Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2015, 14:02   #101
YAMS
Banned
 
YAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Michelle, RS, Sir Virgs, YAMS...?
Hales isn't a test level opener. He is far too loose defensively. He may well come off from time to time & look fantastic but it will be far too rare an occurrence.

Steyn will eat him up this series.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 19:01   #102
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,114
His technique looked a lot better than I thought it would be, though his shot selection for his wicket wasn't the best.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 19:05   #103
Rigs
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
Hales isn't a test level opener. He is far too loose defensively. He may well come off from time to time & look fantastic but it will be far too rare an occurrence.

Steyn will eat him up this series.
Said it before and will say it again, IMHO Hales is much more suited to 3 or, even better 4, in red ball cricket. England are determined to go for an attacking option opening with Cook so unfortunately whoever is picked will nick off quite a bit.
__________________
This is an ex-Parrot
Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 19:07   #104
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Michelle, RS, Sir Virgs, YAMS...?
I am against it. He failed as an opener at notts didn't he? Scored runs down the order. When Ali says short form specialist he means t20 I assume because he is not an odi specialist. Maybe WI should call up pollard as their test all rounder?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 19:53   #105
Rigs
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
I am against it. He failed as an opener at notts didn't he? Scored runs down the order. When Ali says short form specialist he means t20 I assume because he is not an odi specialist. Maybe WI should call up pollard as their test all rounder?
When he opened for Notts in FC last season (2015) he got the following scores

18, 3, 85, 9, 189, 6 so 310 @ 51. He finished the season with an ave of 51 with the rest of his runs coming 'down the order' at 3!!! Here to help
__________________
This is an ex-Parrot
Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 20:01   #106
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,256
It's an issue of the profound paucity of alternatives isn't it? A bit like Moeen, although of course with rather more pedigree as an opener and without an all rounder's role, he's batting in a position his game isn't best suited to for the good of the team. He is, as Rigs says, more of a 3 or 4. I think Compton is a more natural fit as opener but clearly the selectors are reluctant to bog us down with Cook as the quick scoring one in an opening partnership and I'm not sure they're wrong.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 20:11   #107
Rigs
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 1,542
Hales is in because he is the best 'attacking' opener in England at this moment. We have tried Lyth, Carberry, Trott, Root, Robson and Compton (I may have missed 1 or 2) and all have not worked for whatever reason. If we had another player like Tres or Strauss I am quite confident Hales wouldn't be near the white of England.
__________________
This is an ex-Parrot
Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 20:17   #108
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs View Post
When he opened for Notts in FC last season (2015) he got the following scores

18, 3, 85, 9, 189, 6 so 310 @ 51. He finished the season with an ave of 51 with the rest of his runs coming 'down the order' at 3!!! Here to help
Nice one ta. I was wrong then. My view is obviously blinded by his stats opening in one day internationals.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 20:34   #109
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
It's an issue of the profound paucity of alternatives isn't it? A bit like Moeen, although of course with rather more pedigree as an opener and without an all rounder's role, he's batting in a position his game isn't best suited to for the good of the team. He is, as Rigs says, more of a 3 or 4. I think Compton is a more natural fit as opener but clearly the selectors are reluctant to bog us down with Cook as the quick scoring one in an opening partnership and I'm not sure they're wrong.
Quite. I can see why people have reservations about Hales, less sure why there is quite the anti-Hales sentiment compared to the other, some worse, alternatives.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 20:58   #110
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Quite. I can see why people have reservations about Hales, less sure why there is quite the anti-Hales sentiment compared to the other, some worse, alternatives.
In a few cases some invective seems to be because he's overtaken their own favourite, be it in the ODI team or the test team.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 21:03   #111
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
In a few cases some invective seems to be because he's overtaken their own favourite, be it in the ODI team or the test team.
And some people don't think he is quite good enough for tests and ODI and the team could be improved with someone else.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 21:24   #112
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
And some people don't think he is quite good enough for tests and ODI and the team could be improved with someone else.
Who would you have for each? I must admit I would have been more tempted to have Compton opening with Cook in tests for the moment, but for ODIs?
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 21:29   #113
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Who would you have for each? I must admit I would have been more tempted to have Compton opening with Cook in tests for the moment, but for ODIs?
Roy and Ali.

But with Hales at 3 though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 21:29   #114
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Quite. I can see why people have reservations about Hales, less sure why there is quite the anti-Hales sentiment compared to the other, some worse, alternatives.
Indeed. I have no great optimism about Hales being good enough at opener but where else should we turn? I'd have had Root at opener a few series ago but clearly there is an argument (albeit one that's probably fallacious) around him not being moved from where he's done so well in the middle order (apart from to other bits of the middle order). Other than Root, Compton was the least bad of the guys we've tried and has duly made it back in but not to open because of the risk you'd have a successful opening partnership but the middle order would have died of boredom before coming in.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 14:45   #115
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Would anyone swap Hales and Compton around for the final Test? Hales has done better than I thought he would, but I suspect he'll only come off about 1 in 5 innings.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 15:14   #116
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Would anyone swap Hales and Compton around for the final Test? Hales has done better than I thought he would, but I suspect he'll only come off about 1 in 5 innings.
I think they'll stick with the team as it is.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 17:13   #117
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,010
Hales has performed as badly as I expected him to. His playing off the front foot was never going to be conducive to test matches. A return of 120 runs in six innings, is fairly poor, especially if you take the one innings of 60 out of the equation. He doesn't have the game to do any better. Get him a taxi.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 19:13   #118
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
Hales has performed as badly as I expected him to. His playing off the front foot was never going to be conducive to test matches. A return of 120 runs in six innings, is fairly poor, especially if you take the one innings of 60 out of the equation. He doesn't have the game to do any better. Get him a taxi.
I normally would object to this, but honestly I watched that 60 and thought it wasn't very convincing. His flaws outside off stump were evident throughout. He'd have to do something special in the last Test to keep his place for the summer.
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 19:16   #119
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I normally would object to this, but honestly I watched that 60 and thought it wasn't very convincing. His flaws outside off stump were evident throughout. He'd have to do something special in the last Test to keep his place for the summer.
I have to confess I thought he was a curious pick. However, if he fails at Centurion who then? I suspect he may be given the early season tests against Sri Lanka to find his feet.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 19:26   #120
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
I have to confess I thought he was a curious pick. However, if he fails at Centurion who then? I suspect he may be given the early season tests against Sri Lanka to find his feet.
I suggested that Lees or Abell may get a turn if they had a good start to the season, but they're probably a year or two away still. England are missing a Lions first class tour this winter where someone could stake a claim.

Going with a youngster is one of a few possible routes - they could stick with Hales, try Lyth or Robson again (these guys did at least score a ton before having a bad Ashes series) or move Compton up. I think the last option depends on how wedded they are to Ballance batting at 3 - personally I would keep Compton where he is, rather than creating a second problem at 3.
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org