Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2013, 21:15   #21
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002 View Post
Impressive figures in first class matches, lets just hope ecb picks him and not wait an eternity like they did with swann
Swann hasn't got long left. Panesar's better days are behind him and I'm not impressed with Tredmill.

Kerrigan has jumped ahead of Briggs who has lost his shine and Borthwick who is now a batsman who bowls rather than the other way round.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 21:26   #22
martin201002
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Team(s): Notts Liverpoolfc england
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Swann hasn't got long left. Panesar's better days are behind him and I'm not impressed with Tredmill.

Kerrigan has jumped ahead of Briggs who has lost his shine and Borthwick who is now a batsman who bowls rather than the other way round.
Briggs is better in t20 I think, yeah swann is 34 now at most another 3/4 years left
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 23:59   #23
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,014
Well they keep on picking Onions.

After his operation picked for the following squads

India
Pakistan
West Indies - 1 Test
South Africa
India
New Zealand
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 10:05   #24
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,235
If a player constantly gets picked but isn't included in the playing XI, it either means the playing XI is extremely good and supremely fit or the player picked does not inspire confidence to be in the playing XI.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 10:24   #25
martin201002
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Team(s): Notts Liverpoolfc england
Posts: 569
Graham Onions confidence aint going to improve unless he gets picked.
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 10:25   #26
martin201002
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Team(s): Notts Liverpoolfc england
Posts: 569
Any english international quality left armers?

Apart from Topley is there any more decent left arm seamers around?
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 10:33   #27
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002 View Post
Graham Onions confidence aint going to improve unless he gets picked.
And he'll get picked only if Cook has confidence in him.

Do the players who aren't in the playing XI, at least some of them, get a chance to play in the county matches or are they expected to be around the team?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 13:10   #28
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002 View Post
Apart from Topley is there any more decent left arm seamers around?
I don't really think Topley has established himself as "international quality". Not that bothered if we don't have a left-armer. The only one whose stuck around (nae, even selected?) in the past 15 years is Sidebottom and although he was a decent international player he was limited. We've done alright without them, to be honest.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 13:47   #29
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
And he'll get picked only if Cook has confidence in him.

Do the players who aren't in the playing XI, at least some of them, get a chance to play in the county matches or are they expected to be around the team?
If there are first class matches being played then they would be released to play to have match practice even joining once their county game has started.

Wednesday - Yorkshire, Middlesex
2nd Day of the 3rd Test - Yorkshire, Middlesex, Durham
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 18:20   #30
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
If there are first class matches being played then they would be released to play to have match practice even joining once their county game has started.

Wednesday - Yorkshire, Middlesex
2nd Day of the 3rd Test - Yorkshire, Middlesex, Durham
Thank you. That at least ensures Onions is match-fit, if he were to be called upon.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 18:38   #31
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
I don't really think Topley has established himself as "international quality". Not that bothered if we don't have a left-armer. The only one whose stuck around (nae, even selected?) in the past 15 years is Sidebottom and although he was a decent international player he was limited. We've done alright without them, to be honest.
One reason to have a left-armer is that they can tend to scuff up the other side of the wicket, making some rough for the off-spinner to pitch the ball into later in the game. But if the oppo have a left-armer and you bat long, you can get that without having one of your own.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 22:50   #32
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebras V2.0 View Post
As regards Mills he's had a pretty ropey season despite his TV heroics against England.
Get him away from Grayson's influence, now.

Look how good Cooky turned out when saved from the grasp of Grayson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002 View Post
Apart from Topley is there any more decent left arm seamers around?
Tymal Mills.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 23:06   #33
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002 View Post
Apart from Topley is there any more decent left arm seamers around?
David Willey 23
Bat 27.40
Ball 29.13 - 40 f/c matches 5 5fers 1 10fer
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 14:22   #34
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
David Willey 23
Bat 27.40
Ball 29.13 - 40 f/c matches 5 5fers 1 10fer
Is Willey really only 23? Wow, had him down as much older. He seems to have been around for ages.

