Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2016, 11:57   #1
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,192
Too much cricket?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...series-cricket

or too many domestic 20/20 competitions around the world to make money from?

2014 & 2015

Mathews 88 (22 Tests 54 ODIs 12 20/20s) + (11 IPL in 2015)
Buttler 76 (15 Tests 46 ODIs 15 20/20s)
Root 72 (21 Tests 43 ODIs 8 20/20s)

de Villiers 62 (14 Tests 43 ODIs 12 20/20s) + (30 IPL)

Far too many ODIs. Should be 3 series maximum but that wouldn't mean a rest for players as they would be playing in the IPL, PSL, Ram Slam, BSL, CPL, BBL, Georgie Pie....
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 12:40   #2
sanskritsimon
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 9,907
If he doesn't want to play so much cricket he should play less of it. If he does that he will have to choose what kind to drop. He says in one breath that international cricket is his priority and in the other that he can't ignore the high-earning non-international cricket. The poor dear, my heart bleeds for him. But I fail to see how the financial angst of the already disgustingly wealthy is supposed to be of interest to Guardian readers.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 13:05   #3
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,192
De Villiers is said to get 2-3 milllion rand from CSA. 3m is 126,427. That's not much.

1,040,891 from the IPL

Yes retire from international cricket.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 13:46   #4
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...series-cricket

or too many domestic 20/20 competitions around the world to make money from?

2014 & 2015

Mathews 88 (22 Tests 54 ODIs 12 20/20s) + (11 IPL in 2015)
Buttler 76 (15 Tests 46 ODIs 15 20/20s)
Root 72 (21 Tests 43 ODIs 8 20/20s)

de Villiers 62 (14 Tests 43 ODIs 12 20/20s) + (30 IPL)

Far too many ODIs. Should be 3 series maximum but that wouldn't mean a rest for players as they would be playing in the IPL, PSL, Ram Slam, BSL, CPL, BBL, Georgie Pie....
Too much test cricket, too little time for teams to prepare properly for tours, too many lopsided tests and test series, too many meaningless limited over matches and series.

Some ideas - get rid of the FTP and ask each board to submit to the ICC what the ideal calendar of matches for their side would be.
- Split the test sides into three tiers based upon this consultation. Tier 1 play longer, regular test series against each other and shorter series v tier 2; these tours to continue to include LOIs;
Tier 2 play short test series v tier 1 and can be flexible in series format when playing other tier 2 sides;
Tier 3 - tiers 1&2 have no obligation to play Test series against tier 3 on a regular basis but should agree to LOI series. Tier 3 should be encouraged to play short Test series against each other and could include Ireland and Afghanistan.
- In series involving tiers 2&3, results of all matches are incorporated when deciding the winner, along lines of the women's Ashes;
-Get rid of the champions trophy and have the t20 WC in its place;
-reduce number of games in county championship;
- create protected windows for the major t20 leagues (ipl, BBL, CPL?)
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 16:21   #5
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 29
Posts: 13,300
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
De Villiers is said to get 2-3 milllion rand from CSA. 3m is 126,427. That's not much.

1,040,891 from the IPL

Yes retire from international cricket.
Esssentially this is a significant part of the issue we've got.

It's fine for the likes of England, Australia and India who will pay their players pretty handsomely, albeit not on the levels you'd still recieve when compared against say the IPL.

I can't remember how much more England cricketers get paid when compared against their South African counterparts but it was substantially more. Look accross other natinos for instance your West Indies and Sri Lanka and the gulf only grows further. It's a nice romantic concept these players overlooking the $ signs to represent their country but in reality this is a short career and we shouldn't be surprised that players are opting for the bright lights of Twenty20 cricket.

If it was me i'd get ODIs sacked of altogether but that's not going to be a popular vote.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 19:59   #6
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,075
Too much cricket ?

Yes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 23:32   #7
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maty View Post
Esssentially this is a significant part of the issue we've got.

It's fine for the likes of England, Australia and India who will pay their players pretty handsomely, albeit not on the levels you'd still recieve when compared against say the IPL.

I can't remember how much more England cricketers get paid when compared against their South African counterparts but it was substantially more. Look accross other natinos for instance your West Indies and Sri Lanka and the gulf only grows further. It's a nice romantic concept these players overlooking the $ signs to represent their country but in reality this is a short career and we shouldn't be surprised that players are opting for the bright lights of Twenty20 cricket.

If it was me i'd get ODIs sacked of altogether but that's not going to be a popular vote.
Surely the ICC have enough money to guarantee central contracts of at least 150,000 for 15 players for the less well-off Test nations. Then each board can add what they can afford on top so that they can tie down their best players properly.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 21:23   #8
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
If he doesn't want to play so much cricket he should play less of it. If he does that he will have to choose what kind to drop. He says in one breath that international cricket is his priority and in the other that he can't ignore the high-earning non-international cricket. The poor dear, my heart bleeds for him. But I fail to see how the financial angst of the already disgustingly wealthy is supposed to be of interest to Guardian readers.
Problem is that even accepting your arbitrary cut off for disgustingly wealthy (I don't as it happens, as I think AB's wealth is at most mildly nauseating), it's pretty unrealistic to think that people with loads of cash are suddenly somehow no longer motivated by it. If you're indifferent to whether great cricketers play tests or not fair enough but I'm not.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:28.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org