Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2018, 16:54   #1921
luckyluke
Established International
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,328
I’ll take that as a complement coming from you
__________________
Most heartless decision:

In a women's league match in Denmark, a heavily pregnant woman arrived at the crease, and asked for a runner. Her request was denied, on the grounds that her incapacity had not occured during the course of the match.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 18:51   #1922
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,794
If a spinner is dropped for a seam bowler, should we not rename this thread?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 07:22   #1923
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Looks like there is a vacancy for a 2nd T20 spinner.
Or just another bowler...
__________________

Last edited by Jock McTuffnel v3 : 7th July 2018 at 11:45.
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 11:24   #1924
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluke View Post
Iíll take that as a complement coming from you
I assume you mean "compliment".

No names were mentioned. However, if the cap fits...
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 11:46   #1925
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
I assume you mean "compliment".

No names were mentioned. However, if the cap fits...
Come on - we need endless cheering of our brave lads as they soar to 6th in the test rankings.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2018, 20:02   #1926
luckyluke
Established International
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,328
iPhone autocorrect. Apologies

I haven’t got a cap; not lived in Yorkshire that long
__________________
Most heartless decision:

In a women's league match in Denmark, a heavily pregnant woman arrived at the crease, and asked for a runner. Her request was denied, on the grounds that her incapacity had not occured during the course of the match.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 17:10   #1927
ScottyMuser
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sittingbourne, KENT
Team(s): KENT
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
It is weird.

Lose rashid and we lose someone who can take wickets and lose ali the side looks unbalanced and we lose his remarkably good economy. Let's just enjoy both.
what "remarkably good economy" - his economy over the past 2.5 years of ODI cricket (IMO a reasonable way of basing stats given the change in the game over the same period) is 5.26 - Rashid's at 5.38 is only 0.12 runs higher (or 1.2 runs in a game if they both their full 10 overs) - and if we compare it to all 26 spinners who have taken at least 20 wickets in that period, Ali's is the 21st best (i.e. 6th worst) and Rashid'd 24th. The difference is due to their SR, if both bowled 10 overs, Ali's would go for 53 runs and a wicket, and Rashid's 54 and 2 - based on Ali's worst SR in the world of 57.9 of these 26, and Rashid's SR of 30.8 (8th best).
ScottyMuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 22:58   #1928
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyMuser View Post
what "remarkably good economy" - his economy over the past 2.5 years of ODI cricket (IMO a reasonable way of basing stats given the change in the game over the same period) is 5.26 - Rashid's at 5.38 is only 0.12 runs higher (or 1.2 runs in a game if they both their full 10 overs) - and if we compare it to all 26 spinners who have taken at least 20 wickets in that period, Ali's is the 21st best (i.e. 6th worst) and Rashid'd 24th. The difference is due to their SR, if both bowled 10 overs, Ali's would go for 53 runs and a wicket, and Rashid's 54 and 2 - based on Ali's worst SR in the world of 57.9 of these 26, and Rashid's SR of 30.8 (8th best).
In this 2.5 years how many runs have these other spinners scored? I assume they also scored a couple of the fastest ever tons for their country?

A match defining spell from moeen today which was superbly backed up by rashid. Going at four am over when the oppo need 7 and removing the best in the world. I nice little feather in moeen's cap today. Good man.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 10:56   #1929
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,149
I think we were due a good performance from Ali with the ball. Hopefully, we'll get one with the bat soon as well.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 22:58   #1930
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
I think we were due a good performance from Ali with the ball. Hopefully, we'll get one with the bat soon as well.
Huh? He was excellent against Australia with the ball, easily our best bowler. He was poor with the bat though.
AJ101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 15:30   #1931
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 830 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,866
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...a-heroics.html

Yorkshire asked Rashid to reconsider his stance ahead of the Roses match and when he refused they instead went and signed Warwickshire leg-spinner Josh Poysden on loan for a single match. The message could not be clearer.

They have offered the Bradford-born Rashid a new contract but it remains on the table and the talk in cricket is that he wants to join his close friend Moeen Ali at Worcestershire - on a white-ball deal only, of course.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 15:46   #1932
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...a-heroics.html

Yorkshire asked Rashid to reconsider his stance ahead of the Roses match and when he refused they instead went and signed Warwickshire leg-spinner Josh Poysden on loan for a single match. The message could not be clearer.

They have offered the Bradford-born Rashid a new contract but it remains on the table and the talk in cricket is that he wants to join his close friend Moeen Ali at Worcestershire - on a white-ball deal only, of course.
Meh - what a waste of a talent.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 16:24   #1933
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 830 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Meh - what a waste of a talent.
I think he doesn't like standing in the field for days, especially early season when he wouldn't be bowling much.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 16:58   #1934
Prince of Denmark
International Material
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
I think he doesn't like standing in the field for days, especially early season when he wouldn't be bowling much.
He's a Championship level all-rounder. What about all the specialist batsmen who have to stand around in the field all day!
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 17:13   #1935
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,791
I'm a Rashid fan and his ball to Kohli was very good but it's a stretch to call it 'the best Kohli must have ever faced' or whatever it is Paul Newman wrote. Newman really is terrible. I think the horse has bolted when it comes to Adil and Tests, we had the chance to give him a go at home but picked Dawson instead.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 17:27   #1936
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,149
Yes, probably a little late now to undo some earlier, very poor decision making by the ECB re Rashid.

I'm convinced he could have been even more of an asset to us in red ball cricket than he is in white ball.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 17:34   #1937
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 830 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
He's a Championship level all-rounder. What about all the specialist batsmen who have to stand around in the field all day!
Well that was one of his reasons for preferring white ball cricket. I found it strange.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 09:02   #1938
luckyluke
Established International
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,328
Fits in with the narrative of him being a bit of a shirker
__________________
Most heartless decision:

In a women's league match in Denmark, a heavily pregnant woman arrived at the crease, and asked for a runner. Her request was denied, on the grounds that her incapacity had not occured during the course of the match.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 09:53   #1939
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Yes, probably a little late now to undo some earlier, very poor decision making by the ECB re Rashid.

I'm convinced he could have been even more of an asset to us in red ball cricket than he is in white ball.
I thought he was dropped from the test side because Root didn't want him.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 10:03   #1940
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,794
I think it's also a stretch to suggest he's a wasted talent at test level. Although he may not have got the run he perhaps deserved, he hardly pulled up trees. And there are plenty of very good wrist spinners at one day level who are unsuited to the longer format. Rashid fits that mould, I'm afraid, and has made a sensible decision for all concerned, focusing on the more important formats of the game to him.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:35.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org