Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2011, 07:57   #101
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In Caesar the Lion's house
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, SACS, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by static1812 View Post
where are you finding to follow this ... it's dead trousers on cricinfo?
I just kept doing a Twitter search under "England Lions".
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 08:36   #102
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,359
Excellent news Taylor is doing well. Firstly for England I think he has the best potential as I am still not convinced by Hildreth and secondly we get to keep Hildreth if Taylor plays for England. Splendid.

It seems Kieswetter is finding his mojo again. Excellent for Somerset again (although I expect ODI keeper to be up for grabs in a few weeks)
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 11:25   #103
DoStopItAggers
County Pro
 
DoStopItAggers's Avatar
Black Dog Stopping Play!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 899
You can't argue with Taylor's runs but I wonder whether he's going to have to move to a Division 1 county to get a reasonable run at the England side - which is sad in a way but is possibly reflective of current thinking (and there does seem to be a considerable gulf between the two divisions).

For that reason, and because the England hierarchy are invariably happier promoting from within (and we can't argue with the results in Test cricket, there's a little urn that will testify to that) I would expect Morgan and Bopara to be at the front of the queue, with Hildreth, Adams & Gale also in front of Taylor due to the level of cricket they play at.

Again - not something I'd necessarily support but just a gut feel based on past selector thinking. I'd like to be proved wrong and see Taylor given a crack, to be honest.
__________________
Members feel free to check out my "Black Dog Stopped Play" blog!!!
DoStopItAggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 15:34   #104
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,359
Morgan has never played div one has he? Averages about 34 or something in div 2
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 16:00   #105
DoStopItAggers
County Pro
 
DoStopItAggers's Avatar
Black Dog Stopping Play!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 899
That's true but then his route into the side came through achievement in ODIs; and he broke into that side through a series of high-profile performances on the domestic 50-over scene. That could be a route in for Taylor or any other batsman, especially with Lord Collingwood's days numbered...
__________________
Members feel free to check out my "Black Dog Stopped Play" blog!!!
DoStopItAggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 16:05   #106
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStopItAggers View Post
You can't argue with Taylor's runs but I wonder whether he's going to have to move to a Division 1 county to get a reasonable run at the England side - which is sad in a way but is possibly reflective of current thinking (and there does seem to be a considerable gulf between the two divisions).

For that reason, and because the England hierarchy are invariably happier promoting from within (and we can't argue with the results in Test cricket, there's a little urn that will testify to that) I would expect Morgan and Bopara to be at the front of the queue, with Hildreth, Adams & Gale also in front of Taylor due to the level of cricket they play at.

Again - not something I'd necessarily support but just a gut feel based on past selector thinking. I'd like to be proved wrong and see Taylor given a crack, to be honest.
Their Division could play a part in them originally being picked, but when they're in the setup I would think they're judged on their own.
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 18:32   #107
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStopItAggers View Post
For that reason, and because the England hierarchy are invariably happier promoting from within (and we can't argue with the results in Test cricket, there's a little urn that will testify to that) I would expect Morgan and Bopara to be at the front of the queue, with Hildreth, Adams & Gale also in front of Taylor due to the level of cricket they play at.
I would be shocked if Taylor was behind the likes of Adams and Gale in the pecking order.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 19:32   #108
JKLever
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Team(s): Essex & England
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStopItAggers View Post
That's true but then his route into the side came through achievement in ODIs; and he broke into that side through a series of high-profile performances on the domestic 50-over scene. That could be a route in for Taylor or any other batsman, especially with Lord Collingwood's days numbered...

Alastair Cook & Ravi Bopara got into the test side and they both played Div 2 cricket.
JKLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 20:52   #109
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,359
I said last summer that Taylor was the man for the job so I am firmly nailing my colours to his mast. from here on i shall twist every stat to prove he is the best ever
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 07:58   #110
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In Caesar the Lion's house
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, SACS, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
I said last summer that Taylor was the man for the job so I am firmly nailing my colours to his mast. from here on i shall twist every stat to prove he is the best ever
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 16:53   #111
Slater
International Material
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Herefordshire
Team(s): England
Posts: 1,856
England Lions won the toss and elected to bat at Queens Park Oval, Port of Spain v Trinidad & Tobago.

