Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2018, 09:44   #321
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hanging Monkey View Post
Glossop today for Derbyshire seconds vs Yorkshire seconds.

Yorkshire made 400 odd yesterday, Derbyshire were 70-3 in reply until a superb stand of about 200 rescued them. They declared 70 odd behind around 5 pm, at which point I had to leave. I think I'm going back for the final day tomorrow.

Nice ground...a new one for me. Full bar on plus catering, which was good. Decent attendance, about 200 ish at a guess. Cracking weather too!
Very nice.
paulsre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 10:02   #322
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Given the England calls am surprised Yorkshire can field a second team. Must have some very young players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
However big you are you can only have so many players on your books.
Clubs rarely, if ever, field a 2nd team made up entirely from players on their payroll. Many who fill in are on trial, very possibly because they've asked for the chance to play, or a good club players hoping to break into the pro game or simply willing to turn up - they may even play once only, or once ever. I get the 2nd XI annual every year and some people play for as many as 5 counties. The smaller counties in particular rely on the goodwill of these itinerant players to field a team.

Just glancing at this game, Yorkshire's wicketkeeper is Saf Imtiaz, who was formerly with Essex, now on the MCC YC scheme and has also played for Worcestershire this season. Derbyshire had Chesney Hughes back, former Leicestershire player Jamie Sykes, Tom Brett, who last played first-class cricket for Northants 7 years ago, Sam Arthurton, who has been around various 2s for some years, and Grant Thornton, who played for Warwickshire last year.

These guys are a bit similar to actors working for a small theatre company, as they must give up a lot of their time for little or no money, with little prospect of fame, but without them 2s cricket could not function.
paulsre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 14:07   #323
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Clubs rarely, if ever, field a 2nd team made up entirely from players on their payroll. Many who fill in are on trial, very possibly because they've asked for the chance to play, or a good club players hoping to break into the pro game or simply willing to turn up - they may even play once only, or once ever. I get the 2nd XI annual every year and some people play for as many as 5 counties. The smaller counties in particular rely on the goodwill of these itinerant players to field a team.

Just glancing at this game, Yorkshire's wicketkeeper is Saf Imtiaz, who was formerly with Essex, now on the MCC YC scheme and has also played for Worcestershire this season. Derbyshire had Chesney Hughes back, former Leicestershire player Jamie Sykes, Tom Brett, who last played first-class cricket for Northants 7 years ago, Sam Arthurton, who has been around various 2s for some years, and Grant Thornton, who played for Warwickshire last year.

These guys are a bit similar to actors working for a small theatre company, as they must give up a lot of their time for little or no money, with little prospect of fame, but without them 2s cricket could not function.
Ooo, where from?! I like the sound of that book!

The Minor Counties likely supply players occasionally as well.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 17:56   #324
The Hanging Monkey
Club Cricketer
 
The Hanging Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Huddersfield
Team(s): Durham
Posts: 132
Glossop again today, smaller crowd but the bar was open and food was still available. The game was petering out into a dull draw so I left at around four.
The Hanging Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 18:03   #325
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Clubs rarely, if ever, field a 2nd team made up entirely from players on their payroll. Many who fill in are on trial, very possibly because they've asked for the chance to play, or a good club players hoping to break into the pro game or simply willing to turn up - they may even play once only, or once ever. I get the 2nd XI annual every year and some people play for as many as 5 counties. The smaller counties in particular rely on the goodwill of these itinerant players to field a team.

Just glancing at this game, Yorkshire's wicketkeeper is Saf Imtiaz, who was formerly with Essex, now on the MCC YC scheme and has also played for Worcestershire this season. Derbyshire had Chesney Hughes back, former Leicestershire player Jamie Sykes, Tom Brett, who last played first-class cricket for Northants 7 years ago, Sam Arthurton, who has been around various 2s for some years, and Grant Thornton, who played for Warwickshire last year.

These guys are a bit similar to actors working for a small theatre company, as they must give up a lot of their time for little or no money, with little prospect of fame, but without them 2s cricket could not function.
Three of Sussex's best players were trialists originally, Archer, Robinson and Burgess. You never know what you can unearth.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 20:37   #326
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Ooo, where from?! I like the sound of that book!

