Members.
Totally agree, the structure is still stuck in the 19th century with sides playing who they want, when they want, and how much they want.

No point 'promoting' any more sides, the latest two struggle to pass as a Test nation. Sure Bangladesh humbled England this winter, have lost every Test since and won only EIGHT Tests out of what will be 100 next Test, five of those over Zimbabwe (since that side became unviable) and a couple over a second string West Indies side.

Had they gone on from beating England to draw a Test that might be deemed "progress", but for any perceived or actual progress they haven't turned out anything resembling decent results - 15 draws not nearly enough, not when you've lost over 76% of your Tests.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 14:22   #76
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,673
I'd suggest with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe unable to compete at Test level, and with Afghanistan proving a pain in Ireland's rear in LOIs, there's more case than ever for tiers.

Since losing in an ODI series to UAE in 14/15 Afghanistan have beaten Zimbabwe 3-2 three times, Scotland 1-0, and narrowly lost to Bangladesh 1-2 with a draw in there 2-2 against Ireland.

Ireland on the flip side seem to have regressed somewhat, a 2-0 win over UAE to provide some symmetry their first ODI series win since beating Scotland 2-0 in 2014 and whilst they have pitted themselves against Test nations, they've even lost to Zimbabwe!

Maybe too much is made of World Cup "shocks", Kenya back in the 90s and 00s caused an upset or two, maybe they would have progressed had they and not Bangladesh been made a Test team, but one thing is certain that Bangladesh have struggled and Zimbabwe have before them, in no small part because of the situation in Zimbabwe, so the last Test nation to make itself competitive long term was/is Sri Lanka - and it took them what, 11 years?

Maybe instead of sticking with a piecemeal approach to Test cricket those who fear what tiers might take away should look at what it might bring, a level of cricket that weaker cricket nations might be able to sustain......

Playing an odd ODI here and there, losing most of them, and hoping to get as many cricketers playing in a decent league as possible plus signing up a few mercs has not really worked. Sure Ireland have been there or thereabouts for what, a decade now, but they are unable to take the final step because the level they need to attain is too high.

It would be like rewarding Lincoln City for their cup run by dumping them in the Premier League or even the Championship, way too tough for them, they'd simply slide right back down. Even sides that get promoted through 46 games a season can struggle at the higher level, they need games at the right level to build themselves up and once they're "too good" for that level then it reduces the risk of dropping straight back down again.

At the moment Ireland, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are all struggling in their own predicaments, makes so much sense that they play each other rather than trying to one up on each other. Throw in West Indies and Scotland, Holland or some other team or two, and you'd have more competition than any can hope to sustain against the big guns.

Ultimately promoting Ireland or Afghanistan to Test cricket would see them play little cricket, get beat a lot and the only games they likely wouldn't get crushed in would be the games against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.............
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 14:30   #77
Hector
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
I'd suggest with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe unable to compete at Test level, and with Afghanistan proving a pain in Ireland's rear in LOIs, there's more case than ever for tiers.

Since losing in an ODI series to UAE in 14/15 Afghanistan have beaten Zimbabwe 3-2 three times, Scotland 1-0, and narrowly lost to Bangladesh 1-2 with a draw in there 2-2 against Ireland.

Ireland on the flip side seem to have regressed somewhat, a 2-0 win over UAE to provide some symmetry their first ODI series win since beating Scotland 2-0 in 2014 and whilst they have pitted themselves against Test nations, they've even lost to Zimbabwe!

Maybe too much is made of World Cup "shocks", Kenya back in the 90s and 00s caused an upset or two, maybe they would have progressed had they and not Bangladesh been made a Test team, but one thing is certain that Bangladesh have struggled and Zimbabwe have before them, in no small part because of the situation in Zimbabwe, so the last Test nation to make itself competitive long term was/is Sri Lanka - and it took them what, 11 years?

Maybe instead of sticking with a piecemeal approach to Test cricket those who fear what tiers might take away should look at what it might bring, a level of cricket that weaker cricket nations might be able to sustain......

Playing an odd ODI here and there, losing most of them, and hoping to get as many cricketers playing in a decent league as possible plus signing up a few mercs has not really worked. Sure Ireland have been there or thereabouts for what, a decade now, but they are unable to take the final step because the level they need to attain is too high.

It would be like rewarding Lincoln City for their cup run by dumping them in the Premier League or even the Championship, way too tough for them, they'd simply slide right back down. Even sides that get promoted through 46 games a season can struggle at the higher level, they need games at the right level to build themselves up and once they're "too good" for that level then it reduces the risk of dropping straight back down again.

At the moment Ireland, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are all struggling in their own predicaments, makes so much sense that they play each other rather than trying to one up on each other. Throw in West Indies and Scotland, Holland or some other team or two, and you'd have more competition than any can hope to sustain against the big guns.

Ultimately promoting Ireland or Afghanistan to Test cricket would see them play little cricket, get beat a lot and the only games they likely wouldn't get crushed in would be the games against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.............
This is where the Full Member status arguably is failing though. Ireland seem to be striving for test cricket whereas Afghanistan seem happier to succeed in limited overs cricket. So neither can achieve full member status as they cant cut the mustard in all 3 formats.
Afghanistan are a team on the up in 50 and 20 over cricket (the latter in particular) and with their players getting contracts in the likes of the CPL and the IPL they are going to improve further to the point where they could probably challenge the lower ranked teams in limited overs cricket.
Ireland seem to perform better on the bigger stage (i.e the World Cup) and dont seem to gave been able to translate that 50 over form into the 20 over format. But it is a vicious circle for them. Had they been able to keep Morgan then they may have been able to build a better team around him. Until they get further along the tree then they will always face this problem, particularly in pursuit of test cricket.
Afghanistan's problem is that they will hardly get a game against a full member that isnt Zimbabwe cos they dont have FM status which they wont get unless they improve to a reasonable standard in the longest format which they dont seem that interested in.

The FM system is archaic and not serving the game properly, particularly in the T20 age that we now live in.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 14:36   #78
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,743
The Afghan domestic system has been given first class status so they must have some interest. I expect both teams to get Test status pretty soon, teams touring England and the UAE can use them as warm ups for the full series so I think they will get enough games. Zimbabwe you can basically write off completely while Mugabe is still alive, if not permanently. Bangladesh are almost there now, certainly at home. It's taken them 15-20 years which compared to some of the new Test nations throughout history isn't that long. I think trying to get a couple of new teams involved is a positive move.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 14:48   #79
Hector
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
The Afghan domestic system has been given first class status so they must have some interest. I expect both teams to get Test status pretty soon, teams touring England and the UAE can use them as warm ups for the full series so I think they will get enough games. Zimbabwe you can basically write off completely while Mugabe is still alive, if not permanently. Bangladesh are almost there now, certainly at home. It's taken them 15-20 years which compared to some of the new Test nations throughout history isn't that long. I think trying to get a couple of new teams involved is a positive move.
Indeed, but i still think you've got two teams whose highest priorities are different in terms of where they want to succeed. The success of Afghan players getting T20 contracts, particularly in the IPL, may underline that further.

Ireland have a big summer ahead of them in terms of 2 games against an understrength England, a home tri-series with WI and NZ and a further ODI against the WI in Sept at home.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 21:39   #80
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,510
Getting a pasting from the Afghans in the intercontinental cup.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:13.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org