Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2017, 08:07   #1
dinkey007
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Ten Fastest Bowlers In Cricket History

Cricket is third most watched real group activity in the behind Football and Rugby and cricket is taking care of business when a quick bowler running in at full speed and threatening batsmen. In spite of the fact that seeing bowlers disturbing batsmen is far and few between these day as cricket has advanced with expansion of shorter arrangement like T20 where Batsman rule bowlers. We investigate a portion of the quickest bowlers in history of cricket.

1. Shoaib Akhtar 161.3 km/h

There are quickest bowlers and than their is Shoaib Akhtar, he consistantly astonished 150 km/h in his vocation but short one and achieved a world record speed amid World Cup 2003 against England when his delivered a 161.3 km/h speed of a bowl to Englah d knick Knight. He turn into the principal bowler to achieve speed of 100 miles a hour in authority ICC coordinate.

2. Brett Lee 161.1 km/h

Alongside Shoaib Akhtar, Australian quick bowler Brett Lee was at the pinnacle of his forces amid his profession and he threatened batsman everywhere throughout the cricketing scene coming to more than 150 km/h reliably. He turned into the second bowler in history to record a 100 miles for every speed amid 2005 ODI diversion against New Zealand when he recorded 161.1 km/h (100.1 miles/ph). Achieving one off top speed is a certain something, yet what made Shoaib Akhtar and Brett Lee the speediest bowlers was the reality they could reliably deliver velocities of around 150 km/h amid their vocations not at all like alternate names in rundown.

3. Shaun Tait 161.1 km/h

Another Australia name in the rundown is Shaun Tait, whos vocation was fleeting yet was fun while it kept going. He was not your normal tall bowler with standard round arm knocking down some pins activity however he could truly hit the deck hard with his pacy and skiddy playing line and length. He recorded 160.7 km/h rocking the bowling alley speed against Pakistan in the ODI amusement in Australia.

4. Jeffrey Thompson 160.6 km/h

Presently this can be dubious on the grounds that its difficult to accept there was sufficiently exact instrument to record knocking down some pins speeds in 1976 however he was certainly the quickest bowlers of his period. Clearly he recorded the speediest knocking down some pins speed in world cricket of 160.6 km/h in the nets in 1976 when a quick rocking the bowling alley study was led.

Numerous batsman of Thompson time trust that he was quicker that Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar. Jeffrey Thompson himself trust that he was the speediest ever and some of his conveyances were path speedier than 160km/h.

5. Andy Roberts 159.5 km/h

Tall West Indies bowler in the brilliant era of West Indies cricket Andy Roberts was a piece of a considerable West Indies knocking down some pins units. They were all quick yet Andy Roberts emerged with his speed and numerous batsman of his era respect him one of the speediest they have ever confronted. His quickest bowl is recorded at the speed of 159.5 km/h which 99.11 miles/h.

6. Fidel Edwards 157.7 km/h

Another West Indies bowler yet from the present harvest, Edwards is frustratingly inconsistant yet he consistantly bowls quick and recorded his speediest conveyance at the speed of 157.7 km/h amid ODI amusement against South Africa in 2003 which sort of put him the spotlight. Yet, since than he has neglected to accomplish the buildup encompassing his speed.

7. Mitchell Johnson 156.8 km/h

Mitchel Johnson profession was going no place yet he turned all around in the late Ashes arrangement in Australia where he tricked English batsman with his crude pace and animosity and recorded his speediest ball at 156.8 kmph in the fourth Ashes test. That arrangement was somewhat defining moment in his profession and now he is broadly viewed as one of the best quick bowlers at present dynamic.

8. Muhammad Sami 156.4 km/h

Another quick bowler another comparative story, a gifted youngman with a short cricket vocation. Muhammad Sami rose to acclaim when Wasim and Waqar resigned. He was geniun quick bowler however regularly missed his line and length in prsuit speed. His speediest bowl was recorded at 156.4 kmph against Zimbabwe in UAE.

9. Shane Bond 156.4 km/h

A versatile fast bowler with smooth run-up and bowling action, Shane Bond was constant threat to batsman all over the world but like many other geniun fast bowlers his career was plagued by injuries but when fit he was quite a sight. He fastest bowl is recorded at 156.2 kmph in South Africa during world cup 2003.

