Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2015, 21:17   #61
The Scorer
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 27
If you'd like to know more about the story of women's cricket, read "Skirting the Boundary" by Isabelle Duncan.

Written in 2013, so it's not completely up to date, it's a description of the beginnings and then the development of the game since the Second World War.

It's written in a fairly breezy style, but succeeds in telling a good story, and I enjoyed it.
__________________
Garage Manager: You must have shot an awful lot of tigers, sir.
Charlie Croker: Yes, I used a machine gun.
The Scorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 20:14   #62
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,618
England's bowlers tying the Aussies down again.

Katherine Brunt's quite nippy, up to 75mph at times. Bresnan wouldn't even be the fastest bowler in the women's side....
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 21:55   #63
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
England's bowlers tying the Aussies down again.

Katherine Brunt's quite nippy, up to 75mph at times. Bresnan wouldn't even be the fastest bowler in the women's side....
Sadly none of them hit it off the square. That was the best Oz and eng have to offer. The super league will be fun.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 09:30   #64
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,522
They could learn something from our men.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 12:14   #65
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,524
Former England bowler Megan Lowe has reached her century today.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 09:46   #66
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Australian bowler Pippa Clearly banned for six months for betting on a men's match. There are probably rules in place but this seems a little harsh.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 17:53   #67
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,618
Not the first to face such a ban too. The zero tolerance approach is understandable but is it workable?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 18:33   #68
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Australian bowler Pippa Clearly banned for six months for betting on a men's match. There are probably rules in place but this seems a little harsh.
There were rules in place that had been explained to her just 2 months beforehand as part of her anti-corruption training.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 21:01   #69
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
There were rules in place that had been explained to her just 2 months beforehand as part of her anti-corruption training.
True, but I'm not sure what impact the authorities could possibly think a women player could have on the mens game, or vice versa, when designing these guidelines.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 22:13   #70
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,668
Charlotte Edwards is set to resign as England Captain according to the BBC.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 13:30   #71
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,192
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmmddKsWgAAXWyU.jpg

1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 22:34   #72
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,538
The boundaries being used in the women's internationals this year have been embarrassing.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 23:37   #73
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
The boundaries being used in the women's internationals this year have been embarrassing.
It's made scores of around or better than a run a ball feasible, rather than laughably improbable. Whether that's a good thing or not is an open question.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 18:15   #74
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,618
The women's WC seems to be enjoying the sunny weather and is very tight at the top with 5 teams fighting for four semi-final places separated by just 1 point.

England now top after a nail biting victory over the Aussies today.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 21:14   #75
blackeyedangles
County 1st Team
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
It's made scores of around or better than a run a ball feasible, rather than laughably improbable. Whether that's a good thing or not is an open question.
I mean, given that it seems inevitable that scores will be compared with the men's game, in an ODI era where 300 is very chaseable, you can make a case for this.

I don't follow these things all that closely but it seems that some records were set recently in the women's game.

AUS vs ENG was a good match - went down to the last ball (with six needed to win).
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 21:22   #76
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
The women's WC seems to be enjoying the sunny weather and is very tight at the top with 5 teams fighting for four semi-final places separated by just 1 point.

England now top after a nail biting victory over the Aussies today.
Their remaining group games - against NZ and WI - give them a pretty good chance of claiming the 'easier' semi final.

However....England's ultimate chances of winning the cup vanished a couple of days ago when I bought myself a ticket for the Final.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 21:27   #77
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,456
England seem a bit fragile at key moments but there is a lot to like about this side.

Mostly Sarah Taylor who is bae.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 21:38   #78
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Zebrorter View Post
England seem a bit fragile at key moments but there is a lot to like about this side.
I like the novelty of a Kent contingent in an England squad.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 21:40   #79
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
I like the novelty of a Kent contingent in an England squad.
So that's where it's coming from...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 21:41   #80
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Their remaining group games - against NZ and WI - give them a pretty good chance of claiming the 'easier' semi final.

However....England's ultimate chances of winning the cup vanished a couple of days ago when I bought myself a ticket for the Final.
An Elysse Perry replica shirt is in the post.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:04.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org