The Minor Counties likely supply players occasionally as well.
The seconds annual has been produced by the ACS for the last 34 years. They have an online shop at www.acscricket.com although some county shops stock them. I always used to buy mine at Lord's, Chelmsford or Hove. Back numbers often available at Taunton and Hove.

The itinerant play 'for five counties' is relatively new, mainly players who haven't made with their own county doing the tour of smaller counties. Mattie McKiernan is a current example. Ex-Lancs age groups and academy released, been on trial at several other counties to no avail, was contracted to Cumberland but just been released from that as Derby given him T20 contract. Good player at MC level. Played for a good few county 2nds: Lancs, Hants, Derby, Durham, Leics, Unicorns at least.

Having said that's relatively new, I suspect Charlie Dagnell holds the record but maybe not in the same season.

Works both ways with the MC set up. Was listening to Cumberland Staffs commentary yesterday. Staffs have a kind of arrangement with Warwickshire. Latter happy for Mellor to play MC cricket, also it enables the county sides to keep tabs on released academy players who may be late developers.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 14:34   #327
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The seconds annual has been produced by the ACS for the last 34 years. They have an online shop at www.acscricket.com although some county shops stock them. I always used to buy mine at Lord's, Chelmsford or Hove. Back numbers often available at Taunton and Hove.

The itinerant play 'for five counties' is relatively new, mainly players who haven't made with their own county doing the tour of smaller counties. Mattie McKiernan is a current example. Ex-Lancs age groups and academy released, been on trial at several other counties to no avail, was contracted to Cumberland but just been released from that as Derby given him T20 contract. Good player at MC level. Played for a good few county 2nds: Lancs, Hants, Derby, Durham, Leics, Unicorns at least.

Having said that's relatively new, I suspect Charlie Dagnell holds the record but maybe not in the same season.

Works both ways with the MC set up. Was listening to Cumberland Staffs commentary yesterday. Staffs have a kind of arrangement with Warwickshire. Latter happy for Mellor to play MC cricket, also it enables the county sides to keep tabs on released academy players who may be late developers.
Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

Yes, there's a similar link between Berkshire and Middlesex and something between Somerset and Devon too.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 14:54   #328
Essexfan
County 2nd Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The seconds annual has been produced by the ACS for the last 34 years. They have an online shop at www.acscricket.com although some county shops stock them. I always used to buy mine at Lord's, Chelmsford or Hove. Back numbers often available at Taunton and Hove.

The itinerant play 'for five counties' is relatively new, mainly players who haven't made with their own county doing the tour of smaller counties. Mattie McKiernan is a current example. Ex-Lancs age groups and academy released, been on trial at several other counties to no avail, was contracted to Cumberland but just been released from that as Derby given him T20 contract. Good player at MC level. Played for a good few county 2nds: Lancs, Hants, Derby, Durham, Leics, Unicorns at least.

Having said that's relatively new, I suspect Charlie Dagnell holds the record but maybe not in the same season.


Works both ways with the MC set up. Was listening to Cumberland Staffs commentary yesterday. Staffs have a kind of arrangement with Warwickshire. Latter happy for Mellor to play MC cricket, also it enables the county sides to keep tabs on released academy players who may be late developers.
I remember this guy about 10 years ago who played for team after team in the 2nd XI managing to play the odd first class game but never lasting anywhere for long and then going to another 2nd XI team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...ter,_born_1985)
Essexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 17:17   #329
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,012
Off to see Hampshire v Sussex in the T20 Blast later. Looking forward to seeing Rashid Khan, Jofra Archer and Mujeeb bowling!
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 19:05   #330
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,012
A bit of post World Cup, post ODI light reading from my trip to the Ageas Bowl two evenings ago:

http://www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpr...nst-the-grain/
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 20:04   #331
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 677
Just on way home from an excellent day at Lord's where a Root century and a first ODI fifty from Willey led to a comprehensive victory. Good to see our spinners outbowling the Indian spinners too. A beautiful sunny day as well.