Lions XI: Jimmy Adams, Adam Lyth, Andrew Gale, James Hildreth*, James Taylor, Craig Kieswetter+, Adil Rashid, Liam Plunkett, Danny Briggs, Jade Dernbach, Nathan Buck.

Adams 14
Lyth 34
Gale 54*
Hildreth 17*

Lunch, Day 1 - England Lions 120/2

These two sides are top of the table.
Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 17:05   #112
shivfan
County Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
England Lions won the toss and elected to bat at Queens Park Oval, Port of Spain v Trinidad & Tobago.

Lions XI: Jimmy Adams, Adam Lyth, Andrew Gale, James Hildreth*, James Taylor, Craig Kieswetter+, Adil Rashid, Liam Plunkett, Danny Briggs, Jade Dernbach, Nathan Buck.

Adams 14
Lyth 34
Gale 54*
Hildreth 17*

Lunch, Day 1 - England Lions 120/2

These two sides are top of the table.
Alongside Jamaica, who are the defending champions....

Trinidad strangely dropped a batsman to include bowling allrounder Sherwin Ganga, Darren Ganga's younger brother. I suspect that gamble may backfire on them....

GYvWIN: Guyana re 62/4 at lunch. Batsmen out are: Rajendra Chandrika (2), Shemroy Barrington (16), Leon Johnson (6), Assad Fudadin (7).

CCCvLI: LUNCH; CCC 103/2 Corbin 58* Currency 32* Tonge 6-2-9-1 Baker 7-3--12-1

JAvBD: "Nash retired hurt on 17 Jamaica 109/2. New batsman is Lambert." JAvBD: Lunch Jamaica 111/2 from 25 overs Hyatt 70, Lambert 1.
__________________
For friendly discussions on international cricket, visit http://www.cricket-match-special.com/index.php
shivfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:56   #113
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,111
238-3 at tea. Gale 108*, Taylor 40*.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:58   #114
sharky
Legendary
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 9,938
Anyone else get the feeling that WI domestic cricket is a bit crap?
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 19:21   #115
Huda
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Bangladesh
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that WI domestic cricket is a bit crap?
If it wasn't crap they they'd be producing quality players and beating good teams, which they currently aren't and likes of Daren Sammy would be long gone.
Huda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 20:59   #116
shivfan
County Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 509
Talking

It's not been the same since the days of the 1970s and 1980s, when Holding said that West Indies domestic cricket was higher quality than county cricket....

Still, that said, the West Indies teams beat Hants and Somerset in the domestic 20/20 tournament last month, so at least in that format, it's not that 'crap'!

Lions not roaring much now....

ENGAvTT: 84.1 Overs. Eng Lions 285/7. Liam Plunkett 2*, Danny Briggs 4. Briggs lbw Gabriel.
__________________
For friendly discussions on international cricket, visit http://www.cricket-match-special.com/index.php
shivfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 21:35   #117
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that WI domestic cricket is a bit crap?
It clearly is, but this isn't the standard to measure it by. England Lions are theoretically the second best England has to offer. You'd expect them
to dominate in county cricket, which is considered relatively strong domestic set-up since it went two divisions.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 22:02   #118
Slater
International Material
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Herefordshire
Team(s): England
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
Lions not roaring much now....

ENGAvTT: 84.1 Overs. Eng Lions 285/7. Liam Plunkett 2*, Danny Briggs 4. Briggs lbw Gabriel.
311/9 at stumps. They went from 244/3 to 285/8.
Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 04:47   #119
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In Caesar the Lion's house
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, SACS, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,484
Gale 110, Taylor 66, Hildreth 40.

Another good day's work.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 09:39   #120
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Gale 110, Taylor 66, Hildreth 40.

Another good day's work.
Gale and Lyth are class acts, they will serve England well in the future.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:15.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org