Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2008, 14:54   #41
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,634
3.4 million is a staggering amount to pay for a test match. Let's assume the game goes for 4 days (since the 5th day is cheaper). That's a total of 60,000 people. Let's say hospitality and catering make a 1m. That means you'd need to make 2.4 from ticket sales just to break even 40 a ticket will allow you to break even but surely you will need to have them higher than that. If the tickets were 50 on average then you'd make 3m which would only give you 600,000 for the cost of staging the game. If you look at the figures for recepits for test matches in recent years no ground even Lords makes 3m.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:01   #42
A Newbie
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,613
You're right, it is a huge amount and it is hard to work out how they will get the amount.

But, if each ticket is 50 then to get 3.4million, you would need to sell 68,000 tickets in 4 days.

Incidentally, what % of staging a Test goes to the County in question?
A Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:31   #43
High Druid Nathan Barley
Posting God
 
High Druid Nathan Barley's Avatar
Don't look at me with those freak show eyes
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Shrewsbury
Team(s): Essex, Southend
Age: 41
Posts: 12,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Popodopolous View Post
I won't be supporting it because of my regional identiy being eroded if that happens. I'll be a hypocrite then because I will still go to the Bristol City v Cardiff games as well as other games and join in with all the songs as I do now.
So you won't go and watch a game of cricket because it'll make you look silly for singing rude, infantile and brainless songs at a football game?
__________________
Then one day it happened, she cut her hair and I stopped loving her.

Self defence is not simply about punching someone repeatedly in the face until they're unconscious, is it?

She took all I had and then she fed me dirt.
High Druid Nathan Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:34   #44
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
So you won't go and watch a game of cricket because it'll make you look silly for singing rude, infantile and brainless songs at a football game?
Oh, sh*t I didn't know that was the score. I sung some horrible things at Cardiff-Charlton and I've supported Glamorgan at Sophia Gardens since. Am I a *******?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:35   #45
Si
International Cricketer
 
Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 2,091
Well it's not just the amount of money that they take from tickets, this oppurtunity i imagine brings income to the local tourist industry, hotels, restaurants etc. therefore i'm sure the original bid was backed by the welsh assembly. Also, i'm sure the kudos of an ashes test has brought sponsorship and they've been making headway in that department this season.
__________________
"My theory is that every time a batsman plays and misses he should be asked to take off one piece of protective clothing of the bowler's choice."
Michael Kasprowicz takes a novel approach in the plan to contain batsmen
Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:05   #46
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
3.4 million is a staggering amount to pay for a test match. Let's assume the game goes for 4 days (since the 5th day is cheaper). That's a total of 60,000 people. Let's say hospitality and catering make a 1m. That means you'd need to make 2.4 from ticket sales just to break even 40 a ticket will allow you to break even but surely you will need to have them higher than that. If the tickets were 50 on average then you'd make 3m which would only give you 600,000 for the cost of staging the game. If you look at the figures for recepits for test matches in recent years no ground even Lords makes 3m.
But 600,000 > 0,you get the huge boost to the local tourist industry and Glamorgan have got a new ground out of it - which they will use for bids for future internationals. Its a bargain isnt it?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:09   #47
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,634
But my point is that it costs money to stage the game. Electricity, gas, water, bar staff, stewards, etc. Who puts that money up the club or the ECB? I'd guess the club.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:16   #48
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Club pays all costs.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 22:58   #49
A Newbie
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
So you won't go and watch a game of cricket because it'll make you look silly for singing rude, infantile and brainless songs at a football game?
No I won't, because it would take away my regional identity to go and watch a combined Wales/South West team. Regional identity is why people in the West Country should vote for the Wessex Party in the National Elections.

And it's not rude, silly or infantile...lots of the crowd did it at the last game and it was in tune too.

Namely:

Always **** on, the Welsh, side of the Bridge

Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do

And then whistled, to the tune of the Bright Side of Life.