Just one thought - I left home at 06.25 and will be home at 21.45.... would l do that for the ECB's "hit n'giggle 100"? Of course not....
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 13:08   #332
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,012
At Cheltenham today for the opening day of the festival; a marvellous spot to enjoy some cricket.
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 14:18   #333
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
At Cheltenham today for the opening day of the festival; a marvellous spot to enjoy some cricket.
It is a gorgeous setting. Enjoy, Hector.

Frustrated by the interminable lack of red ball cricket, I was thinking about maybe attending a day of this. Unfortunately, the inflated cost of rail tickets can now make it very difficult for the ordinary cricket supporter to afford such last minute decisions.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 15:15   #334
tony p
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 16
due to fly to uk on wednesday night from perth w aust. about to set out to watch 5 championship matches and 1 kia super league game during my 8 weeks long service leave. will give you a report when i get back home on sept 17th. going to glos v durham at cheltenham, then the ladies game next day. after a week at lytham to watch the womans british open golf i will be at taunton for som v essex, onto colwyn bay for glam v warw, trent bridge for notts v york and finally northants v derby. i may even get the last day of the lords test if it is still going. taunton, colwyn bay and northampton will take me up to 29 first class grounds visited. hoping the weather stays fine.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 11:46   #335
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
It is a gorgeous setting. Enjoy, Hector.

Frustrated by the interminable lack of red ball cricket, I was thinking about maybe attending a day of this. Unfortunately, the inflated cost of rail tickets can now make it very difficult for the ordinary cricket supporter to afford such last minute decisions.
GWR is one of the worst operators for obtaining cheap tickets at short notice. I reckon they withdraw the cheapest prices 7 days ahead of travel even if they haven't sold out as I got stung going to Taunton last year; from cheap fares being available on almost every service the cheapest prices more than doubled overnight.

Try searching for prices by splitting the tickets. There are websites that will flag up the cheapest option if you search for "split train tickets" or similar.

Alternatively look at prices going via Birmingham. It's only 40 minutes from New Street to Cheltenham with a fairly frequent service, and you might get advance single tickets between London and Birmingham for as little as 6 if you're lucky.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 12:35   #336
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
GWR is one of the worst operators for obtaining cheap tickets at short notice. I reckon they withdraw the cheapest prices 7 days ahead of travel even if they haven't sold out as I got stung going to Taunton last year; from cheap fares being available on almost every service the cheapest prices more than doubled overnight.

Try searching for prices by splitting the tickets. There are websites that will flag up the cheapest option if you search for "split train tickets" or similar.

Alternatively look at prices going via Birmingham. It's only 40 minutes from New Street to Cheltenham with a fairly frequent service, and you might get advance single tickets between London and Birmingham for as little as 6 if you're lucky.
Thanks for this, Rich. I'm loathe to commit to advance tickets for cricket journeys (esp away from the South East) given the increased likelihood of bad weather. Turns out Cheltenham was rather drier yesterday than was being hinted at last week.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 12:47   #337
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post

Frustrated by the interminable lack of red ball cricket, I was thinking about maybe attending a day of this.
Red ball first-class match on at The Oval today and tomorrow.
paulsre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 13:08   #338
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Red ball first-class match on at The Oval today and tomorrow.
I know. Doesn't excite, though.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 18:55   #339
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Thanks for this, Rich. I'm loathe to commit to advance tickets for cricket journeys (esp away from the South East) given the increased likelihood of bad weather. Turns out Cheltenham was rather drier yesterday than was being hinted at last week.
For future reference it's always worth checking. If you're prepared to get up stupidly early and be flexible about travel times you could get to Birmingham and back for around 13 quid tomorrow when I checked this morning, plus fare from Brum to Cheltenham.

Basically that route is a better bet than the ostensibly more obvious one from Paddington.

I did Cheltenham as a day trip v Worcestershire in 2010.Booked in advance for the third day and got a bit lucky with a dodgy weather day and a heavy shower at lunchtime punctuating a full day's play. And the visitors ultimately won after Glos declined to enforce the follow on. I saw the venerable Alan Richardson lead a demolition of the host's second innings before Darryl Mitchell supervised a successful chase of a stiff target.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 18:44   #340
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,012
A few thoughts from my trip to Cheltenham a couple of days ago:

http://www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpr...dows-part-one/
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:34.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org