Best left-armer in county cricket at the moment is probably Keith Barker.

Although I see Mills has picked up two wickets on a flat-track relatively cheaply...
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 14:28   #35
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebras V2.0 View Post
As regards Mills he's had a pretty ropey season despite his TV heroics against England.
The England game was the first occasion in about five that I've seen Mills look useful. Most of the time, he's bowled either big half-volleys or sky high bouncers that are a danger only to Fozzie's fingertips.

I wasn't at all impressed with Jordan when I saw him against Middx a few weeks back. A very good batting wicket which he didn't seem to able to cope with. But I'm sure this was a one-off....I've always wanted this lad to make it.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 15:17   #36
martin201002
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Team(s): Notts Liverpoolfc england
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
The England game was the first occasion in about five that I've seen Mills look useful. Most of the time, he's bowled either big half-volleys or sky high bouncers that are a danger only to Fozzie's fingertips.

I wasn't at all impressed with Jordan when I saw him against Middx a few weeks back. A very good batting wicket which he didn't seem to able to cope with. But I'm sure this was a one-off....I've always wanted this lad to make it.
depends if jordan wants to represent england
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 15:23   #37
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002 View Post
depends if jordan wants to represent england
Not really bothered about his international prospects...just want to see a top class Championship performer.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 15:33   #38
martin201002
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Team(s): Notts Liverpoolfc england
Posts: 569
think he'll definitely be a brilliant county bowler
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 19:42   #39
P@ulos
International Cricketer
 
P@ulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wakefield
Team(s): Yorkshire & England
Posts: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Is Willey really only 23? Wow, had him down as much older. He seems to have been around for ages.

Best left-armer in county cricket at the moment is probably Keith Barker.

Although I see Mills has picked up two wickets on a flat-track relatively cheaply...
Willey's age surprised me as well. Not sure if he's international class, not yet anyway but he does seem to have improved this year. Bowls mid 80's so he's quick enough and swings the ball. In a lot of ways he reminds me of the Aussie Faulkner.

There's a group of untested seamers in England that could go on to e god international bowlers. Harris, Meaker, Roland Jones, Topley, Mills, Overton, Jordan & Coles.

Any of those could potentially come through and play for England, although in the long run I feel Topley & Overton have the best chance for a long England career.

Saying that I've always rated Harris and I do believe he'd do a good job for England if he got a chance. Then there's Meaker who's a far better first class bowler than the one we've seen playing for England in one day cricket. Roland-Jones is another I've been mighty impressed with, another who if ever given a chance could do well for us.

Mills is only 20 years old and has got the one thing you can't really coach, pace and he's a lefty too, which makes him quite rare. He's only played 15 first class games yet so it's very early days but he's an exciting prospect. I do think as he matures, he should gain more control over what he sends down.
P@ulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 19:52   #40
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by P@ulos View Post
Willey's age surprised me as well. Not sure if he's international class, not yet anyway but he does seem to have improved this year. Bowls mid 80's so he's quick enough and swings the ball. In a lot of ways he reminds me of the Aussie Faulkner.

There's a group of untested seamers in England that could go on to e god international bowlers. Harris, Meaker, Roland Jones, Topley, Mills, Overton, Jordan & Coles.

Any of those could potentially come through and play for England, although in the long run I feel Topley & Overton have the best chance for a long England career.

Saying that I've always rated Harris and I do believe he'd do a good job for England if he got a chance. Then there's Meaker who's a far better first class bowler than the one we've seen playing for England in one day cricket. Roland-Jones is another I've been mighty impressed with, another who if ever given a chance could do well for us.

Mills is only 20 years old and has got the one thing you can't really coach, pace and he's a lefty too, which makes him quite rare. He's only played 15 first class games yet so it's very early days but he's an exciting prospect. I do think as he matures, he should gain more control over what he sends down.
Well, on that count he can get advice from Saj Mahmood down at Chelmsford.

Ah, ********...
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:58.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org