Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2011, 00:04   #141
chris
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
Team(s): Kent and England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Is Hockley the one who failed, was released, then resigned - and failed again?
That's the one. He scored mountains of runs in the Kent League after being released the first time, did nothing for Kent, so has gone back to scoring mountains of runs in the Kent League again. He scored his big double off an attack comprising Alamgir Sheriyar (remember him?), can't see him getting a third chance though, even with this seasons woes.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 12:08   #142
chris
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
Team(s): Kent and England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,268
A much better match this weekend for Kent. Big runs for Denly, Key and Northeast - it's about time to be honest. A bit of a late collapse, but plenty of runs on the board and now we've bowled Leicestershire out and have enforced the follow on. 5 wickets apiece for Tredwell and Matt Coles.

Good to see both senior players and youngsters standing up to be counted here, hopefully we can push for the victory with a few more wickets today. A catalyst for the rest of the season? Probably not, but a good performance so far nonetheless.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:35   #143
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,409
Surely Kent can't lose this can they??
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 13:19   #144
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Surely Kent can't lose this can they??
The Nevill is usually a pretty good fourth day pitch. Then again, Kent have been a pretty lousy fourth innings team these past 18 months. But, I'm reasonably confident that they'll make these without too many palpitations.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 23:11   #145
chris
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
Team(s): Kent and England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
The Nevill is usually a pretty good fourth day pitch. Then again, Kent have been a pretty lousy fourth innings team these past 18 months. But, I'm reasonably confident that they'll make these without too many palpitations.
I'm glad with the mini-collapse at the end that the target wasn't 50 more. However hopefully this can kickstart the season, especially with the top 3.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:38   #146
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
What a relief - a win is a win, and be thankful for small mercies!
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 12:42   #147
chris
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
Team(s): Kent and England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,268
From 0 overseas players to 2 in a week! Wahab Riaz to join Kent subject to ironing out no objection certificate and visa issues. Hopefully will be a good signing, will certainly give us extra bite to what is a fairly weak bowling attack.

http://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news-bl...ign-wahab-riaz
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 18:13   #148
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,728
Geraint Jones' batting form has been very modest this year. Surely if he had a challenger he'd be fighting to keep his place?
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 19:22   #149
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Geraint Jones' batting form has been very modest this year. Surely if he had a challenger he'd be fighting to keep his place?
Ditto Denly. Unfortunately, the squad is so tiny, injury-prone and inexperienced, there are few reasonable alternatives. And, with the rate of injuries, I shall be taking my plimsolls along to Canterbury next week.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 20:12   #150
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,728
I remember a couple of years back at Canterbury how you illustrated to me that Jones had carved a good niche for Kent post-England as no-nonsense upper-order batsman.

Now maybe his career is approaching its end? Has he lost his hunger?
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 20:17   #151
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,668
I thought he carved a niche out farming and supplying food for the catering at Canterbury.

He could also go back to Pharmacy...
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 20:46   #152
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
I remember a couple of years back at Canterbury how you illustrated to me that Jones had carved a good niche for Kent post-England as no-nonsense upper-order batsman.

Now maybe his career is approaching its end? Has he lost his hunger?
There's been a malaise amongst almost all of Kent's top order, this year and last. Just four years ago, Kent were rated by many judges as possessing the best batting line up in the country; in 2007, they made more individual hundreds than any other First Division team and accrued the second highest haul of batting points. Five of the Top Six from that season are still present in the current side; one can understand a couple of players losing form as the years roll on but five, all of different ages and stages in their careers?

Kent diehards have puzzled long and hard as to the cause of this general decline (the standing joke on the fans' message board is that Kent's default score is 116-6). Is there something rotten in the state of Canterbury, ie has the club's wobbling financial condition, and the consequent inability to add to the squad, led to widespread demoralisation? There may be something in that but, pro sportsmen are a tough individual breed and will always strive to succeed despite difficult surrounding conditions.

One theory I've been musing over is whether the changes in rolling conditions have left the batting techniques of Kent's top order badly exposed. The Top Six earned its reputation during the second half of the last decade, when there were generally a lot of very flat, run-filled pitches around the circuit. Canterbury, where 7/16 of their cricket is played, has been a pretty benign surface for some years. However, there were the odd occasions when they encountered sporty wickets and were blown away fairly swiftly - I particularly remember the 92 all out at Liverpool in 2009 when they needed just 163 to win. Of course, the new conditions are the same for every county...I'm not looking to make any excuses, rather to suggest that Kent's top order maybe isn't as thoroughly robust as some of the other line ups around...and it's only now that it's become apparent?
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 13:36   #153
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,728
Then, in August, Kent suddenly woke up and realised the cricket season had started.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 14:18   #154
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
There's been a malaise amongst almost all of Kent's top order, this year and last. Just four years ago, Kent were rated by many judges as possessing the best batting line up in the country; in 2007, they made more individual hundreds than any other First Division team and accrued the second highest haul of batting points. Five of the Top Six from that season are still present in the current side; one can understand a couple of players losing form as the years roll on but five, all of different ages and stages in their careers?

Kent diehards have puzzled long and hard as to the cause of this general decline (the standing joke on the fans' message board is that Kent's default score is 116-6). Is there something rotten in the state of Canterbury, ie has the club's wobbling financial condition, and the consequent inability to add to the squad, led to widespread demoralisation? There may be something in that but, pro sportsmen are a tough individual breed and will always strive to succeed despite difficult surrounding conditions.

One theory I've been musing over is whether the changes in rolling conditions have left the batting techniques of Kent's top order badly exposed. The Top Six earned its reputation during the second half of the last decade, when there were generally a lot of very flat, run-filled pitches around the circuit. Canterbury, where 7/16 of their cricket is played, has been a pretty benign surface for some years. However, there were the odd occasions when they encountered sporty wickets and were blown away fairly swiftly - I particularly remember the 92 all out at Liverpool in 2009 when they needed just 163 to win. Of course, the new conditions are the same for every county...I'm not looking to make any excuses, rather to suggest that Kent's top order maybe isn't as thoroughly robust as some of the other line ups around...and it's only now that it's become apparent?
I wouldnt think having so many out of contract and likely to leave is helping much either.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 16:54   #155
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,075
Will Geraint Jones spend the entire 2012 season up to the stumps?

Kent have just signed Charlie Shreck, who'll complement the raw pace of Darren Stevens and Simon Cook nicely.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 16:57   #156
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Will Geraint Jones spend the entire 2012 season up to the stumps?

Kent have just signed Charlie Shreck, who'll complement the raw pace of Darren Stevens and Simon Cook nicely.
It works though - just look at David Masters.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:20   #157
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
It works though - just look at David Masters.
They make Masters look sharp.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 21:58   #158
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,728
Kent have reappointed Rob Key as captain for the 2012 season.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:16   #159
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Kent have reappointed Rob Key as captain for the 2012 season.
I believe this means he's Kent's longest serving captain since Colin Cowdrey. Now, if he can just remain in post for a further 7 years, we might win the Championship.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 09:56   #160
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,728
http://tonyquarrington.wordpress.com...e-season-ends/
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:59.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org