10. Dale Steyn 156.2 km/h

Dale Steyn has been number 1 test bowler for last several years and he is more known for his compact line & length than sheer pace. he record a 155.7 km/h speed against New Zealand in 2009 but he later broke his own record by bowling at 156.2 km/h in the IPL game against Kolkata Knight Riders in 2010.

Original Source:- Ten Fastest Bowlers In Cricket History
dinkey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 08:33   #2
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,397
I always felt Thompson was shortchanged by the recording equipment, he's certainly the fastest I've seen, and consistently, despite what the speedometers say.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 09:09   #3
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,918
I don't know where I read/or saw it, but Thompson was probably closer to 165kms at his peak, as they tracked the arm speed, and not the ball in that era.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 09:46   #4
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,087
Can't believe that Marshall wouldn't have been up in the mid 150s. He was very, very quick in the early to mid 80s.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 09:48   #5
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Can't believe that Marshall wouldn't have been up in the mid 150s. He was very, very quick in the early to mid 80s.
Holding too from 1976 to 1981.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 09:59   #6
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Holding too from 1976 to 1981.
Sadly I can't remember that part of 'Whispering Death's' career so well. I remember that in 1984 he was bowling off a fair bit of a shorter run until during THAT Oval test when he then stretched his run from near the boundary and looked extremely quick, not much slower than Marshall.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 10:02   #7
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Sadly I can't remember that part of 'Whispering Death's' career so well. I remember that in 1984 he was bowling off a fair bit of a shorter run until during THAT Oval test when he then stretched his run from near the boundary and looked extremely quick, not much slower than Marshall.
There's a story that he was joshed by a West Indian fan in the crowd, who said he'd been there to see Mikey bowl like fire off his long run in 1976 and was wondering why he'd slowed down.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 10:20   #8
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
There's a story that he was joshed by a West Indian fan in the crowd, who said he'd been there to see Mikey bowl like fire off his long run in 1976 and was wondering why he'd slowed down.
I recall that Holding himself being treated to rather raucous comments about him having taken up spin bowling back in the Windies when he first started using a shorter run-up.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 11:15   #9
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 7,640
Perhaps it may be pertinent to mention that it is only fairly recently that we have had the ability to measure bowling speeds accurately.

Old cine film frame rates cannot be relied upon to accurately measure the bowling speed of, for example, Larwood who was described as "incredibly fast" during the "Bodyline" series of 1932/33.

It is very unlikely that these are actually the "Ten Fastest Bowlers In Cricket History".
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 12:19   #10
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,142
Who was the chap Marshall knocked out in 84? Clips of that delivery make him look terrifyingly fast, although that is often the case from the behind the stumps angle.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 15:17   #11
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Who was the chap Marshall knocked out in 84? Clips of that delivery make him look terrifyingly fast, although that is often the case from the behind the stumps angle.
Andy Lloyd. Still, I believe, the only Test match opener to never have been dismissed.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 17:49   #12
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 761
Patrick Patterson is probably the quickest I have ever seen on TV.
I was at Cape Town when Shoaib did the 100mph ball and to be honest he did not appear to be "scary" quick
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 18:50   #13
Comte Nom de Plume
County 1st Team
 
Comte Nom de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gloucestershire
Team(s): Worcs and Yorks CCCs
Posts: 399
Jeff Thompson was very fast and his unusual action, with his bowling arm starting low, provided some real fizz.

Holding, starting his run-up just inside the boundary at times was very quick and his sheer athleticism kind of accentuated it.

No-one's mentioned Frank Tyson who I saw playing a county game when I was very long. In contrast to Holding his run-up was rather untidy but still pretty long.
What struck was how far back wicket-keeper Keith Andrew was standing - I don't recall any other keeper standing as far back to any other bowler. Tyson relied completely on pace and as a result his career was fairly short. But he was arguably the quickest of his time.
Comte Nom de Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 18:56   #14
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkey007 View Post
Cricket is third most watched real group activity in the behind Football and Rugby and cricket is taking care of business when a quick bowler running in at full speed and threatening batsmen. In spite of the fact that seeing bowlers disturbing batsmen is far and few between these day as cricket has advanced with expansion of shorter arrangement like T20 where Batsman rule bowlers. We investigate a portion of the quickest bowlers in history of cricket.

