Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2015, 13:33   #101
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
Wordiness does not always equate to detail. I think you're suggesting some players should be deemed undroppable, which would be foolish.

I'd simply repeat that selection should be a balance between merit and the need to develop players, with nobody guaranteed a place.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 13:59   #102
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Wordiness does not always equate to detail. I think you're suggesting some players should be deemed undroppable, which would be foolish.

I'd simply repeat that selection should be a balance between merit and the need to develop players, with nobody guaranteed a place.
I already stated nobody has a nailed-on guarantee. However, a more coherent selection strategy is essential, with better criteria for what constitutes the type of player needed. We have been too content to select from the Test squad, with a few additions of upcoming youngsters or ODI specialists. This won't cut it.

You appear to be advocating the status quo, more or less. I don't think this will be sufficient, even with the word "merit" highlighted.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 14:25   #103
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
I think you may be advocating the status quo also, with a few "buzzwords" added.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 14:42   #104
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
No, not at all. The status quo is what got us to this sorry state.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 14:56   #105
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
It's good then that a form of words is all that is needed to change it.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 15:26   #106
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Wordiness does not always equate to detail. I think you're suggesting some players should be deemed undroppable, which would be foolish.

I'd simply repeat that selection should be a balance between merit and the need to develop players, with nobody guaranteed a place.
I'd agree, which is why the selectors did so well to pick and stick by that bowler who's taken over 500 international wickets.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 15:33   #107
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
It's good then that a form of words is all that is needed to change it.
You have lost me with your cryptic style of expression. Words are not going to do much unless backed up by a consistent and even ruthless commitment to change the way the ODI program operates.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 15:54   #108
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 39,403
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 18:05   #109
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
You have lost me with your cryptic style of expression. Words are not going to do much unless backed up by a consistent and even ruthless commitment to change the way the ODI program operates.
Jargonese can be puzzling at first too.

I'd add to what's been said before, that it was earmarking young players as the future a while ago that delayed Sidebottom's successful return to international cricket.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 21:25   #110
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Jargonese can be puzzling at first too.

I'd add to what's been said before, that it was earmarking young players as the future a while ago that delayed Sidebottom's successful return to international cricket.
I'll choose to ignore the barb.

Who prevented Sidebottom from resuming his international career? Let me guess; Broad and Anderson. Possibly with a side order of Harmison. Anyone else you have in mind?
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 21:27   #111
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
I'll choose to ignore the barb.

Who prevented Sidebottom from resuming his international career? Let me guess; Broad and Anderson. Possibly with a side order of Harmison. Anyone else you have in mind?
Gough and Caddick, maybe.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 09:30   #112
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
I'll choose to ignore the barb.

Who prevented Sidebottom from resuming his international career? Let me guess; Broad and Anderson. Possibly with a side order of Harmison. Anyone else you have in mind?
Good; I ignored yours.

Plunkett, Mahmood ...
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 09:48   #113
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
Sidebottom is certainly a classic example of a bowler overlooked for far too long after an initial debut for England. Largely, he was a victim of the idea that pacers had to bowl an extra couple of yards quicker, unless named Hoggard.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 11:15   #114
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
Also a victim of the policy of identifying players for special treatment and sticking with them as the future "core of the team" in the face of poor performance.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 12:49   #115
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
Sidebottom is certainly a classic example of a bowler overlooked for far too long after an initial debut for England. Largely, he was a victim of the idea that pacers had to bowl an extra couple of yards quicker, unless named Hoggard.
I thought his recall was because he had developed the ability to swing the ball both ways, which he wasn't that great at first time round before he left Yorkshire. There wasn't really a vacancy before then as England's bowling unit had been for the large part successful, and Hoggard was offering the swing option very well.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 13:06   #116
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Also a victim of the policy of identifying players for special treatment and sticking with them as the future "core of the team" in the face of poor performance.
None of those were core for very long though. I also don't think that Sidebottom was hammering the door down at that stage of his career. I remember seeing him at Notts and thinking he was a class above your standard county level but one below international class. Turned out to be an accurate assessment, certainly in tests and ODIs.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 13:46   #117
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
Sidebottom acquitted himself well at international level. It's a shame the type of selection policy now being advocated meant he played far fewer matches than he should have.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 22:25   #118
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Sidebottom acquitted himself well at international level. It's a shame the type of selection policy now being advocated meant he played far fewer matches than he should have.
I'm not disputing your assertion, but why don't you back it up with a brief summary of his accomplishments in his limited opportunities.

Last edited by stevieh : 30th May 2015 at 02:03.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 10:33   #119
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Sidebottom acquitted himself well at international level. It's a shame the type of selection policy now being advocated meant he played far fewer matches than he should have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
I'm not disputing your assertion, but why don't you back it up with a brief summary of his accomplishments in his limited opportunities.
I think I just did. How brief did you want it to be?

It may be worth adding that Sidebottom's figures may have been better without "old iron gloves" behind the stumps.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 11:07   #120
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
I think I just did. How brief did you want it to be?

It may be worth adding that Sidebottom's figures may have been better without "old iron gloves" behind the stumps.
It is a good thing Ryan doesn't have you as his agent when renegotiating his contract with Yorkshire.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org