It's all part of the fun of the fair you see.
A Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 23:28   #50
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Popodopolous View Post
No I won't, because it would take away my regional identity to go and watch a combined Wales/South West team. Regional identity is why people in the West Country should vote for the Wessex Party in the National Elections.

And it's not rude, silly or infantile...lots of the crowd did it at the last game and it was in tune too.

Namely:

Always **** on, the Welsh, side of the Bridge

Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do

And then whistled, to the tune of the Bright Side of Life.

It's all part of the fun of the fair you see.
I'm sure Nathan didn't get it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 10:47   #51
High Druid Nathan Barley
Posting God
 
High Druid Nathan Barley's Avatar
Don't look at me with those freak show eyes
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Shrewsbury
Team(s): Essex, Southend
Age: 41
Posts: 12,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Popodopolous View Post
No I won't, because it would take away my regional identity to go and watch a combined Wales/South West team. Regional identity is why people in the West Country should vote for the Wessex Party in the National Elections.
Don't you find having such a tight sense of identity rather restrictive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Popodopolous View Post
And it's not rude, silly or infantile...lots of the crowd did it at the last game and it was in tune too.

Namely:

Always **** on, the Welsh, side of the Bridge

Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do

And then whistled, to the tune of the Bright Side of Life.
Quite how this song disproves my point in any way is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Popodopolous View Post
It's all part of the fun of the fair you see.
Fun fairs are somewhat of a misnomer are they not? Some pikey giving you an inflatable hammer for the fortune of throwing 3 of their wonky darts into playing cards is not my definition of fun.
__________________
Then one day it happened, she cut her hair and I stopped loving her.

Self defence is not simply about punching someone repeatedly in the face until they're unconscious, is it?

She took all I had and then she fed me dirt.
High Druid Nathan Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 00:42   #52
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,337
Balls. I finally get the time and the money to go and see Glamorgan tomorrow and what do they do? Well they decide to play at Colwyn Bay of course. Bloody hell. How selfish is that. What's a zebra to do now?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 13:18   #53
3hard
International Material
 
3hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Adelaide
Team(s): The mighty redbacks.
Posts: 1,892
Gillespie bowled well in the last match - why did he get dropped?
__________________
Quote:
"Yet your argument is that of a retarded 11 year old, who is also crippled."
3hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:14   #54
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,337
Harris has been dropped today as well. Maybe they're both feeling the strain?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 17:55   #55
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hard View Post
Gillespie bowled well in the last match - why did he get dropped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65daysofzebras View Post
Harris has been dropped today as well. Maybe they're both feeling the strain?
Both injured, I think.

Good innings from Dalrymple so far
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 06:24   #56
3hard
International Material
 
3hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Adelaide
Team(s): The mighty redbacks.
Posts: 1,892
I now see that Gillespie has a hamstring injury and Harris has been called up to the under 19 squad. Thanks anyway Rey.
__________________
Quote:
"Yet your argument is that of a retarded 11 year old, who is also crippled."
3hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 14:23   #57
Si
International Cricketer
 
Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 2,091
4fer for Shantry he's going well.
__________________
"My theory is that every time a batsman plays and misses he should be asked to take off one piece of protective clothing of the bowler's choice."
Michael Kasprowicz takes a novel approach in the plan to contain batsmen
Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:43   #58
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,309
Matthew Wood retires

http://www.glamorgancricket.com/news...p?news_id=1745
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:58   #59
Dpressed
International Material
 
Dpressed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 1,220
Wood's retirement is a shame ... but after he failed to make the team at Glamorgan not exactly unexpected. Wood attended one of the Scarborough matches with his wife & kid(s?) & reputedly said he wasn;t happy with the Glammy set up. Matthew was batsman who looked good on his day but 'lost it' along the way ... the 'good year' 'bad year' sequence didn't help.
Dpressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 07:39   #60
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,337
Glamorgan's pitch has been declared poor after Monday's match against Essex where Donkey Kong took 4-16. Maynard ain't happy and says it's because of anti-Ashes test backlash which by the way I might be joining as every hotel in the area is booked up for my graduation because of this bloody Ashes test match.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:29.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org