1. Shoaib Akhtar 161.3 km/h

There are quickest bowlers and than their is Shoaib Akhtar, he consistantly astonished 150 km/h in his vocation but short one and achieved a world record speed amid World Cup 2003 against England when his delivered a 161.3 km/h speed of a bowl to Englah d knick Knight. He turn into the principal bowler to achieve speed of 100 miles a hour in authority ICC coordinate.

2. Brett Lee 161.1 km/h

Alongside Shoaib Akhtar, Australian quick bowler Brett Lee was at the pinnacle of his forces amid his profession and he threatened batsman everywhere throughout the cricketing scene coming to more than 150 km/h reliably. He turned into the second bowler in history to record a 100 miles for every speed amid 2005 ODI diversion against New Zealand when he recorded 161.1 km/h (100.1 miles/ph). Achieving one off top speed is a certain something, yet what made Shoaib Akhtar and Brett Lee the speediest bowlers was the reality they could reliably deliver velocities of around 150 km/h amid their vocations not at all like alternate names in rundown.

3. Shaun Tait 161.1 km/h

Another Australia name in the rundown is Shaun Tait, whos vocation was fleeting yet was fun while it kept going. He was not your normal tall bowler with standard round arm knocking down some pins activity however he could truly hit the deck hard with his pacy and skiddy playing line and length. He recorded 160.7 km/h rocking the bowling alley speed against Pakistan in the ODI amusement in Australia.

4. Jeffrey Thompson 160.6 km/h

Presently this can be dubious on the grounds that its difficult to accept there was sufficiently exact instrument to record knocking down some pins speeds in 1976 however he was certainly the quickest bowlers of his period. Clearly he recorded the speediest knocking down some pins speed in world cricket of 160.6 km/h in the nets in 1976 when a quick rocking the bowling alley study was led.

Numerous batsman of Thompson time trust that he was quicker that Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar. Jeffrey Thompson himself trust that he was the speediest ever and some of his conveyances were path speedier than 160km/h.

5. Andy Roberts 159.5 km/h

Tall West Indies bowler in the brilliant era of West Indies cricket Andy Roberts was a piece of a considerable West Indies knocking down some pins units. They were all quick yet Andy Roberts emerged with his speed and numerous batsman of his era respect him one of the speediest they have ever confronted. His quickest bowl is recorded at the speed of 159.5 km/h which 99.11 miles/h.

6. Fidel Edwards 157.7 km/h

Another West Indies bowler yet from the present harvest, Edwards is frustratingly inconsistant yet he consistantly bowls quick and recorded his speediest conveyance at the speed of 157.7 km/h amid ODI amusement against South Africa in 2003 which sort of put him the spotlight. Yet, since than he has neglected to accomplish the buildup encompassing his speed.

7. Mitchell Johnson 156.8 km/h

Mitchel Johnson profession was going no place yet he turned all around in the late Ashes arrangement in Australia where he tricked English batsman with his crude pace and animosity and recorded his speediest ball at 156.8 kmph in the fourth Ashes test. That arrangement was somewhat defining moment in his profession and now he is broadly viewed as one of the best quick bowlers at present dynamic.

8. Muhammad Sami 156.4 km/h

Another quick bowler another comparative story, a gifted youngman with a short cricket vocation. Muhammad Sami rose to acclaim when Wasim and Waqar resigned. He was geniun quick bowler however regularly missed his line and length in prsuit speed. His speediest bowl was recorded at 156.4 kmph against Zimbabwe in UAE.

9. Shane Bond 156.4 km/h

A versatile fast bowler with smooth run-up and bowling action, Shane Bond was constant threat to batsman all over the world but like many other geniun fast bowlers his career was plagued by injuries but when fit he was quite a sight. He fastest bowl is recorded at 156.2 kmph in South Africa during world cup 2003.

10. Dale Steyn 156.2 km/h

Dale Steyn has been number 1 test bowler for last several years and he is more known for his compact line & length than sheer pace. he record a 155.7 km/h speed against New Zealand in 2009 but he later broke his own record by bowling at 156.2 km/h in the IPL game against Kolkata Knight Riders in 2010.

Original Source:- Ten Fastest Bowlers In Cricket History
Should dmoestic games be taken into account? And just how accurate was Thompsons' reading?

Personally, I was lucky enough to grow up in a gen of the worlds fastest bowlers (Wasim, Donald, Waqar etc) and the fastest I ever saw was Akhtar. And consistently fast too. NOt just ratcheting it up every now and then but doing it almost all the damn time. I loved his last truly great spell in tests against England 05/06. Monster!
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 19:23   #15
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,669
I'm surprised there isn't technology out there that could accurately measure the speed of the older bowlers from TV clips. Generally I don't think anyone has bowled 95mph+ on a regular basis, back in the day it probably looked quicker as batting was a hell of a lot more dangerous than it is nowadays. It must have been difficult to practice in the nets too before bowling machines were available.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 19:33   #16
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 7,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I'm surprised there isn't technology out there that could accurately measure the speed of the older bowlers from TV clips. ...
Many old TV clips are provided from cine film. I doubt we will get technology that can accurately assess ancient cine camera frame rates. There are too many moving parts and variations in performance involved, not just from one camera to another but with the same camera from one day (or perhaps even minute) to another.

It seems reasonable to assume, though, that the 10 fastest ever are unlikely to be amongst those we have been able to measure.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 20:49   #17
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
It seems reasonable to assume, though, that the 10 fastest ever are unlikely to be amongst those we have been able to measure.
It's possibly not unfeasible, though, that the 10 consistently fastest ever were from the past 40 years. Almost all other fastest/longest/highest sporting records have been ratcheted up during that time.

Although, we all know that Charles Jesse Kortright was the fastest bowler of all time.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 21:10   #18
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
It's possibly not unfeasible, though, that the 10 consistently fastest ever were from the past 40 years. Almost all other fastest/longest/highest sporting records have been ratcheted up during that time.

Although, we all know that Charles Jesse Kortright was the fastest bowler of all time.
Exactly, you think of Shaun Tait who basically built himself purely to bowl as quickly as possible with a slingy action over four overs an innings in T20 only touched 100mph once in a game, it seems far fetched that bowlers in a previous era were bowling quicker in Test/first class cricket.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:33   #19
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Exactly, you think of Shaun Tait who basically built himself purely to bowl as quickly as possible with a slingy action over four overs an innings in T20 only touched 100mph once in a game, it seems far fetched that bowlers in a previous era were bowling quicker in Test/first class cricket.
In fact, I've never been seduced by speed records. I'm more interested in the effect certain pacemen have had by bowling above and beyond the ordinary 'top pace' for their era. Kortright was probably, in all honesty, no quicker than a current Div Two first change seamer but, in his pomp, terrified the bejaysus out of some of the leading bats of his time. It's difficult to imagine that Larwood in Australia really revved up the same number of clicks as Johnson during the last away Ashes, but entirely feasible that, at the time, he was the fastest anyone has seen Down Under (and never forget his unerring accuracy, at least as important a factor in the Leg Theory success as his extra pace).

It's also interesting to ponder how many of the men on the 'quickest' list in the OP would seriously make anyone's all time World Xi, or even second/third XI. As with serving in tennis, pace like fire is great but you have to be able to put it in the right place.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 11:59   #20
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 7,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
It's possibly not unfeasible, though, that the 10 consistently fastest ever were from the past 40 years. Almost all other fastest/longest/highest sporting records have been ratcheted up during that time. ...
It is true that new sporting records have generally been set as time goes by. However, it is also true that much of the periphery surrounding sport, such as equipment, has improved with time and also, sadly, that more sophisticated ways of cheating have been discovered.

For fast bowling, though, there is no reason to assume that in the course of a few decades, more recent years have seen improvements in the natural attributes of those who hurl down a cricket ball as fast as they possibly can.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org